Nickserv again...

Ask your questions about ircu and GNUWorld, share your ideas, and help the coders in their work.
nightfly
Posts: 12

Nickserv again...

Post by nightfly »

I know this subject has been aproached in the past and i'm sorry if this post seems useless to some people, anyway i came up with an ideea for a nickserv without any downsides, only things to gain from it.
With registration you lose choices, most of the good nicknames are already taken and you lose freedom.
This is a quote from Napoleon
I dissagree, what if you creeate a nickserv only for registered users and the only nickname they can hold is exactly the same as the user they registered so let's say my user is nightfly that means that i can only keep nightfly as a nick without somebody stealing it from me, of course if i want to change my nick nobody would stop me. If a user is allready taken that means that so is the nick, when the user expires so does the nick... and so on, nobody would have to reserve a nick or anything... it's quite simple. Napoleon said that you lose choice, that's totaly not true, you lose choice with users too, all the good users are allready taken if you haven't been on undernet for a very long time so it's the same thing, i don't understand what's the big deal of having a nickserv, many people would welcome the ideea & like i said all this hackers who steal nicks just so nobody else could have them or to prove they can would lose a "job"
let me give you a short example :
A is ~pokem0n@uniri.users.undernet.org * 4,1 P o k e m o n R u L L z
C is ~paul@flo18.users.undernet.org * 4,1P o k e m o n R u L L z
D is ~pokemon@PoKeMonRuLLz.users.undernet.org * 12 Pokemon Team
F is ~pokem0n@mihaiavram.users.undernet.org * 12 Pokemon TeaM
H is ~pokemon@DoZeR.users.undernet.org * 4 Pokemon Rullz :D
and so on
i really would like an answer from sombody who has the power of doing this, and the answer should sound something like this :
A - I like your ideea, we'll see what we can do
B - I like your ideea but it can't be applied because ........
C - I don't like your ideea and it will never be aplied because ......
i think C is the answer i'll get more likely but still, can't blame me for trying :P)
what i don't want is the common answer, "This is undernet, that's what makes us special, there won't be any nickserv here because we say so"
I honestly think it's a good ideea and many people would take advantage of it or else i wouldn't have bothered to post here knowing your "disgust" towards this ideea (still dunno why & i would like to find out... if it's possible)

User avatar
lemuel
Posts: 408
Location: Southeast Asia, Philippines

Post by lemuel »

read this one http://www.undernet.org/news/show_news.php?id=39

nightfly
Posts: 12

Post by nightfly »

I've read it, i allready know that, what i don't know is the reason for saying no to nickreg.

User avatar
craze
Posts: 8

Post by craze »

nightfly wrote:so let's say my user is nightfly that means that i can only keep nightfly as a nick
Many users didn't use their nicks for username registration even if it was available at the time. This kind of nickserv would force all these to change their nickname, or having themselves killed by someone else if they don't let go of their "way back" appearance.
Read error: EOF from signature

Eenie
Posts: 606
Location: Virginia, USA

Post by Eenie »

You all can open as many topics on Undernet having a nickserv as you want, but that will never change the fact that Undernet will NEVER register nicks!

All this discussion is simply pointless.

Eenie
:)

nightfly
Posts: 12

Post by nightfly »

craze wrote:Many users didn't use their nicks for username registration even if it was available at the time. This kind of nickserv would force all these to change their nickname, or having themselves killed by someone else if they don't let go of their "way back" appearance.
well i'm not saying that you have to use the same nick as your username, i am aware that many people use differnet nicknames and not allways the same nick as the username, i wasn't suggesting that you have to use the same nick, just that your nickname is reserved with the same name as the user, i mean come on.. what's the chance of somebody having let's say user xxx with nick zzz and somebodyelse who has zzz & wants to use nick xxx, furthermore it should have an option like /msg x protnick on/off wich would allow you to turn on or off protection for your nick.
Eenie wrote:You all can open as many topics on Undernet having a nickserv as you want, but that will never change the fact that Undernet will NEVER register nicks!

All this discussion is simply pointless.
Ok, i understand that very loud & clear but can you give me a valid reason WHY NOT ?
that's all i was asking in the first place, i'm very well aware that chances are extremly slim that such a service would appear in the near future on undernet but obviously i don't understand the reason why not... if somebody could make me understand why this rejection from the start (given my ideea in the previous post) i would be in debt.
regards

User avatar
Razvanet
Posts: 406
Location: Toronto,Canada

Post by Razvanet »

I know that Undernet will never have a nick registration service, and for me it's not a problem...but in my opinion Undernet dosen't implement a nicserv just so they can be different from the other networks...maybe even to stand out...i don't really know it's just what I think !

