Does Irc influence our lives?

here you can make posts that do not belong in other forums
lemuel

Post by lemuel »

mavericku wrote:.... hmm mIRC .. who invented it ????
anyway .. it's a cool place to meet friends and to hang out.

Maybe .. we will forget it . someday

While the IRC program itself was invented by Jarkko Oikarinen in 1988, there has been an interesting history to the development of distributed chat communications that goes back to the early 1970's. :classic:

Loner

Post by Loner »

Mirc has a big influence upon our lifes ... this words are coming from a mircoholic like me.
i've met some of my best friends on irc and after more then 5 years i still hang out with them.. so u tell me.
just loner

YounGun

Post by YounGun »

No , i don't think that irc influences our lifes. Maybe u should turn off ur computer more often... I think irc is just another way to communicate and interact with other persons, i don't see that influencing my life... but then again , that is just me. :o

Loner

Post by Loner »

so perhaps if you've made friends on irc ...this doesn't have any influence upon your life neh?
:devil: i see what u mean.
just loner

sirAndrew

Post by sirAndrew »

i`d like to meet the creator of irc....where is he in jail? :P
sirAndrew @ Undernet.org

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

Irku

Post by Irku »

for some of us, IRC is life and life is IRC. And who could blame them ?

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

Irku wrote:for some of us, IRC is life and life is IRC. And who could blame them ?

dont know maybe IRC creator could be? :classic:

YounGun

Post by YounGun »

Melksedek

Post by Melksedek »

I have seen along the years bad things related to IRC vs real life. I remember in 97 an episode involving a current oper and some other person (I wont say who) when, due to abuse in a channel I was in, the other guys went to the "person"'s house and cut off his IT cable (actually the intention was to beat up the poor fellow who had takn over the chan-with the help of his oper friend):)

That incident was isolated, but in our times, they increase in number and violence(cf. flood channels, bots etc). I have begun a sort of a study of the "history" of this change due to IRC. What I can say is that IRC is affecting the power to discerne right from wrong at a certain moment, and makes you free yourself from norms(of course nobody can see you, therefore you do want you dream of-becoming admin, oper, etc.)Well, this comes from a very evil scheme of fueling people's egotistical drives, boasting, etc, that is currently in progress in all social layers.
The solution is simple: do not allow kids to IRC before (18 yrs I would say), as at this age, they are mostly influenceable.( I used to be a professor before engaging in metallurgy, so I know very well what I am talking about).

Some of you may not agree with me, but I stick to this opinion nevertheless.

Melksedek

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

sirAndrew wrote:And if my dog is a mirc addict what shall i do?

Name your dog DOTCom

Rebellion

Post by Rebellion »

yes it does influence our lives, its as simple as that
and very well written jasee :)
~~Heaven Doesnt Want Me and Hell Is Afraid I'll Take over

LadyLu

Post by LadyLu »

Mirc is a place with diffrent kind of people, i think i`d not abuse any conception saying that you could meet more lamers here than in real, but good people exist here too. I personally left myself influenced from the good and older ones and learned from them lessons of life, this is a thing i would have done it in real also.
The way i realised i am influenced by mirc is that i was getting annoyed of ppl`s gossiping, which is more intense than in real, as here our purpose is to "chat", and by chat i don`t mean just an asl.
I`ve selected my friends and i keep just the ones i am feeling like having fun with.. ignoring the rest that might affect me in a wrong way.
Be happy!
PAMELA__ aka Lu^
I`m not a tease, I`m just a reflection of what you cannot please..

Virtual4Ever

Post by Virtual4Ever »

This is a "topic" I have been debating in my mind and with my friends for a long time now and I have really came to the conclusion that IRC is kind of addictive, many people who join once choose to join the second time and so on until they stay on IRC daily alot but for me not just IRC is addictive but the whole NET itself, but you do have to know when to draw a line, and the time you do spend online on websites and IRC also should at least be productive or i don`t know, not a waste of time, like if you have experience why not helping on IRC, or maybe creating a comunity or i don`t know, anything that is usefull at something, not just wasting time watching the Joins/Parts/Quits:) !
Virtual!Virtual@Virtual.users.undernet.org

Ashley`

Post by Ashley` »

I'll never stop using IRC, well I guess so. I had met my bf here, so IRC is my life ;)
Bring The Noise

Mitko

Post by Mitko »

Last edited by Mitko on Fri May 27, 2005 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dimitar Tnokovski aka Mitko