//.msg x seen $nick and also... /mode $chan +c

You can post in here ideas and comments on how you think we could improve things on undernet.
K8oard

//.msg x seen $nick and also... /mode $chan +c

Post by K8oard »

Hello to everyone, hola a todos, salut tout le monde, salutare la fiecare... About how to improve Undernet ? I tell You what guyz... the Undernet coders, why don`t You create a bot or add the X *.tcl or gnu (whatever), to have the //.msg x seen <nickname> I know that X haves that option already, but about "username" only if You type: //.msg x access #Channel <username> but in this case we must know the username, what about if we will add an option for a regular nickname... like: //.msg x seen <nickname> and the reply will be something like: //.notice $nick I saw <nickname> on $date when he/she left $network with reason "..." <---- I pressume this is very handy... Anyway I`m waiting for ideeas and `ll count the votes... ((: The second ideea is to add the channel`s mode +c like: /mode #Channel +c <---- We all know what +c channel mode stands for if not I`ll let others know about it... +c channel mode = A channel mode that doesn`t allowed anyone to use color script, texts and notices... I know that most of You will say: Get a bot for that (I already have one) but I was thinking for others who don`t even know about the CTRL + R bug on most of the bots, which doesn`t even detect it as a color script, text... This is my 2 ideeas, I`ll come back soon with other 2... Bte, the +c channel modes, I saw it on another network, for others who doesn`t even know about it, it`s not my ideea, I`m always ushing credits... as about the X seen thingie, it`s 100% thought by me, but maybe somewhere in other network someone did it already... who knows, anyway I`ll stick to Undernet (:
Muzik,...It`s my life...!!!

OUTsider

Post by OUTsider »

Uhm, X already has seen for registered users, it tells you when a user has last logged in to the bot, also if they are not set invisible, you can use /msg X info <username> to find his current nickname.

Making X a seenbot would just be too much stress for it, and it has enough to handle already, it shouldn't also keep track of 100000 daily users who change nicks as well, thus generating like 800000+ entries in the databases. Got any idea how much resources that requires ?
Don't bother reading, I'm just the lame botlender, right ?

caesar
Location: Iasi @ .ro Real Location: Behind you! Sexual Orientation: Damn Straight!

Post by caesar »

I also don't see the point of the seen thing. This way someone can easily use it to get my uhost and start flooding me or see on what channels I sit even if it's +s or something. The +c channel mode sounds nice, it should be "created" cos it's neat.
Blame not on stupidity what is best explained by ignorance..

Talyn

Post by Talyn »

There's absolutely no point adding a SEEN to X when X could give a crap about nicks. It's database is big enough already, now it's supposed to keep track of nicks too? No...

The DALnet crowd needs to get a grip on the fact that users of Undernet (and other networks that do not register nicks) keep track of their friends, channel regulars, etc. by more responsible methods: userid@hosts and in the case of Undernet/Quakenet, username accounts. Nicks are fleeting, and available to anyone; it's pointless to try to remember nicks alone and always expect it to be the same person.

OUTsider

Post by OUTsider »

oh by the way, that does not mean we'd dislike +c, it's just that it would eat quite some resources on the server if it would have to check every privmsg/action etc.. guess thats why it won't be in .11, maybe it makes a chance in .12

Talyn

Post by Talyn »

We know +c (and more) is possible, after all Quakenet uses it and others, and they're ircu-based with more users than Undernet has...

caesar
Location: Iasi @ .ro Real Location: Behind you! Sexual Orientation: Damn Straight!

Post by caesar »

Well, it may take cpu or whatever but will make channels more *cleaner* and safe from spammers..
Blame not on stupidity what is best explained by ignorance..

K8oard

Post by K8oard »

OUTsider wrote:Making X a seenbot would just be too much stress for it, and it has enough to handle already, it shouldn't also keep track of 100000 daily users who change nicks as well, thus generating like 800000+ entries in the databases.

I believe that Undernet coders have enough space for X to host as many nicknames as possible to have the seen option available Outsider... anyway, the ideea seams to dislike to others, but I believe somehow, I still believe that Undernet will be the first network having such a bot like this, or an extra option added to the network`s officiall bot... Think about it, it`s all about resource and having a good motherboard running on maybe a *BSD or any other OS...

OUTsider

Post by OUTsider »

May I remind you about the fact that undernet runs on donated resources ?

K8oard

Post by K8oard »

Ohhh yeah I remember that Undernet runs that way... but somehow should be one way at least to do something about it ((: like more of them people to donate enough to make Undernet better network (: :lol:

play

Post by play »

How X will add someone in his !seen database if that user dont join in any registered channel ? :devious:

Kahr

Post by Kahr »

play wrote:How X will add someone in his !seen database if that user dont join in any registered channel ? :devious:

X wouldn't. :P

I like the +c mode, however. Could work very well. :D

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

mIRC users, do yourselves a favor and visit Tools menu, Options, IRC, Messages; there are a bunch of checkboxes you can use there to filter out specific control codes from incoming messages. Ahhhh, clean text :) No mo' messin' with your eyes!

kv9

Post by kv9 »

warez channels wouldnt be the same w/o tons of eye ripping sharp colors. nobody really wants that. really.

*** DISCLAIMER ***

i do not support/use/encourage in any way transfer of illegal material w/ the help of irc networks.

seriously.

OUTsider

Post by OUTsider »

Uhm, X is a network service, it is able to see people even before they join any channel, thus it also sees users joining in channels where it ain't present.

Oh, and !seen wouldn't work, X is deaf, they ripped out it's eyes to make it perform better.