IRC Shell channels with X (allow registration)

Here is where you can post your comments about the network, give ideas for changes and what live-events you would like to see.
ihategod

IRC Shell channels with X (allow registration)

Post by ihategod »

Hi everyone,

I know this topic isn`t new and I`m sure that has been for long time allready discussed, but now I feel like there is a diffrent times we`re living.
Since the Social Networks agressive overtaken the on-line life style, IRCd has been reduced constantly over the last years. I`m using Undernet for about 10 years now, it`s the place where i`ve gain alot of friends, meet interesting ppl and for the last 3 years developed my IRC Shell firm. I allways respected Undernet AUP or at least I tryed to impose that to my clients (I hope I succeded too).

How about letting Shell firms register theyr channel?
We provide support for our clients and even I know in the past those Shell channels have been also a spam and abuse point of start, I don`t think now this is a reason to block registration of this type of channels.
Time has changed, providing people with legit IRCd programs (psybnc, eggdrops for channel protection) is a fine business for those like me that are nostalgic about IRC.

I know it`s a long shoot, but I had to try and ask "What if?"

Sincerly, Cristian.
Admin #oshells @ Undernet

xplora

Post by xplora »

This was tried a few times, and they all backfired :(

Not to mention, it makes your own services look bad if you can't keep your own channel without needing something like X in it.
xplora @ undernet.org
Past Co-ordinator
Undernet Channel Services Committee

Dooku

Post by Dooku »

xplora wrote:This was tried a few times, and they all backfired :(

Not to mention, it makes your own services look bad if you can't keep your own channel without needing something like X in it.

Good point + now you have C that can help you if you suffer a takeover... :D
You must join me, and together we will destroy the Sith.

KiSsEr

Post by KiSsEr »

but having Services bot is better 1000 times then chanfix
iam i right?
[img]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs26/f/2008/114/5/a/Sick_by_AcidaliaAdrasteia.png[/img]

Spidel

Post by Spidel »

You are correct. If it's X, if there are any other services; then it's up to those who are using it.
"A wise man writes down what he thinks, a stupid man forgets what he thinks, a complete idiot punishes himself for what he thinks."