[Help] How Do I Hide My Idle Time And Server Address.

Ask your general or IRC related questions.
New--Bee

[Help] How Do I Hide My Idle Time And Server Address.

Post by New--Bee »

I use MIRC 6.0.3

I see everyone has

Idle Time = None

Server = *.undernet.org The Undernet Underworld

On the Userinfo.

How do i do it?

Please Help! :D

New--Bee

Post by New--Bee »

TY :oops: :oops: :oops: :D

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

One question! :) Is there anything to do about idle...something like ANTI-idel, so if you are away for a long time you don't get a ping time out error because of the idle !?
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

When you chat, the server knows you are still connected because it is receiving messages from you. When you stop chatting and idle, then the server periodically checks if your connection is still working by sending you a PING every 60-90 seconds, to which your IRC client will respond automatically (you can hide the Ping? Pong! message from being displayed in the Status window in mIRC, but it will still work). So, even if you haven't said anything in channels or private for hours, the server still knows you are there and doesn't disconnect you; it just counts your idle time since the last time you said something. Note that sending a server command such as /whois or /names won't reset your idle time; only commands which involve a PRIVMSG command to the server will reset it: talking normally in channel, /msg or /query, actions (/me), CTCPs (Version, Time, Finger), DCCs (DCC Chat, DCC Send), notices (/notice).

Undernet servers are not set to disconnect you automatically after you've been idle a certain amount of time. The server will disconnect you with a Ping Timeout message only if you have been idle for more than a minute, which made it send you a Ping message and the client hasn't replied with a Pong in a reasonable amount of time. This is always the fault of your connection or your Internet provider's interruption in services, which causes the TCP connection to the IRC server to be lost somehow, or slowed down.

Netsplits have nothing to do with this, because netsplits occur between IRC servers, not between an IRC server and the people connected to it. If you ping the people connected to the same server with you, or if you ping yourself, the lag shouldn't exceed more than 2 seconds. If it does, then you are either using a server far away in the world, or your Internet connection sucks.

In very rare occasions, the IRC operators who administer the server you are connected to may decide to restart the server, usually after installing software patches or performing hardware maintenance; in this case, all people connected to that server will be disconnected, there's nothing you can do about it.

All this being said, an anti idle script is pretty much useless, since the Ping? Pong! system maintains the connection active. You could run a timer to ping yourself every 30 seconds, but it's annoying and, again, useless. If you're having problems with frequent disconnections, the first thing you must check is your Internet connection, modem, cables, and service of your provider. A hint that the services are suffering from interruptions could be error messages in browser that "Connection was closed by remote server" or "Transfer interrupted" or similar messages, or perhaps downloads which break in the middle, instant messengers which get disconnected frequently, and so on. Ask your Internet provider or phone company for help in these instances.

Hope this clears up the Ping Timeout and idle problem.

OUTsider

Post by OUTsider »

Just ping yourself, a ping is using privmsg and thus will reset your idle time.

//ping $me
Don't bother reading, I'm just the lame botlender, right ?

Garp

Post by Garp »

or you type the following antiidle command:

Code: Select all

/timeraniidle 100 900 /msg $me .
Explanation:
The timer with the name antiidle sends 100 times a . to you all 900 secounds.

Instead of $me you can use a #channel .... if they don't ban you for your antiidle dot.

Instead of . you can use * yawn *, *lalala* or whatever comes into your mind :)

If you use mirc, you can put this command in File > Options > Connect > Perform. That makes your mirc starting this command every time when you connect.

OUTsider

Post by OUTsider »

/timer antiidle 100 900 /ping $me
This might work better, also it won't create a popup with yourself.
Don't bother reading, I'm just the lame botlender, right ?

JeepC77

Post by JeepC77 »

OUTsider wrote:
This might work better, also it won't create a popup with yourself.
This is true.
But you can be constantly disturbed of this timer if you do not set the IRC client right...
Depends of the window in which the CTCP's are sent.
See FILE/OPTIONS/IRC --> "Show in active" settings and the sub-menu "Events..." to set the window in which the CTCP's and other actions are sent.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GCM d-- s+:- a- C++ UL P+ L++ E W++ N+ o-- K- w
O- M V PS+++ PE Y+ PGP t 5 X+ R tv-- b++ DI++ D+
G e++ h r- y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Garp

Post by Garp »

OUTsider wrote:/timer antiidle 100 900 /ping $me

It has to be

Code: Select all

/timerantiidle 100 900 /ping $me