What firewall do you use?

here you can make posts that do not belong in other forums
Mitko

Post by Mitko »

I don't need it at all, I just read what Spiritfall said. :)
Dimitar Tnokovski aka Mitko
[img]http://rap.com.mk/images/UL/mitko_userbar.gif[/img]

xplora

Post by xplora »

at work, iptables on Fedora Core 2, at home, DynaLink ADSL router, and ipfw on MacOS X 10.4

Who needs a firewall package when all you really need is an OS that doesn't start out with everything OPEN to the world.

Ac1d

Post by Ac1d »

Sygate Personall Firewall Pro.
*PEACE* *LOVE* *FREEDOM* :)

Lysergic

Post by Lysergic »

IP-tables + Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite + bouncer to IRC

Mitko

Post by Mitko »

Lysergic wrote:IP-tables + Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite + bouncer to IRC

Oh my, can you explain me what has to do your "bouncer to IRC" with Firewall ? In generaly bouncers are used just to stay "24/7" on IRC, or to have some "cool" host. Or sometimes, if the person is in a network and there is 1 IP only, (s)he uses bouncer to connect to IRC, since there are too many connections from their IP. Anyway, please explain me what has to do with firewall ?

:roll:

Jay`Z

Post by Jay`Z »

He's probably refering to the bouncer as a proxy, so your real IP address can't be seen....as a measure of security
"All people have the right to stupidity but only some of them abuse the privilege"

Lysergic

Post by Lysergic »

Mitko wrote:
Lysergic wrote:IP-tables + Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite + bouncer to IRC

Oh my, can you explain me what has to do your "bouncer to IRC" with Firewall ? In generaly bouncers are used just to stay "24/7" on IRC, or to have some "cool" host. Or sometimes, if the person is in a network and there is 1 IP only, (s)he uses bouncer to connect to IRC, since there are too many connections from their IP. Anyway, please explain me what has to do with firewall ?

:roll:

I don't have a cool vhost connecte to the bouncer I use, I just use it to not expose my real hostname to IRC. So yes, it gives extra protection in certain moments, as a firewall of sorts - as apart from the usual garbage coming from the net, quite a few attacks came in via IRC.

Why the ":roll:"?
Macedonia is a province in Greece.

Lysergic

Post by Lysergic »

Jay`Z wrote:He's probably refering to the bouncer as a proxy, so your real IP address can't be seen....as a measure of security

Thank you for stating that! :) I can see why you have "#class project" in your signature!!! :)

Mitko

Post by Mitko »

Then, why using it at all when the umode +x gives you the same ? It hides your IP address. With bouncer, you are just using another. Anyway, back to topic. It has nothing to do with Firewall.

Lysergic

Post by Lysergic »

The sole use of a firewall is to protect you, so yes - they are connected, even if indirectly.

Hiding the IP-address from the start would be a good thing, yet I totally understand the focus being shifted from the clients to the servers - though this could be handled in similar ways to DALnet's DNS-solution, the "IX-concept".

zapp

Post by zapp »

After I broke into xplora`s pc I have seen that there is no need to use/install any firewall since all can be breakable :P , so I am not using any at the moment *veg*
*** zappster ***
( zapp@undernet.org )
Channel Service Administrator

Lysergic

Post by Lysergic »

Btw, I should give a push for a firewall interface called "Firestarter" - good and easy for everyone using Linux with KDE/Gnome.

DonnPepe

Post by DonnPepe »

I`m using Outpost Firewall, and I disabled windows firewall

Stefanoo

Post by Stefanoo »

used to use panda .. it expired.. im using windows one.. anywyas i dont need
Stefano @ Douaihy.org

Irku

Post by Irku »

learning about security and configuring an operating system after that is a little better than any firewall,

..in my humble opinion :)