[General] Ping Time out !

Ask your general or IRC related questions.
evi|one

Post by evi|one »

Some opers don't want to be listed on servers.php
I am a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

kid

Post by kid »

I wonder why, anyone can provide me with an interesting reply?
Don't tell me it's for not getting any messages regarding oper assistance.

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

I am realy confused :confused:
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

cArLiLLoS

Post by cArLiLLoS »

The right to privacy overrules any other. Please, respect this right of our network officials.

Best regards

Carlos

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

We are they the only ones who diserv privacy....?
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

cArLiLLoS

Post by cArLiLLoS »

Undernet users have the benefits of the mode +x (host hiding) as a way to keep their real public addresses hidden from malicious intentions. Everyone has the right to keep their personal information private. So, please, respect this right.

No more comments from this side.

Carlos

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

I heard that some officials can join channels without beeing seen...they are invisible..is that true ? :-?

evi|one

Post by evi|one »

no, it's not. ircu doesn't have such "features"

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

Let's return a bit to the topic...i have one more question...i would like to know the answer to Why do "Ping TimeOUT " occure ? Is it because of idle time...or what is a good explenation for this ???

Eenie

Post by Eenie »

Ping is the IRC server inquiring whether the client (your IRC software) is still connected to the server. Pong is the response from your client indicating you are still there. If the server does not get a pong, you are disconnected by a ping timeout. The process is automatic.

Eenie :)

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

Is there any kind of limit of time, i mean if the server dosen't get the answer in 2 min you will get disconected or something....And yes...but why would there be no answer from my IRC client. How can this happen ?What causes this ?

evi|one

Post by evi|one »

The PING/PONG system is a means for the server to check wether the client is still there. If the client is lagging big time, there's no point in wasting resources to maintain the connection. The idea behind it is pretty simple:
If the client is inactive (ie: doesn't send any messages) the server sends it a PING message.
The clients automatically respond with a PONG message.
If the client doesn't respond within a given time (twice the duration of ping frequency (set in the ircd.conf Y:lines)) the server disconnects the client.

Reference:
The client-server protocol
ircd.conf
Last edited by evi|one on Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

A lot of good information in the pages you told me, but i do have another question...what about if someone pings you..is there any difference between that and a server ping ?

evi|one

Post by evi|one »

When you send a CTCP ping to someone you send a special kind of private message. The messege contains a timestamp. The other client gets the message and returns it to you (this time using NOTICE, not PRIVMSG) without touching the timestamp. Your client then makes the difference between the current timestamp and the timestamp in the message. That's the round-trip lag.

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

I heard that if someone pings you too many times you get lag and you could get disconected by a Ping TimeOUT ! Is it true ?