Multiple ircu instances

Ask your questions about ircu and GNUWorld, share your ideas, and help the coders in their work.
Andre

Multiple ircu instances

Post by Andre »

Hi,

i would like to know if it is possible to have multiple instances of ircu on a single machine.
I've tried to set up a second server, but it didn't work. As the config check didn't give
any errors, i assume that there is some kind of protection against multiple instances.
So, is there a way to run two ircu daemons?

Thanks in advance,

Andre

toolz

Post by toolz »

Hello,

You can run multiple instances of ircu however there are some things you need to know before doing it.

You can not run two or more ircu instances on a machine with a single IP address listening all ircu processes on the same port, it will not work.
(Meaning, if your machine has only a single IP address you will not be able to run more than one ircu binding on port 6667, however *you will be able* to run more ircu processes using the same IP address but it must bind on different ports, ex 6668, 6669, etc.)

If you own a shell from some hosting company then yes, they might deny running more than one ircu process even if the system has more IPs or you configure them to bind on different ports on one IP.
(In this case try upgrading your shell so they can allow you to run more than one, or simply ask them about it)

In case of errors, or to check for errors please check the logs.

:wink:

Andre

Post by Andre »

Hi,

thanks for your fast answer.
I configured the daemon to run on a different port. I made some tests.
If i stop the main process i can start up the server. So this really seems
to be a problem with the program denying to be started twice.
I also tried starting the daemon in the foreground, but it doesn't
print anything onto the shell. It just stops right away.

Ohw, btw. The machine is a virtual root server, so i can basically do whatever i want to.

Andre

Andre

Post by Andre »

Ok, i solved the problem by just making a second installation in a different location.
Not pretty nice, but it works.

-- Andre

Mitko

Post by Mitko »

Instead you should have tried running it on a different username.
Dimitar Tnokovski aka Mitko
[img]http://rap.com.mk/images/UL/mitko_userbar.gif[/img]

Andre

Post by Andre »

Hi,

i guess thats where my Linux knowledge ends. Can i run the same executables with different user?
I mean i did a chown to give all the files to my irc user. Can a different user still run them?

-- Ligustah

toolz

Post by toolz »

Andre wrote:Hi,

i guess thats where my Linux knowledge ends. Can i run the same executables with different user?
I mean i did a chown to give all the files to my irc user. Can a different user still run them?

-- Ligustah

You should run the installation process on both users, meaning each shell should have its own setup.
You should NOT try to run the same ircd process you've installed as an user, from or as another user.

Simple, get two shells and follow the same installation procedure for both.

Andre

Post by Andre »

Hi,

toolz wrote:Simple, get two shells and follow the same installation procedure for both.

Ok thanks. I'll do that.

-- Andre