[Help] "timer" abuse?

Ask your general or IRC related questions.
fishbone

[Help] "timer" abuse?

Post by fishbone »

First post/topic :)
Hope I got the right section.

Is there such a thing as abuse using timers? I ask this because I have just installed a script which upon reconnecting from a disconnect, it tries to retrieve the old nickname. As you know, nicknames persist as "ghosts" for a while, and such a script is very useful if I am afk.

So here comes the question. Is there a risk of getting G-Lined or K-Lined if the script repeats the /nick <nickname> command too often?

Spidel

Post by Spidel »

i doubt that, you won't get gline for such thing :)
"A wise man writes down what he thinks, a stupid man forgets what he thinks, a complete idiot punishes himself for what he thinks."

Sabin

Post by Sabin »

The definition of timer is performing a command at a specified interval of time, which is not an abuse. A G-line/K-line is placed in case of abuse( flooding, mass messaging etc ). The risk of activating multiples timers or a timer with a low interval( eg.: performing same command every three seconds ) it may cause lag or worse getting your IRC client disconnected from the server. You said you use timer(s) to recover your nick when getting disconnected, here's a trick( if you use mIRC as an IRC client ) : put your nickname in your notify list ( /notify your_nick - to add it ) and after in your mIRC remote section ( press Alt+r ) - to reach it: ON *:UNOTIFY:if ($nick = put_your_nick_here ) && ($network = undernet) nick $nick . After this done, write /remote on , to activate remote events. PS: in mIRC options at Alternative nickname complete that field with some other nickname or something like nick- or nick`, thing useful in case there is a gost of your nickname.
[img]http://www.undernet.org/design/logo4.jpg[/img]

fishbone

Post by fishbone »

The script that I have now works great, sdmynick it's called. It's on a 6 second timer which I think is pretty reasonable.
Mersi de ajutor, Sabine ;)