Why some helpers don't accept private messages?

here you can make posts that do not belong in other forums
OzzY

Post by OzzY »

mavericku if someone is not in a help channel that means he or she doesn't want to help you.
Also if you're not in the same channel with him/her, why don't you use /join #channelname command?

mavericku please read puterfixer's post again...
Ozan Güven aka OzzY

Who is a lamer? -> [url=http://www.lamerism.com/]http://www.lamerism.com/[/url]

mavericku

Post by mavericku »

well maybe i'm to layzy to /join ...
Most IRCops .. don't answer ... even when that person is on his channel.

I saw IRCops on HELP channels , and when i asked for help on pvt they ignored me.. that's not right
Huston we got a problem.. Apollo 13 is going down....

YounGun

Post by YounGun »

Dear Mavericku, let me kindly remind u that helpers/ircops are VOLUNTEERS. They * don't * have to help you. They decide to do so , taking so me time away from their chat time, and puting it into helping users like u... (imagine that :-? )

Blocking private messages, is , firstly a simpler way of helping : all questions are directed in the channel, increasing ur chanches of getting some help, and the helper can be corected if he makes a mistake. Sooo , there's nothing that would make me turn off that pvt msgs ignore , for ppl i don't know. And besides, there are many ppl that flood or/and spam , there's no use in batteling with those abusers.
[img]http://wiki.castlecops.com/images/f/f6/MVPLogo1w.gif[/img]

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

It's not their JOB to help or answer any questions. They're on IRC to have fun as regular users, not to be bothered with "op me in my channel" or "can I be an irc cop" kind of questions. For administrative functions, they don't even need to be on IRC, there are other ways to monitor the servers. So, don't abuse their little time donated to users and activity on IRC because they don't have to do it AT ALL. Appreciate even that little time dedicated to you, because it only means less spare time for their own lives.

mavericku

Post by mavericku »

Well i understand what you are saying ..
I understand that they are peoples like you and me ..
But if they have that administrative function .. they could try to help some of us .
Huston we got a problem.. Apollo 13 is going down....

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

mavericku wrote:Well i understand what you are saying ..
I understand that they are peoples like you and me ..
But if they have that administrative function .. they could try to help some of us .

good you understand it..... they will help if they want just dont bother them so that you wont be ignored.

YounGun

Post by YounGun »

It seems to me that u don't understand. :o You ought to think a bit before posting. :-?

Homer

Post by Homer »

I also ignore messages, when such users see you operator in a channel they start bothering you every second and maybe i don`t want to reply back and it isn`t the first time i got messages like this "hey you motherfucker help me" or they just offending you because you reply back and you tell them to ask in the channel.

Why should we get bothered with such lame ways ?

Who is nice with me i`m nice with him who isn`t i`m isn`t and not everyone like to get bothered.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

i agree with you Chris :classic:
Last edited by lemuel on Wed May 05, 2004 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snatcher

Post by Snatcher »

Don't ignorantly claim that opers should "help out a bit more" as that's an observation which can't be reasoned. Whilst I won't discuss what goes on behind the scenes of Undernet, I can tell you that there's much more to it than replying happily in private messages to people who are, normally, providing such vague information that we need to ask a lot of questions to actually get somewhere. This takes time, and it's not a top-priority amongst many opers.

As for the "what" reply.. you caught me in a bad moment. I'm not going to excuse my reply as my duty doesn't demand me to smile or act joyfully when someone I don't know message me.
:: Snatcher

Eenie

Post by Eenie »

If you are interested in getting help from an IRC op, please read this article in the current Undernet Newsletter:

http://www.user-com.undernet.org/newsletter/viewart.php?artid=fa6a572aad68de61

It is informative and very well-written.

Eenie
:)

sirAndrew

Post by sirAndrew »

Why should we answer private queryes? the help channels have the purpose of helping ppl, queryes are for private chat your friends not everybody who has nothing to do but flood you with their problems....i know we are supposed to help thouse who are in need of help but it`s not so funny to answer to 100 dif users in private!
sirAndrew @ Undernet.org

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

Cautious

Post by Cautious »

Well, as i am myself a helper, i do get those hi and help in private... My script chooses the desperates! LOL!
Cautious or Cauti0us
#Backwardz Backwarder!!
Find Me at #Backwardz !

wensu

Post by wensu »

umm, there is no such thing as a helper, everyone is a volunteer, who in varying situations have varying priviledges.

everyone of these volunteers are hounded day in and day out, by "help" requests which can be overwhelming at times, hence the scripts they have.

volunteers are chatters as well, and at times, they wish to mingle with their irc friends, and not with people who try to befriend them 90% of the time.

- wensu

YounGun

Post by YounGun »

Continuing wensu's ideea, on Undernet, the privilege of "helper" does not exist. This comes from the old Ptlink-like ircds, in wich helpers were privileged clients, given an o:line on their host, that enabled them to do /kill /kline (depending on their o:line flags). They were known as "ircops-in-training", so this was something like the pre-status to a global operator position. You could tell a person was helper by their special line in the whois.

** is available for help

So think a little more before calling yourself a helper.