04/18/2005 .. Massive gline ?!

here you can make posts that do not belong in other forums
TheAbyss

Post by TheAbyss »

I think that the command was correct, the problem was that the command has triggered a bug on the ircu so undernet went down. I would like to thank all users that worked on restoring undernet :) You did a great job all!
~ He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an Abyss, The Ábyss gazes also into you. ~

Mitko

Post by Mitko »

Last edited by Mitko on Fri May 27, 2005 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dimitar Tnokovski aka Mitko

Chiklis

Post by Chiklis »

I don't think that was an error, seems the host *tm.net.my was K-lined, and don't know how come, I was K-lined too.

Jay`Z

Post by Jay`Z »

Mitko wrote:* Quits: JR`Riquelme (digital@G-lined.com) (K-lined)

haha that one was cool, Image
"All people have the right to stupidity but only some of them abuse the privilege"

sirAndrew

Post by sirAndrew »

The gline yesterday was due to an oper glineing *@.1.1.1 so that matched *@. which somehow matched *@* so instead of copying 1.1.1.1 he copied .1.1.1 and whole undernet glined.

As for today the massive k-line took place on london2.uk.eu.undernet.org. Dunno wht caused it yet.
sirAndrew @ Undernet.org

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

I think it seems pretty clear that nobody should be using GNUWorld to set any kind of K/G line until the deamon has been tested and debugged, nore should this version have been deployed until it was fully tested.

These kinds of 'bugs' shouldn't be played down as 'oops, oh well' kind of attitude, we can lose users with this ongoing nightmare.. and there is a lot of speculation and a total lack of fact as to what the real problem is, I hate to troll, but this problem needs to be addressed big time.

Jay`Z

Post by Jay`Z »

sirAndrew wrote:As for today the massive k-line took place on london2.uk.eu.undernet.org. Dunno wht caused it yet.

Might have something ot do with the new ircu they are using

Your host is London2.UK.EU.Undernet.Org, running version u2.10.12.alpha.08
"All people have the right to stupidity but only some of them abuse the privilege"

Mitko

Post by Mitko »

Last edited by Mitko on Fri May 27, 2005 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Mitko wrote:That ircu on london2.uk supports channel mode +D . But.. testing the ircu on 120k network is not a good idea.

I second that totally.. throwing untested software on a mainstream server is about as smart as... well, thats about as dumb as it gets, things like this is begging for attack attempts, and its just going to mean more downtime in the long run.. I also noticed Oslo2 got hit by the mass k:lines too.

Jay`Z

Post by Jay`Z »

yeah...

Anyway for those who are wondering what that +D mode is...

Channel mode +D : Delayed join mode. Joining users will not be shown until they are opped/voiced, change the topic or speak. Note that hidden users will not be revealed when the mode is cleared. Hidden users can be seen with /NAMES -d #channel

ZeroSlashe®

Post by ZeroSlashe® »

Just one question about that... if u've set +D then, u can't even see floodbots joining? Tricky :-?

Jay`Z

Post by Jay`Z »

Well yeah...not untill they say something anyway :)
But at least they can't flood with join/part anymore, and that's good 8)

ZeroSlashe®

Post by ZeroSlashe® »

ah yeah, that will save a whole lot annoyance in the screen :)

Aidan

Post by Aidan »

I don't know if this new channel mode will help much, it might just encourage ctcp/persistant flooding... What I would like to see is better syncronisation code, I've all too many times seen avalanche flooders continue their flood after the channel is locked, and even seen floods override the channel limit.

Mitko

Post by Mitko »