channel name change

You can post in here ideas and comments on how you think we could improve things on undernet.
Keops

channel name change

Post by Keops »

hi all. i was thinking that it would be a good improovement to have a new form on cservice website for channel managers to allow them to change the name of their registered channel. what do you think of that?

Etherfast

Post by Etherfast »

Pointless, as X is not transferable.
We would need another team that would handle the registration changes, and many people will register channel #A as a chat channel, and then move X to channel #B, a channel they couldn't register in the first place because of the policy.

And the idea of transferring channel services from a channel to another doesn't seem so bright.
Etherfast

zapp

Post by zapp »

Keops wrote:hi all. i was thinking that it would be a good improovement to have a new form on cservice website for channel managers to allow them to change the name of their registered channel. what do you think of that?

This somehow depends on your meaning of the change ..

If it would be a change from #channel to #Channel , or a change from #channel to #chan

Anyhow, which ever the meaning would be , there are other far more important features which need to be considered before this one.
*** zappster ***
( zapp@undernet.org )
Channel Service Administrator

xplora

Post by xplora »

One small issue, the channel name IS the channel, this means both names are in fact 2 different channels. This is the reason CService doesn't allow channel name changing.

Quite simply, like a radio station, you can't just change the regulars will continue to go to the original channel. This also means that changing the name means having a channel that was never applied for, this I have to say would be an abuse of Undernets channel registration system.

The best way to achieve this is to give up the existing channel (purge or give to someone else) and then apply for the second channel.
xplora @ undernet.org
Past Co-ordinator
Undernet Channel Services Committee