[Help Connection] Connectivity regarding European servers

Ask your general or IRC related questions.
Lysergic

[Help Connection] Connectivity regarding European servers

Post by Lysergic »

Hello,

I am using Undernet from Sweden, and I wonder which European servers who allow access for me (for example).

Is there a list with an "allowed countries / ISPs" for every server connected to the Undernet IRC network, and if not - could this be arranged?

It would be a nice thing, as I want to connect to a server that is the closest to me (which in my case would be "stockholm.se.eu.undernet.org"), and if this server would be down, it would be nice to have one or more backup-servers listed in the client I use.

Homer

Post by Homer »

if I'mt not wrong the only server that blocks all the IP's is the romanian server and only allows Romanian ang Hungerian IP's.

there are many servers that accepts connections from sweden, the only reason that some ISP's may be K-Lined is due of abuse.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Lysergic

Post by Lysergic »

Thanks for the heads up on that one.

I must say that I think it's grand that Undernet is so widespread geographically, and that the opers speak various languages. This can be such a huge pro when it comes to handle abuse and conflicts!

Homer

Post by Homer »

I agree on what you said.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Dooku

Post by Dooku »

I just wait that they when Undernet will be the biggest IRC Network and it will have something like 100 server all over the world :D
You must join me, and together we will destroy the Sith.
[img]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4327/undernetuser0jm.png[/img]

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

you can try the random one use /server eu.undernet.org it might work.

sirAndrew

Post by sirAndrew »

Actually, eu.undernet.org and us.undernet.org don`t connect you to a random server. They just redirect you to the nearest undernet server to you to ensure a stable and fast connection for you.
sirAndrew @ Undernet.org

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

lemuel

Post by lemuel »

that's what I mean.. :wink:

YounGun

Post by YounGun »

No, it doesn't. There is no smart-dns resolution (outsider was thinking of adding it though, if i'm not wrong)

You should be connecting to Stockholm.SE.Eu.Undernet.org on ports 6666-7000.

A list of existing servers is availible at http://www.undernet.org/servers.php

Keeping in mind the number of availible ipv4 address, you cannot include all the hosts that are allowed to connect to a server. However you can say what adresses are blocked but, a list of disallowed hosts on each server is and will never be availible. This is because Server/Network-wide bans will never be disclosed to the general public. There is no reason to..

OUTsider

Post by OUTsider »

yeah, was thinking about smart-dns, but it would be tricky to do. Every user would need to stick to the dns servers as assigned by their ISP, and the netblock would need to be registered having the country of origin where the isp and that user resides noted.
The dns server would see from where the dns request originates and would determine based on the origin of the request which ip to send back.
Another thing is loadbalancing users more efficiently as well.
All irc servers would need to have some form of stats that enable that dns server to determine the load of the server (a modification of genethic in combination with a common sql server where all serverclients are connected to might do that trick)
The dns server would look at that load as well, if a local server would be full he would pick the next one in chain not being in that country but still nearby.
Don't bother reading, I'm just the lame botlender, right ?