Useless replies

here you can make posts that do not belong in other forums
puterfixer

Useless replies

Post by puterfixer »

I'm going mad. Every few days, I check the activity on this forum, and except for a few replies who have something to say, the rest is "digital garbage" entirely. Messages which have nothing better to say than "yeah I agree" or "lol" and the list can go on forever. And several people on this forum have acquired a large number of posts on the forum without saying anything worth remembering! Do I have to remind everyone that this is a FORUM, not IRC? While chatting, you can afford to go blah-blah-blah all day without saying anything interesting. In contrast, on a forum you have to express yourself in writing in such a manner that your message has a beginning, a conclusion and a POINT. You need to elaborate your answer, say something constructive. If you have nothing important to add to the existing discussion, just shut up and don't fill up the forum with garbage. New visitors who try to follow the discussions will get lost trying to follow a discussion whose remarcable posts are separated by countless useless messages! Where's the efficiency in that? Did the forum reach its purpose - to have a discussion active for later viewing as well? NO. You might as well chat on IRC, where all words disappear in nowhere land when you close the window. The forum was not created as an alternative to IRC. It has a different purpose, and if you want to participate you have to make a comittment for QUALITY posts. If I was a moderator here, or if you were members of the forums I moderate, you would have gotten a warning after the first one-line-useless-post, and a ban after the third. If you can't come up with something interesting or useful to say, go do something more productive with your time. And ours. You know who you are, don't make me post names here. Think 10 times before you click that "Submit" button, re-read your message 10 times and use that protuberance which grows at the top of your neck and is being referred to as "the head", with the question: "Is my message worth being posted here?"

I really hope this will bring some people to their senses, and make this discussion forum an useful one. Otherwise, you might as well just close it down, since it's nothing better than a pointless discussion on IRC.

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

I don't realy know if you have noticed that this forum has over 5200 users registered...How many actualy post ? i think less then 5% are actualy posting something...And if there are short replies there are just giving an answer...I think the big concern should be for those who have a user but don't have any posts, in my opinion they registered the user just for the purpose of not leting others have their name...or who knows for what reason. Out of over 5000 users just 20 or 30 actualy post replyes and try to make some activity for this forum....I agree with you that some of the posts are short and not necesary...sometimes i write short replies just to let the other person know...that i got his message...I don't know why are you so mad about those who make posts ? This is a forum for everyone...if you have something to say say it , but it is not your right to stop others from participateing in this forum...Please be more considerate and respectfull about others opinions and answers. Don't just think in you...everybody has the right to post...that's why this is a forum. On irc you chat about different things....in a forum you give answers to differnet topics...... :x
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

Some people create an username on the forum to be able to use the private messaging system, for example. Or to simply NOT be anonymous when they visit the forum. But you missed the point. This is NOT IRC. You don't have to add one more message just to agree with someone else. For example:

http://www.undernet.org/forum/viewtopic ... 6&start=15 - Post #2 from the top is "You think so? I do too!" What would happen if for each sentence posted, everyone would simply say "I agree" or "I disagree"? Where's the point in that?

http://www.undernet.org/forum/viewtopic ... 5&start=15 - Post #3 from top: "I am really confused" Do we have to guess what you are confused about? Is this supposed to replace a /me is confused? If yes, in which way did this remark help the thread develop?

http://www.undernet.org/forum/viewtopic ... 5&start=15 - Post #6: "COOL, it was about time :)" Says nothing to me. "cool", "yeah", "lol", "thumbs up" are the kind of remarks you say to yourself. They do not constitute a thoughtful, ellaborated reply. They are useless.

Everyone has the right to post, but for Heaven's sake, SAY SOMETHING! To me, this kind of behaviour on the forum has two purposes: to increase the posts number, and to get attention. I do believe I've been on IRC and on online forums for a longer time than you, so if I were you I'd try to learn from people with more experience who might actually give a good advice. And since you're one of the two people this thread targets, I would ask you kindly to be more considerate and respectful with my time, as I have the same right to participate on this forum but NOT see it littered with countless useless posts. Luckily, the moderators are pretty laid back here. On other forums, you wouldn't survive for two hours with such a behaviour and attitude. My goal is to educate, that's why I have spent thousands of hours online during the past few years, but I can't force manners into people's heads, they also have to listen.

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

Once again i have to tell you that everyone has the right to post replays, you have no right to stop others from doing so. I think what you said was very rude, and unrespectfull. One thing i can tell you is that from now i will consider more my replayes...i will not just post nonsense messages...at least i will try...One thing you have to KNOW is that it's not your responsability... Plese respect others answers...for exemple when i said "i agree"...is for others to see how many people agree on a topic...and trust me some times even one word helps...
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

Razvanet wrote:from now i will consider more my replayes...i will not just post nonsense messages...at least i will try...

Thank you. This is exactly what I wanted. I am very aware that I can't control the way people act on the forum, but I can give them suggestions for doing it better.

Bay

Post by Bay »

Just adding some more weight to puterfixer's posts: http://www.undernet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527 << the thread starts out quite well, and then developes into chit chat and the last 3 posts are completely useless. This kind of behaviour should be halted.
And with no desire to offend, I must say that Razvanet has apparenly not learned anything much.