Registrer nick on Undernet?

Ask your questions about ircu and GNUWorld, share your ideas, and help the coders in their work.
PacMan

Post by PacMan »

I just wonder: Is there possible to registrer nicks on Undernet? If so, how?

SiRVulcaN

Post by SiRVulcaN »

No.

aMike

Post by aMike »

i said nothing... in here..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aMike on 2002-09-15 02:39 ]</font>

yourSirXy

Post by yourSirXy »

Undernet is NOT dalnet or like other such servers! i don't think that anyone will consider createing nickname registration
Best wishes,
your SirXy

aMike

Post by aMike »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aMike on 2002-09-15 02:38 ]</font>

Stonkeep

Post by Stonkeep »

i think amike has a point..
i know it wont be an nickserv or something like that on undernet but its really annoying that anyone can use your nick..
Nicks are our personality on IRC and very important but there is nothing we can do to protect them using from others..
the only way is having a bnc :wink:..

Kermit-

Post by Kermit- »

I'm not really a supporter of nickname registration.

You can just perfect put a ` or a ´ behind your old nick if it's taken.

Be a bit creative. I bet if I get online with the nick Kermit or Kermit- they still know who I am :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kermit- on 2002-09-14 04:18 ]</font>

aMike

Post by aMike »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aMike on 2002-09-15 02:38 ]</font>

craze

Post by craze »

Imagine that some kind of nick enforcement was to be implemented. Who's deciding who's who and which one were the first one with that nick?
Read error: EOF from signature

Kermit-

Post by Kermit- »

I think that it's good how it is now.
Most networks have indeed nickserv and it's maybe indeed something nice if you have it but on the otherhand ...... it's a typical thing on UnderNet and again it makes UnderNet a bit more unique.

cArLiLLoS

Post by cArLiLLoS »

I agree with Kermit-

:wink:

Carlos

aMike

Post by aMike »

keep it the way it is.. ignore all my sugestions, case closed..

notice

Post by notice »

heya ..
If u don`t register the nicknames .. its just great ... like now .. who got many shell`s & rooted servers .. has all the nick`s .. i think u should do something ..
Notice a.k.a NoKiD

crazyl0ve

Post by crazyl0ve »

Yeah,
these are the points that make Undernet unique and number1. For years the Channel Service X (and W at old times) the first come first served rule. These are spirit of Undernet and its better in this way.

Tomekeeper

Post by Tomekeeper »

The lack of nick services is an inferiority of Undernet. It has been washed over in the past seemingly out of an arbitrary "We want to be different" mentality. I'm not impressed. It is an excellent idea and is not difficult to implement but it is being ignored. True, Undernet is not Dalnet, but it is also true that if the DoS attack on Dalnet would lay off it would once again be the most populated IRC network. Perhaps learning by example is better than stone-age adherance to "We will not put nickserv here because... yeah". I realise this is abrasive, but apparently this has been a long-standing problem that nobody has addressed. One system is clearly superior to the other in fair playing conditions -- learn from it and assimilate!

As I've said before ... it isn't rocket science. I've seen it before and it is not a catastrophically difficult undertaking to put in a nickserv