How can we stop takeovers?

You can post in here ideas and comments on how you think we could improve things on undernet.
Homer

Post by Homer »

If you touch the access level of mass ban (for ex. 400+), only 400+ users can set bans, lower access levels won't be able to set a ban.

And btw, There isn't any mass ban command, they are using the ban command as a mass ban command, since * is used to replace, many users are using * to replace it with the IP, that's why a mass ban happen.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Sysop_Kn1F3

Post by Sysop_Kn1F3 »

If you don't wnat someone take over your channel don't give them 75+ acces. Simple!

TheAbyss

Post by TheAbyss »

Yeap i agree with Sysop_Kn1F3. EVeryone must be very cearful who they give access (even 75) and also be very cearful who they add 400 because channel admins (400+) can add users which they can take over. For example if you add someone who you dont trust with 400 access and he adds someone who takeovers you, you can use the -modif command to see the admin who add the person and remuser him also. Its all about how cearful you are with the access.
~ He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an Abyss, The Ábyss gazes also into you. ~

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

When handling a channel you know what are the Do's and Dont's. In such way takeovers will be prevented. Every channel Admins must be careful in choosing users to be added in the access list.

Lemuel, no, actually my point was quite in a different direction, I was saying that if we take the safety labels out from every product, idiots will prolly die out because they need to be told

Yeah I agree wif yah...but isn't it safe if We Keep An Eye for the safety of our channel considering those Safety Measures?
Managerial faulty is really concern about this.
I love Maria Katrina Rey

GmbH

Post by GmbH »

New users on undernet.org have the right to know commands on X , the takeover commands is not for those who have learn more about undernet.org. New users who join undernet.org make usernames , get acc on channels and make takeovers , this for them is the funny part. They could make takeover on a channel when they r gettin` mad on a @ who has more acc then them or just to be a IRC God in there opinions. We can`t stop this madness but we can try to tell users the part where they can use there acc`s for chattin` and gettin` a better channel for all users
[url=http://www.wantedthegame.com/?u=70287][img]http://www.wantedthegame.com/images/forum-signature.jpg[/img][/url]

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

New users on undernet.org have the right to know commands on X

http://cservice.undernet.org/docs/xcmds.txt I think this one helps.

Thanks.
I love Maria Katrina Rey

skiler

Post by skiler »

It´s easy, TakeOvers just Can´t be stoped since there are tons of unexperienced Channel Admins (400+) who add abusive users on X (talking about Registered channels) and also there are tons of Channel Operators with a huge lack of responsability who Op users whitout verifying who they really are first (Talking about unregistered channels). (Remember that having a Registered channel is a privilege not a right and because of that we should be more carefull with our privileges :) )

Thats why TakeOver and Giveaway happends and that exactly why they just can´t be stoped but they can only be prevented by making sure to Add / Op Responsable Users on the channel.

The truth is, the solution to this eternal problems (Takeovers and giveaways) is up to the Channel Administrator who runs and mantain the channel...however, in case of abuse, IRCops can help of course, but why to ask for help if we can prevent the abuse by having responsable Channel Operators / Admins? :)

Of course this is just my personal and humble opinion on how can we improve our network :)

Think about it :)

Regards

GmbH

Post by GmbH »

We know that those who takeover a channel can`t be stoped. This is there way to explain those problems that they have. If you see mr skiler on most of the channels ( .ro channels ) like #bucuresti , #romania , #constanta they have use this takeover to explain to the users that they r the best on the job. The problems that Operators on those channels had r because they have register a username with a paid e-mail , and this paid e-mail was provide by Register.com This was 2 years ago. Register.com has been hacked and some of those Operators on those channels have there username with the register.com e-mail. In this days hackers can hack a e-mail , new programs r been running on internet like hacking @yahoo.com e-mails and other things. Soon we will see new takeovers on most of the channels.
[url=http://www.wantedthegame.com/?u=70287][img]http://www.wantedthegame.com/images/forum-signature.jpg[/img][/url]

GmbH

Post by GmbH »

lemuel i think that this things that you r sayin` aren`t for those users who use this takeover to explain their problem on this sistem. To give them the X commands mean that you give them a candy . We know that they want more , not just a candy :satisfied:

`Dj

Post by `Dj »

Welp, the thing is that most undernetters tend to have a 'big' channel full of lots of people so they can show of, or for them to be at peace with their conscience. And most of the times, besides all the friends and trusted ops, they add a few other people whom they don`t know very well, which could either do a takeover on channs, or add other ppl that do this..and then, manager joins #cservice and asks "someone continues to takeover my channel, and i don`t know where he still gets access from" best is to do a clean sweap of the acc list, and re-add ONLY the ppl you know and trust..but u`ll have to keep u`re pride on a leash, and forget about getting the chann bigger. Same thing is with UNregistered channels and giving @`s ..
Cheers

skiler

Post by skiler »

Exactly, that´s the point !!! :)

Regards
sKiLeR_FZ
Undernet User Committee Member

`Dj

Post by `Dj »

I wonder why some people want such a big channel...these channs are meant to be fun, to chat, to feel nice around friends..i can just register a chann, and only keep X in it *G*
Welp, we can have a nice chat with fewer people, even with one..i strongly doubt that in a channel, let`s say of 50 members, i strongly doubt ALL of them participate regularly in the channel discussion..and if i`m not wrong, very few of them are actually there to chat..most of them are just for another acc to their user info..that`s lame..ppl should start thinkin` a bit about this :)
Cheers

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

GmbH wrote:lemuel i think that this things that you r sayin` aren`t for those users who use this takeover to explain their problem on this sistem. To give them the X commands mean that you give them a candy . We know that they want more , not just a candy :satisfied:

I just quoted your post about X commands.. look here we are discussing about Channel Takeovers well the first thing to be put in your mind is "Can I handle a channel properly?" you have to consider things in making a channel it's not just a toy after you play you will put it somewhere.. pretty lame.. all I can say is that have a good Channel Administration it's on the ADMIN's part when we have faults about takes.
I love Maria Katrina Rey

TheTerror

Post by TheTerror »

Don't give access to someone who you don't know. Tell them to stay around, and as you gain trust in them, you give them access, and if they really deserve it, raise their access level.

Also, a good ideea would be to disable the ban on @*

FoXXy

Post by FoXXy »

That's a stupid idea to stop takeovers ...
You caaaaaan't :lol: :roll: