Increase nick length

Here is where you can post your comments about the network, give ideas for changes and what live-events you would like to see.
kid

Post by kid »

Do shocks on IRC really exist ?

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

Phisical SHOCK -NO
Emotional SHOCK- YES, absolutly YES
BUT not for Robots anyway, :wink:
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

caesar
Location: Iasi @ .ro Real Location: Behind you! Sexual Orientation: Damn Straight!

Post by caesar »

I, personaly don't see any good reason for the 12 or more characters for the nickname. I doubt this *feature* will be enabled and there is no reason to ask why, ZeBoxx explained perfectly why this should not be changed. Is Undernet's way to have 9 characters for the nickname when other networks have more than 9. I like the way it is right now. About the newbie *thing* .. they can ask or even think about what dose that SLP mean.. That Nick-Sleep example reason is a bit inadecvate.. That is not a good reason for this imprelemtation of the new *feature* you've asked till know.. There should be made things that help *all* users not a part of them (the newbies). Something against the spaming bots, the people that are infected due theyr lack of knowledge and a bit to much trust in someone on IRC and the list can continue if needed more examples.
Blame not on stupidity what is best explained by ignorance..

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

i still keep my opinion about increasing the nickname length... :-?
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

ender

Post by ender »

I find very long nicknames quite annoying.

If someone is outta town or is sleeping.. then they can do /away outta town ; or /away sleeping ( and eventualy put at the end of their nickname an "AW" or "awy" or "bbl" or "afk" etc. ). Sure, when i was new to irc I found those abreviations hard to understand but you can just ask the user what does "brb" or "bbl" or "aw" stands for. I mean, n00bs will encounter this problem sooner or later. Users will still use those abreviations while chatting.

Anyways, if you guys still insist on having long nicknames .. I`d say .. why not make them 50 chars long ? i might want to use at the end of my nick "-NotHere-WillBeBackLater-LeaveMessages etc." :P Imagine having very long nicks in your irc client nick list ( quite annoying ).

Be creative. This is what being creative is all about, being able to find a nice nickname that will represent you, within the server`s restrictions.

I`m happy with the current nick length.
There is also a poll about nick length on http://www.undernet.org ( to the bottom-right of the page :).

OUTsider

Post by OUTsider »

There is no NEED to increase nicklen on undernet. 9 chars's give more options then undernet is currently capable of holding users.
If you folks wouldn't launch so many jupers, drones, useless bots that are just there to fill up the channels stealing decent nicks then there would be even more space available.
Don't bother reading, I'm just the lame botlender, right ?

Boogie

Post by Boogie »

9 chars's is enough 4 us
"E.C.S.T.A.S.Y. Why? Cause I like to get high." (Rob Gee)

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

If i give it a second thought you guys might be right after all... :)

Novell

Post by Novell »

Please take a moment to read: http://rfc.sunsite.dk/rfc/rfc1459.html
See section 1.2.

Or to make it easy for you, quoted from the RFC:
Section 1.2:
"A client is anything connecting to a server that is not another
server. Each client is distinguished from other clients by a unique
nickname having a maximum length of nine (9) characters."

Therefor it should not be allowed to have nicknames longer then 9 characters.

DoCtoR-PC

Post by DoCtoR-PC »

i agree 9 caraters are more than enough if not imagine what its would be like !
irc is the thing! i love it and so should u help all and have fun~

Stepler4000

Post by Stepler4000 »

I think 12 characters will be much better!
:-)

Bay

Post by Bay »

30 characters is too much, 15 is too much, 12 is too much. What do you need it for anyway? It's called nickname, not fullname, you don't *have* to enter everything in there. I am personally not annoyed as my nick is only 3 characters long, but even so I never use -away, -brb, -food, -holiday or whatever. It's lame, use /away, that's what it's for. No one really cares where you are, and if they do, they can whois you and see your away or msg you and again, see your away.
When a nick is so long that you need to extend the channel nick list to see it fully, it is too long, it disrupts the pleasant display of mIRC.
And your nick being stolen is not a good agrument, I mean you can pretty much always use `,^,-,_,| or whatever at the end, and no one will even know the difference.
And it's also harder to remember someone's nick if they have a 15+ character nickname than a 9 character nickname. The problem is not typing it, if you are a decent typer 9 chars is the same as 15 and 30, but it's remembering it, and as usually the people that want/use really long nicknames are not the most subtle, their nick will probably be both long and sensless, filled with `_-^ despite the fact that they can fit pretty much anything in there.
9 characters is Undernet, no nickserv is Undernet.

El_Caifan

Post by El_Caifan »

I agree with you guys saying large nicks (15, 20,30 chars) are annoying and for lammers, but I think that a little upgrade (12 characters, for example) may make Undernet more flexible, get a bit modernized, and still can help to brake some fights for a nickname. Come on! give us this new year gift, undernet!

I'm chatting since 1997, and in spite i was in some other networks for many years, I got back to Undernet!

Greetings to all undernetters from Guadalajara, Mexico!

Please undernet people, think about it seriously! 12 characters aren't a major change, and it can make Undernet coolest than ever!

Kahr

Post by Kahr »

El_Caifan wrote:I agree with you guys saying large nicks (15, 20,30 chars) are annoying and for lammers, but I think that a little upgrade (12 characters, for example) may make Undernet more flexible, get a bit modernized, and still can help to brake some fights for a nickname. Come on! give us this new year gift, undernet!

There is not that much different from 12 to 15. :roll:

But upgrading to either 12 or 15 is something I believe would do Undernet good.
[url=http://www.xr-s.com][img]http://www.solaris.as/kahr/sigs/kahr_mix_5.jpg[/img][/url]

OUTsider

Post by OUTsider »

nah, be honest, it would do YOU good. Thats why you ask for it. Be happy with what you get is my opinion. undernet likes to stick to RFC's and thats the way it should stay. Thus, nicklen should stay 9. If you really want to use longer nicknames, plenty of other networks available....
Don't bother reading, I'm just the lame botlender, right ?