Increase nick length

Here is where you can post your comments about the network, give ideas for changes and what live-events you would like to see.
morfee

Post by morfee »

your nick on here is more than 9 characters UserAccess , guess you dont like 9 character limits on forums eh. or is it just an irc thing :lol:

Kahr

Post by Kahr »

I am still up for the fact that it would have been good with longer than nine charakters in a nick. There can't be too much change in the ircu, can there? :o
[url=http://www.xr-s.com][img]http://www.solaris.as/kahr/sigs/kahr_mix_5.jpg[/img][/url]

adfgvx

Post by adfgvx »

I am willing to bet this is literally just a #define somewhere in the IRCd, or somthing equally trivial to modify. An argument aginst increasing the nick length wouldn't be the effort that it would take to impliment the change.

Why dosn't undernet just put it to a vote?

TsunaQuake

Post by TsunaQuake »

I think 9 chars is a reasonable lenght
I hate it when you see someone with a nick such as Nick|AFK|GoingToMovies for example

I agree that sometimes, I wish we could go up to 10 chars, however 9 is still enough

But I wouldn't mind if UnderNET was to increase it to 10, definitly :)
I am not sending subliminal messages

xianne

Post by xianne »

long nicks are somewhat annoying. :dozingoff:
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~ballistik/hk.gif[/img]

Puck

Post by Puck »

The main advantage I see in longer nicks is the ability to put modifiers on the end of your standard nick.

Nick-SLP is difficult for n00bs to recognize as "Nick is sleeping".
Nick-Asleep isn't.

I see no disadvantage to 15 character nicks and a few advantages.

Also: The argument "If you don't like it, leave" is synonymous with "I don't want any improvements, ever". If you'd like to argue the this is not an improvement, then please do so. If you have a valid point about why 15 character nicks are worse then 9 character nicks, then please post them.
Joe Fulgham

ZeBoxx

Post by ZeBoxx »

Hello,

I am an operator/fellow at another, private, IRC 'network' of 1 server.

When we started out with HybServ, we ran with a default 9 characters. We decided to increase that to 15 in our first installment.

Then came alone one of our users who wished to use the nickname "DigitalFreebaser". As you may well imagine he ended up being "DigitalFreebase".
So in our next installment, since we could easily change it anyway, we changed the value to 16.
Problem is that somebody then wanted to use e.g. "ZeBoxx_outta_town"
17 characters.

As you may figure, we're keeping it at 16 - but in all honesty, we would've been fine with 9 characters.

Mind you that it's also easy to say "it's probably just a little setting" (and it is), but that for this setting to take effect properly, all the servers will have to be updated. Servers still using the 9-character limit won't be able to (properly) deal with 15-character nicknames.

Just my 2cts, I only just got here for a completely different reason :)

Kahr

Post by Kahr »

I think a large IRC Network like Undernet could do it good if they increased their nick length to 15 or so. :wink:
[url=http://www.xr-s.com][img]http://www.solaris.as/kahr/sigs/kahr_mix_5.jpg[/img][/url]

Elite

Post by Elite »

Agreed. 8)

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

I think that the nickname should be at least 12 characters...also this will prevent some nick fight and also more people can join ...Undernet definetly needs to make that number bigger at least by 3...Make it 12 :wink: instead of 9 !
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

Are there any news about this ? Is the nickname length going to be increased soon ?
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

kid

Post by kid »

Of course not.

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

kid, you like always Negative about everything and everyone :roll: ....so some one else...please put your answer !

kid

Post by kid »

Always did love compliments :)

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

You mean complains not compliments ! :D

Keep up , be NEGATIVE like usually, not a shock any more! :lol: