How can we stop takeovers?

You can post in here ideas and comments on how you think we could improve things on undernet.
adrenalin

Post by adrenalin »

Last week a was see a take on the #Romania channel :) That was just a mistake of a operator..
Was funny to see how ~1000 users just fly out with a funny reson.. ;) Huge of trafic&time was loosing in set of the x bans..

I still think what the current version&features of X bot is not perfect(unfortunalty some think it is perfect..?), it's a digital world, but for some reson i don't see any protection of the password (no ssl no md5 password auth), but the bot just don't know what mean take over(and why the moders close the topic's about issue about unbaning a take ban(he not give at least some reson) ? and what kind question can be about that new feature(what OUTsider suggest)? It's essential! )..

The X bot is really bad, a lot of unfixed bugs.. In first step must be fixed the issues about takeovers, and after add new features..
Or the xcoders is too lazy to do that and other try to explain to simple users what that is not necessary?
WAKE UP! Help your users!

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

Why didn't the channel manager set strictop and massdeoppro? Those are MINIMUM requirements for any responsible manager to protect his channel against lame "takeovers" (can't be a takeover since the X bot remains there). If you think you can do a better job, join the coder committee and work on improving X, write the algorithms to detect takeovers and all the things you want.

adrenalin

Post by adrenalin »

I talk about takeover through X bot(x ban # *!*@*) and i don't see how strictop||massdeoppro can help a owner&master of a channel to avoid these incidents(if that happen, at least unban the bad ban without removing other).
And i don't think what is soo hard to write code what will make that possbile.. I don't know why a coder just don't come here and tell us why they don't add that new feature ? It's kind i talk to my self Image

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

Then the problem is, again, that the wrong people were given access to the channel.

YounGun

Post by YounGun »

It seems to me, adrenalin, that you post just so you see yourself doing something. There is no point in repeating an already disscused ideea

InternetX wrote:My idea is: when an username will give a ban for host *!*@* on a level higher than 75, X to suspend that user in that channel for some days or remove that user from access list of that channel.

It also seems to me that you think that the coders just have to snap the fingers,or move their noses and a new X feature appears. :o Puterfixer gave you an excellent idea join de coders , since you obviously would do a better job then the one they are doing at present , you can do that by sending a mail at majordomo@undernet.org with "subscribe coder-com" in the body. I'm eager to see what new patches you will code.

Lemuel, no, actually my point was quite in a different direction, I was saying that if we take the safety labels out from every product, idiots will prolly die out because they need to be told " Do not plug in the microwave with wet hands" :o

InternetX

Post by InternetX »

But if an operator(trust people) have a depression and give ban on *!*@*? :lol: We must try my idea for some days (BETA) :)

gemeau50

Post by gemeau50 »

InternetX wrote:But if an operator(trust people) have a depression and give ban on *!*@*?

By the way, what is so bad in that ban (*!*@*)? Will the world collapse? Will people die? Will anybody lose their job? Not really, regular users will have to find something else to do for a while and this lamer should lose his access.

Now, if this situation happens often on your channel, it's time to ask yourself if the administration of that channel is able to manage a channel.

InternetX

Post by InternetX »

gemeau50 wrote:
InternetX wrote:But if an operator(trust people) have a depression and give ban on *!*@*?

By the way, what is so bad in that ban (*!*@*)? Will the world collapse? Will people die? Will anybody lose their job? Not really, regular users will have to find something else to do for a while and this lamer should lose his access.

Now, if this situation happens often on your channel, it's time to ask yourself if the administration of that channel is able to manage a channel.

but if that ban will be on a channel which have over 1000 peoples? :classic:

Dexter

Post by Dexter »

We can Stop takeover by teaching the 400-500 user how to give access and use it . I don't something like a traing Channel maybe !!! :o

Kaac

Post by Kaac »

Well, not really, Dexter. I agree with the first replies to this thread, take overs can be stopped ONLY if the manager knows how to act like a good manager, I mean be carefull to who he or she gives access. Also, sometimes it happens one of the Ops to get hacked or something, but generally, it is all manager's fault.

zeee

Post by zeee »

hmmm ,takeovers often happen to UNREGISTERED channels , well sometimes one person when he first "takes" a channel he will continue with this all his life . i think it will be better if the admins when they find out about these things ,should suspend that persons username so he will teach his lesson .
zeee.users.undernet.org

JaxxXSter

Post by JaxxXSter »

Don't be so stupid.. choose your members more wisely and you won't have that problem
Ryan Talley

mtb20

Post by mtb20 »

i don'T understand a thing... why is this command ( /msg x ban #chan *!*@*) still working? you can't use it for anything good, it'S just for those who like to play.

Homer

Post by Homer »

mtb20 wrote:i don'T understand a thing... why is this command ( /msg x ban #chan *!*@*) still working? you can't use it for anything good, it'S just for those who like to play.

If you remove the mass ban command then you have to remove the complete the ban command. If someone don't need to get his channel massbanned, then it's his job to do not add strange people.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

sirAndrew

Post by sirAndrew »

Yes it cannot be removed but it could be moved to a higher level i`m not sure if it`s possible to alow only the manager with to perform the /msg x ban #channel *!*@* but if it could be done it should be done.

Mass banning dirrectly on the channel will not kick all users. But mass banning thru X does that...so if it`s possible to move the command to a higher level...that will solve all the problems.
sirAndrew @ Undernet.org

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.