Spell check function for the forum

Here is where you can post your comments about the network, give ideas for changes and what live-events you would like to see.
sirAndrew

Spell check function for the forum

Post by sirAndrew »

I was thinking that the undernet webmasters can add a spell check to the forum. After all, not all of us are native spokers. A spell check function would prevent any miss spelling(including mine) and everyone would be sure that they are beeing understood by everyone. If all of us would write correctly than the forum would be a great method of learning english!
sirAndrew @ Undernet.org

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

viruz

Post by viruz »

Very good idea i think .
viruz - http://www.NewbiesIRC.tk

Kaac

Post by Kaac »

That is a good idea, but not a great one and might appear some "bugs". For example, some syntaxes cannot be translated exactly from other language and I really do not think the "spell checker" is so "smart" to translate the exact syntax, if you know what I mean. There might appear some misunderstandings.

sirAndrew

Post by sirAndrew »

The forum language is English, except the other languages sections of course...I ment a spelling function in english because you might not know englosh very well but you know your pwn language. And even though the spell function will have bugs in those thereads that won`t be a problem....The spelling in english will be more accurate...and we will understand each other better
sirAndrew @ Undernet.org

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

Can you find a freeware/GNU-license-type phpBB add-on, or write one?

sirAndrew

Post by sirAndrew »

Dunno what you mean speeds! Explain what is that and what does it have to do with the spell function. I don`t have knowledge in phpBB.
sirAndrew @ Undernet.org

zeee

Post by zeee »

an unusefull thing , that what i think , maybe i`m wrong , there are so many problems and u think on making others . huh?
zeee.users.undernet.org

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

To have a spell checker built into the forum, it must exist as a piece of software on the server. phpBB forum doesn't have a built-in spell checker, and so far I haven't heard of a forum software which does. So, to get such a function into this forum, one programmer (or more, probably) needs to write such a program to work with phpBB in the form of a "mod" (modification) or plug-in. It could be as simple as a "dictionary" checker, which makes sure all words exist in English, but a true spell checker is far more advanced than that - it needs to understand grammar, structure of the sentences, relationships between words, singular or plural form, tenses, subordinate clauses, to identify what words are incorrectly written and what would be the correct form, and so on. Now, if you can't find such an add-on for phpBB already written by someone, or if you cannot write one yourself, then this thread will remain as a "wouldn't it be nice if" idea. That's what I'm saying.

If you have Microsoft Word, you can enable its excellent built-in spell checker. Type your answer there, see what it suggests, make adequate corrections then copy&paste here.