Suggestion

You can post in here ideas and comments on how you think we could improve things on undernet.
Keops

Suggestion

Post by Keops »

Coders should implement a feature that would allow /list do display only registered channels. This way a user can avoid seeing those huge ammount of annoying warez, hacks, mp3 and droned channels.

OUTsider

Post by OUTsider »

Doing that would cost a tremendous amount of resources, since the code would need to check every channel for the presence of a service before adding it to a list. And having an ircu server loop through 100k of channels every time someone does a /list and checking through all the members in that channel to check if a service is present is just not healthy.

In order to make it using less resources, you would require a new channel flag like other ircds do (like +r on dalnet like servers)
Don't bother reading, I'm just the lame botlender, right ?

Keops

Post by Keops »

why check for X on all channels when X has all registered channel stored in its dbase? all the servers got to do is access that list and paste it into the users dialog box.

Mitko

Post by Mitko »

So, the ircu /list should check the cservice db ? Bleah, this is the worst suggestion I have ever read :lol:
Dimitar Tnokovski aka Mitko
[img]http://rap.com.mk/images/UL/mitko_userbar.gif[/img]

OUTsider

Post by OUTsider »

Keops wrote:why check for X on all channels when X has all registered channel stored in its dbase? all the servers got to do is access that list and paste it into the users dialog box.

First of all, for security reasons, ircu will NOT connect to the database.

Second, adding support to even do this would require all admins to install stuff they actually dont need and would consume even more resources then the previous option.

Third, some channels should not be listed (+s/+p/special chans, etc)
Don't bother reading, I'm just the lame botlender, right ?

Keops

Post by Keops »

X should write the channels list to a server file and refresh it periodically (ex. 30 mins). And if someone would want to /list only registered channels, the server will copy the list from that server file and should add the comment: Last time refreshed: day/month/year - hh:mm

I dont think this is a dumb idea at all. i think cservice admin staff should really consider adding this feature because it will atract more serious people on undernet instead of lamers and flooders. Usually when newcomers visit an IRC network they do /list to find out channels to chat in and after some minutes taken to load all those 30000 channels what do they get? mp3passion, freewares, zurna, hacker`s and other places like this. while if they are given only registered ones they get channels like: #bucuresti, #romania, #cservice and other places where chat can be a more civilized thing.

If they cant add this to /list i think it should be added to cservice site at least. A section named: registered channels list. should be quite interesting to browse through all registered channels :)

Stefanoo

Post by Stefanoo »

in fact i wonder who types /list
it takes me one hour to get the list of all the channels.
man undernet is huge forget it.
Stefano @ Douaihy.org

zmolensky

Post by zmolensky »

Hey :)
After reading all posts from this topic I have to say that this suggestion is useless: requires resources and the most important that regular users are not looking to join a registered channel. In the end is just IRC - Internet Relay CHAT - users looking for a nice channel to chat have some quality moments, joke, fun and hang around, they dont care if the channel is registered or not if that channel offers fun ...

Thank you for your time.
Kind regards,
zmolensky

Compy

Post by Compy »

The concept is a good idea, however as OUTSider said it would consume a tremendous amount of resources. In reality the IRCD and services should be as isolated from each other as possible. Not to mention having to transfer a list would really bend the IRCD protocol out of it's simplicity. Still it's not a bad idea, but it would cost more than it gives back.

Keops

Post by Keops »

then it should be added as a site addon at least. that'll be simpler and more efficient. btw.. that channel search engine doesn't seem to work so well. when i search for channels i get either channels that don't exist or no channels at all :-?

Mitko

Post by Mitko »

If you are talking about http://www.undernet.org/channelweb.php - it doesn't work. It was last updated about 1 year and a half ago :-) Anyway, that's website related and not related to the IRCu/GNUWorld. It was discussed here ( http://forum.undernet.org/viewtopic.php?t=1775 ) but seems like still not fixed.

/me waves to the webmasters 8)

Best Regards,
Mit :)

TheAbyss

Post by TheAbyss »

X has its own database to find a channel (if i'm not wrong) and comfusing server with channel service is wrong in my opinion. You can maintain a channel withought Channel services so if u r searching for a channel containing X in it just use X... if not use /list...
~ He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an Abyss, The Ábyss gazes also into you. ~

Mitko

Post by Mitko »

No, the X search was based on the channel keywords, but that search feature is disabled now.

Best Regards.

TheAbyss

Post by TheAbyss »

Oh thanks for correcting me :P I remember now... i didn't knew it was disabled though :)
~ He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an Abyss, The Ábyss gazes also into you. ~

Keops

Post by Keops »

you should at least get that web search page fixed, or remove it rather than allowing an out of order service :roll: