[Help] Silence Command.

Ask your general or IRC related questions.
xmarluix

[Help] Silence Command.

Post by xmarluix »

so that it serve the command /silence ? :-?

tommytee

Post by tommytee »

It usually helps you when you are flooded. Using /silence +*!*@ it will ignore all your privates - so you cannot get any private messages -> no flood. Also /silence is used for any kind of hosts, when someone is bothering you ( *!user@host ; *!*user@host ; *!*@host ; *!*user@*.host ; *!*@*.host ; nick!user@host etc )
To remove the silence do /silence -*!*@ - or any other host.

We can say that silence is more like /ignore command,but silence is more 'powerful' then /ignore command.
Why is that? Because the *silence* is made on the server, and the ignore is made on your IRC client. And, in case you are flooded and you use /ignore *!*@ - you will not be able to see what is happening in the channels that you joined, while /silence command alows you that feature ( to 'see' )

Best regards.
Gunned up and clapped quick..

xmarluix

Post by xmarluix »

very good its answer, very been thankful :)

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

problem solve I think this one should be locked.
I love Maria Katrina Rey

Homer

Post by Homer »

We can say that silence is more like /ignore command,but silence is more 'powerful' then /ignore command.
Why is that? Because the *silence* is made on the server, and the ignore is made on your IRC client. And, in case you are flooded and you use /ignore *!*@ - you will not be able to see what is happening in the channels that you joined, while /silence command alows you that feature ( to 'see' )

Best regards.

You can still choose what to ignore; dcc, notice, ctcps, channel messages, color messages and others. Also using the Ignore command you will still be getting flooded because the mIRC will still be receiving the message and blocking them, on the other hand (as tommytee said) silence is way better.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

mwx

Post by mwx »

tommytee wrote:It usually helps you when you are flooded. Using /silence +*!*@ it will ignore all your privates - so you cannot get any private messages -> no flood.

Yeah but like Home says, this command ignores all ctcps, notices, and dccs so you have to think about that before using it. Also I don't wanna repeat what Homer says, but you can chose these commands /ignore - p * , ignores the privates, also the same thing for c = channels, n = notices, t = ctcps, i = invites, k = control codess, d = dccs
Regards, Lomax.