G-line

Ask your general or IRC related questions.
BlackSheeP

G-line

Post by BlackSheeP »

Can someone please explain me how the hell i got a g-line with the reason '' infected with a virus or trojan please visit..'' bla bla. It happend in the day when i bought a brand new laptop with a mobile broadband, i just used it for IRC and the only download was mirc from mirc.com. The good part is that the broadband changes ip after deconection and i got back online in a few minutes. The bad part was that someone 'got' the nick i used to use. My anti-virus didn't find anything wrong with the pc same the scanner from the moosoft.

See

Post by See »

When you get such an g-line reason there is only one explanation: your pc or your irc script contains a virus. From what you said that your antivirus failed to find any virus, not all softwares can find such things. So, in this case is good that you can change your ip but in this kind of situations is good to e-mail abuse@undernet.org explaining the problem regarding only k-line or g-line situations. Regarding the nickname, they are free on undernet so first to get it is the winner!

Enjoy
CService volunteer
Usernames operator
#Class Tutor

I`m Clubbin!

Panzer

Post by Panzer »

I had the same problem yesterday using my mobile 3G internet connection provided by Orange Romania. I scanned my PC with 6 spywares/malware removal tools (not to mention the one at moosoft doesen't work) and also ran a scan on #vh
As nothing was detected it may very well be an Undernet proxy scan that fails because I really protect my laptop at the highest security levels. Today, I used the same server and guess what : it worked, no trojans this time ...
[img]http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/image.php?u=1781&dateline=1156160291[/img]

xplora

Post by xplora »

BTW, cell phone providers are known for sharing IPs across multiple users, it's possible someone else is infected with the virus that was detected.

Adding to this, if a modem disconnect/reconnect gets you a new IP and a connection not g-lined, the above still applies, as obviously before you were using the g-lined IP, again "it's possible someone else is infected with the virus that was detected" that was previously using that IP.
Last edited by xplora on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xplora @ undernet.org
Past Co-ordinator
Undernet Channel Services Committee

BlackSheeP

Post by BlackSheeP »

thanks guys :) my problem seems to be solved but i still don't get it.. how come, let's say: i got a virus from mirc.com and i got a g-line, when i got back i find the nick i used (i know they are free to use) with the away '' we got it'' how that sounds to you ?

See

Post by See »

BlackSheeP wrote:.. how come, let's say: i got a virus from mirc.com and i got a g-line, when i got back i find the nick i used (i know they are free to use) with the away '' we got it'' how that sounds to you ?
Sounds like nothing :) don`t know, someone is trying to "hurt" you - stealing "your" nickname - doesn`t need to sound like something, all you can do is use another nickname and if that particular one gets free, you can use it :) Anyway, panzer`s reply is a solution. Good luck :)
CService volunteer
Usernames operator
#Class Tutor

I`m Clubbin!

MrEen

Post by MrEen »

See wrote: Anyway, panzer`s reply is a solution. Good luck :)
Personally, I think xplora hit the nail on the head here. It seems a bit odd that the next 2 posts carried on as though xplora's post didn't exist, although I understand the conspiracy thoughts of the OP, but doubt that was the reason for the problem.

MrEen
The bigger fish.

See

Post by See »

I really don`t understand your reply, no relation what so ever with the topic - thats how i saw it, i personally didn`t know such information regarding 3G internet connection not to say regarding xplora`s post - But if you can`t make a relation between posts, too bad - xplora`s reply is related to panzer`s reply so thats the solution.
CService volunteer
Usernames operator
#Class Tutor

I`m Clubbin!

MrEen

Post by MrEen »

See wrote:I really don`t understand your reply, no relation what so ever with the topic - thats how i saw it, i personally didn`t know such information regarding 3G internet connection not to say regarding xplora`s post - But if you can`t make a relation between posts, too bad - xplora`s reply is related to panzer`s reply so thats the solution.
Ok, I think I have figured out where the miscommunication has occurred.
panzer wrote:Today, I used the same server and guess what : it worked, no trojans this time ...
I assume you took this literally to mean the computer was successfully cleaned. I took this to mean no trojans were (falsely) DETECTED this time as was mentioned in panzer's previous sentence.

I still think xplora's answer (meaning, the original poster didn't have to have a virus, but came in on an IP that someone had used previously who was infected) was most likely the correct answer in this situation.

Hope that helps clear things up.
MrEen
The bigger fish.

BlackSheeP

Post by BlackSheeP »

my mobile internet provider said its possible someone from the same network can get the same IP. Its all ok now, thanks :)