Hide channels on /whois or additional channelmode

You can post in here ideas and comments on how you think we could improve things on undernet.
Garp

Hide channels on /whois or additional channelmode

Post by Garp »

At the moment we have many channels (especially gay channels) where we use mode +s.

We use this mode to protect the users, who wanna join other channels, where they don't wanna be forced to have a coming out and we have noticed that spam robots often follow into the channels if they find something in the whois reply.

In that way +s is perfect.

But. If new users try - for example - /list they won't find us.

Is there any solution?

Suggestion 1: Create a usermode +s. Users can decide if their whois shows the channels.

Suggestion 2: Create an advanded channelmode +g (ghost; don't show this channel in the users whois reply)

Suggestion 3: Create an advanced channelmode +p (publicity; keep the channel secret but show it on /list)

I would prefer a usermode +s. Let the users decide if they wanna be seen on their channels or not.
Last edited by Garp on Fri May 14, 2004 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

Well, that's what mode +p (Private) is for. The channel name won't appear in your whois, but the channel appears in /list . This already exists, just use it.

Garp

Post by Garp »

mode +p as channelmode doesn't give the desired result.

Yes it doesn't show the channel in /whois

but

the channel is not shown in /list

rebel

Post by rebel »

Tried testing it, Garp?
Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

The similarity between +s and +p is that both hide the channel in whois. The difference between them is that +p allows channel listing while +s doesn't. The difference between +p and +s is also explained in [url=http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/misc/ccosmos.html#Heading767]this document on IRCHelp.org website[/url].
Last edited by puterfixer on Fri May 14, 2004 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Garp

Post by Garp »

Yes, the document tells exactly the same as you say.

But my tests give other results.

The channel #gaypakistani is set on chanmodes +npt.
The channel #gayperu is set on chanmodes +npt.

I open a 2nd server connection [/server -m eu.undernet.org] and there I do /list

#gayperu has 94 users at that time,
#gaypakistani had 23 users

FACT, puterfixer: It did NOT show ANY of the both channels.

Do you have any other method for verification that chanmode +p is working properly?

If you don't believe it - I can post the text file here as an attachment.

To verify that my mirc client is not corrupted, I used the new built-in irc client on opera. Result: The above mentioned channels are not shown in any list.

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

Funny how theory says one thing and practice another. I just tested this and you're right! From outside the channel, both +p and +s channels don't appear in listing. Is this a bug? You can test it quickly with the command /list #channelname , which will return only the information on that channel: name, number of people and topic.