Regards,
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

nightfly
Posts: 12

Post by nightfly »

I have to agree with you Razvanet, i also think that undernet doesn't implement this feature just to be different from other IRC Networks, and that's not a very good thing in my oppinion... i read a post here where users voted for the nick lenght, why don't make the same thing for nickreg, you let the people who use undernet, normal users choose what they want, not what the admins want... just a tought.

puterfixer
Posts: 212

Post by puterfixer »

Undernet administrators made this decision a long time ago. One of the reasons for NOT using a nickname registration service was that a nickserv for such a large network needs a lot of resources, in terms of network connection, computer speed and so on. All servers which compose Undernet are donated by various Internet Service Providers or other companies, which also pay the many thousands of dollars each month only for the dedicated Internet connection of each server, just for everyone to be able to chat for free. Most Instant Messenger programs only work with one company which also displays banners and lacks the flexibility and simplicity of IRC, so you should appreciate the fact that IRC is still free for you. Now, if you were a company who donates a server and pay a bucketload of money for it without any other revenues from it, such as advertising, wouldn't you want that your investment is well used? Undernet decided that the top priority is to allow more people to connect from all parts of the world and chat on the network, so all resources are directed towards getting more servers. Taking the money for one or two servers, which means 4,000-10,000 people will not be able to connect to Undernet anymore, and investing them into a nickserv simply because some people cannot live without nickname ownership, is simply unreasonable. For those of you with an "it's MY nickname, give it back" identity crisis kind of problem, move to another IRC network. We want more people to be able to chat here, not to satisfy your self-centered issues. The community matters more than individuals.

nightfly
Posts: 12

Post by nightfly »

got me on that :)
i tought it's very easy to implement, free & the only reason why admins refuze to make it is to be different from other networks, i don't have an "identity crisis" like you said, just tought that a lot of people could benefit from this & a lot of people would like to be able to keep the nick they got used to, i like to belive that we are all here to improve the sistem, not to be selfish or cause troubless, it was a honest oppinion without knowing that implementing such a thing would cost any money & that there is such a downside like losing users/servers because of it, if that's the case (and only if that's the case) i think that giving up nickserv was/is/will allways be the best choice.

User avatar
Razvanet
Posts: 406
Location: Toronto,Canada

Post by Razvanet »

I shouldn't even post this because nickreg will not really benefit me, but i will say this:

First
puterfixer wrote: The community matters more than individuals.
You have to ask yourself would a community exist without "individuals" ?, because of what i know a community is formed of "people" or "individuals" whatever you want to call them. Then you say it matters ?? what do you mean the comuniy matters and the individuals don't ? i didn't get that...however there is a second and last remark
puterfixer wrote:.......large network needs a lot of resources, in terms of network connection, computer speed and so on. All servers which compose Undernet are donated by various Internet Service Providers or other companies, which also pay the many thousands of dollars each month only for the dedicated Internet connection of each server, just for everyone to be able to chat for free.....
This is the same old "blah blah blah" used by most IRCops and Admins for most and each complaint...just so they don't give too many explenations...please...i've heard this over and over for almost every kind of complaint not only nickreg...same old story every time...donated can't do what you want...no money...volunteer...and so on...

Kind Regards, :roll:
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

puterfixer
Posts: 212

Post by puterfixer »

Yes, community matters more than individuals. For example, the community creates laws and puts bad people in prison so they cannot harm the rest of the community. On Undernet, the priority for a larger community over the personal desire of some users for a nickname registration system means that their personal desire will be sacrificed for the good of the community. Is it that hard to understand?

Second of all, all that yadda yadda happens to be true, and if you're sick of reading it, stop visiting the forum. Anyways, for your continuous brainless posting, you are the first person to be added on my ignore list. Congratulations, I guess, and good luck to the others who still want to put up with you.

User avatar
evi|one
Posts: 211
Location: Netherlands

Post by evi|one »

Why not have a nickserv you ask? Why have it? A bunch of people fighting for one-letter nicks doesn't sound like a valid reason. If the story gets ugly we could simply jupe those nicks. Just look around. None of the top 4 IRC networks has nick registration. I bet there's a reason for that.
I am a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

User avatar
Mal`GaniS
Posts: 17
Location: Skopje Macedonia

Post by Mal`GaniS »

I support nightfly
nightfly wrote: With registration you lose choices, most of the good nicknames are already taken and you lose freedom.
Undernet have many problems about taken nicknames, because there are many fights, and many people have bots or BNC's and take nicknames...
I know many people from Irc, and if somebody take my nickname he can do some illegal operations, and somebody will think that person im !!!
I know that Undernet dont want to make copies from other servers, and want to be different... But i always supported NickServ, and i will always support NickServ !!!
Just Tell Me One Thing: Do You Ever Dance With The Devil On The FullMoonLight !!!

User avatar
Wolfyx
Posts: 323
Location: Nowhere

Post by Wolfyx »

Not that i would wanna burst u`re bubble Mal`Ganis...but let`s say that undernet allows nick registrations...le`me see...if there are these kind of problems with usernames..like "someone stole my username" or "i forgot my username" or "what can i do if someone stole my pass and i can`'t access the e-mail" ...do you honestly think that these problems wouldn't appear if nick regs would be available...belive me..it would be a much bigger fuss than with usernames..it would be a nice ideea to reg nicks...i had a lot of thiefs in all my IRC experience..but that's the way the ball bounces..And speaking about usernames...if there is a whole lot of multiple usernames abuse..belive me ...there would be a multiple nicknames abuse as well...it`s not that nice...if let`s say u don't like u`re nickname anymore...what next? do another one right? ehh..it`s that simple for you/us ..but it becomes a pain in the ***...for others...
Can u imagine that the abuse thingie would double if undernet would add nick regs..it`s a waste of time and resources in my opinion... :devious:

Regards,
I'm an angel, honest! The horns are just there to keep the halo straight