Inactive users

Post your comments, ideas and bug reports about this website here.
sirAndrew

Inactive users

Post by sirAndrew »

I was wondering why usernames are not pruned if they are not active. I don`t know if this forum has the addon but there is a function that prunes users who don`t post in a period of time after they registered.

There was a time on the forum when there were more users than posts. That ment that some users haven`t posted anything at all. So the question is why register usernames if you don`t use them? You can read post withouth registering usernames.

Or better yet the help section of the forum should allow guest to reply and post topics as some register a username ask a question like: Why was my username suspended and than never post again.

Just some suggestions that will keep the forum cleaner.....

Regards,
sirAndrew
sirAndrew @ Undernet.org

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

Wolfyx

Post by Wolfyx »

I think they want to see the highlight when someone opens a new thread or replies to another one....this is in the case when ppl register users just to read posts, not reply to them...and the others that only register a user just to ask a question, then never use the user again...well u`re right there..guess someone should take care of that heh :roll:
I'm an angel, honest! The horns are just there to keep the halo straight

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

Strongly agree!
Look at the Memberlist there are lots of registered users but inactive for a long period of time... you can post and read a thread without getting yourself a username. I wonder what's the purpose of registering yourself a username in the forum and after all you don't use it?
I love Maria Katrina Rey

LadyLu

Post by LadyLu »

I agree with removing the users tbat do not join for let`s say a year, would keep a more accurate database, but I do not agree the fact that people could post with no indetification. First because the lame topics would increase as they could be annonymous, second because if anyone says anything, i`d like to know who he/she is.. in return, he should be able to stand for what he/she said.
Be happy!
PAMELA_ aka Lu^
I`m not a tease, I`m just a reflection of what you cannot please..

TheAbyss

Post by TheAbyss »

Also what about topic pruning? I think it should be enabled in 1 year too =)
~ He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an Abyss, The Ábyss gazes also into you. ~

Stefanoo

Post by Stefanoo »

Well since my username and nickname are Stefano and i see no stefano active in here but an old idle one. i'll be glad if u guys delete da old one so i can use it. merci
Stefano @ Douaihy.org

Homer

Post by Homer »

I agree with removing username when inactive, but not everyone has the time to join and post. Removing the username won't be a good idea.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

sirAndrew

Post by sirAndrew »

Ok. This could be solved easily homer:

1:User prunning should be enabled and the time limit should be from 6 months to an year.

2:Before deleting an username the forum should send an email to the user with this message: Your username will be deleted in 10 days if you don`t post on the forum

Or something like that.

But, and here comes the tricky part...i don`t think simba would want to delete all the usernames of undernet officials that are not quite active on the forum: See moderators for example...

But that too will not be a problem as a certain tag could be implemented to prevent certain usernames from being deleted.. I`m not sure there is such a phpbb module but if there isn`t it should be suggested to the phpbb designers :)
sirAndrew @ Undernet.org

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

TheAbyss

Post by TheAbyss »

Yeap username pruning is a nice idea. There should be a phpbb modyle that does that. I'll try to find one

Regards,
TheAbyss
~ He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an Abyss, The Ábyss gazes also into you. ~

Stefanoo

Post by Stefanoo »

i face the same problem on my website. but the thing is when u delete a username the id on his old posts are deleted aswell. that will be a perfect thing to do if, delete inactive usernames, aswell inactive threads. so old ownsers posts dont get mixed wit the recent owner.
Stefano @ Douaihy.org

simba

Post by simba »

I actualy have a small problem with pruning inactive usernames.

When we installed the forum all Undernet officials had the chance to register their usernames first (Usenames 0 to 20 or so) and some of these never login, but I want the usernames to stay.

What I am looking for is an option like (No expire, or no purge? a setting I can check on usernames so they never get deletet)

Any idea's will be welcome.

TheAbyss

Post by TheAbyss »

Maybe if you add that users to a hidden usergroup and find a pruning addon that can allow you not to purge some usergroups...

Kaac

Post by Kaac »

I think it's a bit late.

I didn't check the number of users on this forum, but I think there are a few thousands. Then check the forum. How many people are posting? Imagine starting deleting all of them, it'd take weeks. This would've been a great idea if it was started on the beginning of the forum. At least, that's how I did on my forum, so it's not difficult to check the users once in a while, I delete every inactive user :)

Mitko

Post by Mitko »

Last edited by Mitko on Fri May 27, 2005 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dimitar Tnokovski aka Mitko

Kaac

Post by Kaac »

Heh... That's what I was saying, it's too late. Not sure if pruning works for users that were registered before it was enabled, so if not, even if enabled, won't help too much. I doubt another 10.000 users will register so fast, to make it have any effect.