why not nick registration?

here you can make posts that do not belong in other forums
Nanncy

why not nick registration?

Post by Nanncy »

Very curious as to te adamant opposition to nick registration on UNdernet. Any have a comment good or bad regarding registration?
It does have merit and seems to work reasonably well on other networks.
My opinion? It is archaic not to allow it. :lol:

dark

Post by dark »

That's the first thing that makes Undernet different from all the other nets... NICK registrations :D
I don't think this will change....
Greetz,

Name: Davy S.
Nickname: []DARK[]
Username: DARKm
E-mail: dark@undernet.org
Position: CService Official Administrator
Organisation: Undernet Channel Service Committee

Nanncy

Post by Nanncy »

Just because it has "always been that way" does not mean it serves the present need. I have serious problem with people that go through life with the "that's the way it's always been" head in the sand attitude. I agree, Undernet will never change it's policies because of the old school adminstration. As far as that making Undernet a better place, I feel it is questionable. I suppose you may have never encountered the frustartion of someone using the nick you have used for 10 years and is soliciting for prostitution or sending malicious codes, virus or spamming under that nick It happens regularly to me. I dont do that sort of thing and I would suspect the user(s) stealing this nick and no doubt others wouldnt do it under their own nick either especially if it could be traced for some sort of accountability.
That is my point "accountability".
Simple registration would at least give a small measure of security that the person using a nick would be the actual person to whom it belongs, as opposed to some one out on a joy ride at someone else's expense.
:lol:

dark

Post by dark »

Well, I know cmaster has it own nickregistration... but this will only register your username as nick.. So in my case, my nick is []DARK[], my username is DARKm, so my username DARKm will be registrated as "my" nick. So it'll be a huge problem i think for those who use a different username as their nick... dunno if it's standard like this, but i've seen the nickregistration working on other networks, and that's the way it goes, so it'll be useless for half undernet :)

This is my opinion :)
Greetz,

Nanncy

Post by Nanncy »

oinion noted thanks for the reply I believe Undernet has the capability to recognize and register nicks with special characters so, in my opinion and limited knowledge, the nick should appear just as it is written by the user.
it will recognize and register channels with special characters.

dark

Post by dark »

yes.. i know there's a possibility that you can register "^][`´..." characters, BUT, i thought you must bring it manual into the database, because, an adminreg doesn't allow these kind of characters eather.. tried that already (again on another network).. :D

:classic:
Greetz,

Nanncy

Post by Nanncy »

perhaps someone with actual knowledge of undernet admin infra struture can join and help with this question.
I really see no point in some one with an opinion it should or should not be changed responding to this important question.
Good observation
Response to the should should /not is welcomed but not in response to this point thanks

cArLiLLoS

Post by cArLiLLoS »

1.- We barely have the resources (technical and human) to handle the current username/channel registration system to now handle a nickname registration on a network where more than 2 millions people connect per week. Think about it. Imho, it ain't worth.

2.- From a legal point of view, we may have liability concerns of people claiming "I had this nick first" which may run amuck and will really create irritating situations among the network staff and the users.

The Undernet simply doesn't support any form of nickname registration and it doesn't intend to do it in the future. Nicks are available to any user in a first come, first get basis.

If your favorite nick is in use, you can add a character to it such as nick^, nick-, nick_ , [nick] etc...but please don't get carried away and make it difficult to type...some channel operators may get upset with you if you do! (It does not make for a happy IRC experience if you upset the ops, be they channel ops or IRC ops).

And last, but not least, your username will act as a unique identifier to you within the whole network no matter what nickname you be using.

Eenie

Post by Eenie »

...As far as that making Undernet a better place, I feel it is questionable. I suppose you may have never encountered the frustartion of someone using the nick you have used for 10 years and is soliciting for prostitution or sending malicious codes, virus or spamming under that nick It happens regularly to me. I dont do that sort of thing and I would suspect the user(s) stealing this nick and no doubt others wouldnt do it under their own nick either especially if it could be traced for some sort of accountability.
That is my point "accountability".

Nanncy:
People on undernet have always identified others by their hostmask (before username registration was implemented), not by their nick. It is even easier now to know who you are talking to with the ability to log in to a registered username. Always /whois people to be sure who you are talking to, it is not that difficult.

As for accountability, no one here is invisible to the powers that be, whether they are logged in to X or not!

Eenie
:)

Nanncy

Post by Nanncy »

these arguments have been used as long as there has been a question and are stale as the archaic policies of undernet. If you have nothing useful to add, silence would serve every one's purpose better.

Eenie

Post by Eenie »

The argument that you suggest is "stale and archaic," is precicely the reason we do not need to use our resources to register nicks as well as usernames on undernet. Because our system works. (As I posted earlier, identity should never be a problem on undernet if one /whoises the person they are concerned with, and accountability is not an issue either, since no one on undernet is anonymous.)

This is a forum for undernet that is open to everyone's opinion. Many people read it and learn from it, and no one should try to censor what people say to the points raised here. There are alot of people reading these posts who can learn from reading everyone's opinion. That is what a forum is for.

Eenie
:)

Talyn

Post by Talyn »

It's only IRC, and it's only a nickname. Even if you were to register it, you still don't "own" it.

Undernet's policy is one of freedom of choice. Anyone is free to use any available nickname. We get to know each other by user addresses, not by nickname. I normally go by Talyn, but sometimes I'm just not in a Talyn mood, so I use other nicks.

By allowing us to register username accounts, Undernet further allows the freedom of choice philosophy, and simultaneously granting a means of utilizing the channel service bot, X. We can change our nicks all we want, but we keep the same username account so X still knows who we are.

All responsible IRC users check users addresses, not just nicknames. As far as I'm concerned, nick registration is just for lazy, clueless users who are probably better off with AOL chat than IRC, but that's just my harsh opinion, and I'm entitled to it.