[Help Connection] Two connections from same ip.

Ask your general or IRC related questions.
shakrai

[Help Connection] Two connections from same ip.

Post by shakrai »

Hello:

I'm an old timer where IRC is concerned but I been out of the game for quite awhile. I've come to Undernet and noticed quite a few changes (like the disabled /links and /maps).

I had one main question that nobody could seem to answer. What exactly is the Undernet policy on bots and multiple connections? I'd like to run a bot for my old channel off my broadband connection -- but I don't want to be mistaken for a drone/clone runner and g-lined (either automatically or manually).

Now if a server allows bots and there are _two_ (not three, not four or more) connections from my hostname is there going to be a problem? In the old days I wouldn't even be asking this question but times seem to have changed quite a bit.

Hyper^

Post by Hyper^ »

Hello , -> http://www.undernet.org/documents/aup.html <- you can find Undernet's AUP. Also check the /motd of the servers and see the ones which accept more than one connection from the same IP/host.

Thanx.
Last edited by Hyper^ on Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watch out your attitude! Follow the white rabbit...

TheTerror

Post by TheTerror »

2 connections will not be a problem, as far as i know you get an auto gline for 6 connections (which is anyway hard to get).

bots are legal on most servers, but ONLY if they are non-abusive bots (don't spam, don't msg on join/part).

`Dj

Post by `Dj »

The max connections depends on the server, there are servers that allow only 2, and others that allow up to 5 afaik..you should pick some servers from http://www.undernet.org/servers.php and try..

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

As far as I know you can connect up to 3 irc clients per Ip addy if you exist on that then sorry you will receive a glined ( excessive connections )
This is based on my experience.. :wink:
I love Maria Katrina Rey

TheAbyss

Post by TheAbyss »

Yeap things changed a little bit to prevent abuse :) Using irc.* will connect you to the server most near you and when you are connected read the /motd, usually it writes there how many clones you are allowed to use
~ He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an Abyss, The Ábyss gazes also into you. ~

TheTerror

Post by TheTerror »

Well from my POV, I can connect 5 clones, using diffrent servers. I tried and it works just fine, no g-line received

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

5 connections on one ip address? :o
I love Maria Katrina Rey

TheTerror

Post by TheTerror »

yeah.. just try using different servers

TheAbyss

Post by TheAbyss »

Maybe when you connect 6 clones you get gline... i'm not sure though :oops:
~ He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an Abyss, The Ábyss gazes also into you. ~

TheTerror

Post by TheTerror »

yes.. as far as I know 6 clones = gline, but anyway it's hard to get 6 clones

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

let's see what's the result of connecting 5 clients with the same ip address I'll try it though.. :wink:
I love Maria Katrina Rey

TheAbyss

Post by TheAbyss »

Its hard to connect 5 and more clones :P So if anyone does manage to connect 5 or 6 he will just get glined :) Try it if you like

TheTerror

Post by TheTerror »

for 5 you don't get glined, only 6

`Dj

Post by `Dj »

There are servers that don`t accept even 2 connections from same IP, so be thankfull u got more than 1 :P