Latin America/Costa Rica

here you can make posts that do not belong in other forums
aclem

Latin America/Costa Rica

Post by aclem »

I live in Costa Rica and tried to connect to undernet. I haven't been on undernet in a long time, and I THINK the servers are refusing me because I now live in Costa Rica, they don't like this IP address. Is there a server I can use or is my problem something else? I am getting the invalid username messages. Thanks.

Eenie

Post by Eenie »

aclem wrote:I live in Costa Rica and tried to connect to undernet. I haven't been on undernet in a long time, and I THINK the servers are refusing me because I now live in Costa Rica, they don't like this IP address. Is there a server I can use or is my problem something else? I am getting the invalid username messages. Thanks.

BBM.

The servers are refusing you for the reason they state. "Invalid username," not because of your location.

Closing Link: 0.0.0.0 (Invalid username [ ]) Disconnected This means the IRC server did not accept the username (User ID) settings in the Ident service (Identd) in mIRC under File/Options/Connect/Identd/. In the error message it shows the part it did not like between the [ ] brackets. Most probably you use characters in your File/ Options/Connect/Identd/User ID settings that the server doesn't like. Make sure you remove all strange characters from your User ID. Remove dots, spaces, and all other non- alphabetical characters.

~Eenie
Just a small fish in a big sea Image

aclem

Post by aclem »

well, I realize you know much more than I do, but I have tried many different user names, all lower case, from 3 to 9 letters and get the same message over and over:

Your username is invalid.
Connect with your real username, in lowercase.
If your mail address were foo@bar.com, your username would be foo.
-
Closing Link: aclemaaa by Montreal.QC.CA.Undernet.org
(USER: Bad username)
-
* Disconnected

I get the same results with any username I can come up with. dogabc, catzyx, etc.

I have no idea why but no username I have tried gets me connected.

Thanks for your reply.

MrEen

Post by MrEen »

aclem wrote:
I get the same results with any username I can come up with. dogabc, catzyx, etc.

I have no idea why but no username I have tried gets me connected.

All I can suggest is make sure you have no control codes in there (like you're trying to make the user section blue, or bold.)
Maybe a change in font could help if you're using a Unicode font and the server doesn't support Unicode.
Just guesses on my part. Hope it might help.

MrEen
The bigger fish.