[General] Why IRCops don't talk with people?

Ask your general or IRC related questions.
thesnake

[General] Why IRCops don't talk with people?

Post by thesnake »

Once i had a big problem and on #nastrand and #zt wasn't any helper. How could i resolve my problem if the helper arived after a few hours and he didn't had a IRCop online. Sorry for my bad english.

karlife

Post by karlife »

irc ops talks to some users.. like me :)

MAYBE THEY ARE JUST VERY BUSY.
#*(_$&@#(*$&#!@(*$&#@*(_%&$@*(%&#@!_(%&#!*(%&@#$(_%&@#$*(&@!+)%@#(%*@#$^)(#)@(%|#@!+)%(!|#+^#!|%#!_+%))#%(#@+$|%)$|%)($

ZeroSlashe®

Post by ZeroSlashe® »

that's not the answer he was looking for karlife ;) except for the coloured part

But it's hard to believe that there weren't any ircops online... there is always an ircop online, it's just that most of them don't or hardly show up in some of the major help chans.
[img]http://members.chello.nl/zeroslasher/twat.jpg[/img]

DumbGirL

Post by DumbGirL »

thesnake :lol:
That question is being asked by many people but hey there is one answer, just like the answers above, they r busy and think about it... if IRCops will answer every /msg they get..... :confused: doesn't sounds good, does it? (Im sure it doesnt for them)

:classic:

sirAndrew

Post by sirAndrew »

Dudes, there are a few probls
1: oper help channel are more than #nastrand and #zT there is also #Arlington where there are many ircops most of the time.
2:Finding an ircop is more easy by typeing /who 0 o (the first one is zero)
3:Ircops have the network to take care of so they are busy people
4:all the undernet staff does voluntary work, they have a job , school, or a family like the rest of us, try to understand them.
sirAndrew @ Undernet.org

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

Homer

Post by Homer »

i think this topic is already being talked at http://www.undernet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

In fact it is, but it's not the only subject discussed in more then one topic, there are more, but the moderators don't have a lot of time to deal with all this, besides their other duties and most important, their life.
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

DumbGirL

Post by DumbGirL »

I didn't like how that sounded
It is true that moderators have other stuff to do too but there are different moderators for each section. And there is also a "Search" you guys can do :roll: :roll:

Razvanet

Post by Razvanet »

True, true...not trying to blame them for anything just saying what could have in part caused this, don't take it as an acusation...it's not. :)
Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

sirAndrew

Post by sirAndrew »

can we get back to the topic thank you?
sirAndrew @ Undernet.org

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

wibbly

Post by wibbly »

What sort of user to ircop ratio is there on undernet in total?
How does it compare with other networks?
If the ratio is comparatively poor, should we not recruit more ppl?
"Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle." - Robert Newton Anthony

puterfixer

Post by puterfixer »

Undernet has few IRC Ops and lots of people. Here, IRC Ops have their own agenda to take care of, most of them are "invisible" to the users. It's not their responsibility to engage in conversations, to help or maintain channels; there are helpers and help channels specialized on specific topics, and it's the ops' responsibility to take good care of their channels, and ultimately everything happening in a channel needs to be known and decided by the channel manager, if the channel is registered. Other networks have many more IRC Ops, which lead to fights for power, disconnecting servers when IRC Ops on a server got into a conflict with IRC Ops on another server, and also lots of inexperienced people or simply kids being granted powers they couldn't use responsibly.

W3bmaster

Post by W3bmaster »

wibbly wrote:What sort of user to ircop ratio is there on undernet in total?
How does it compare with other networks?
If the ratio is comparatively poor, should we not recruit more ppl?
hmm.. I dont think opers are recruited "just for fun" they should and are busy people that take care of the servers...

The primary duty of an IRCop is to keep their server connected to Undernet. That means that after a netsplit, they try to figure out the best way to reconnect their server so the users will be least disrupted. Of course, they also try to prevent netsplits as best they can. Secondary duties are somewhat less important, and different IRCops have differing opinions of what those duties are. Generally, they may include: G:lining or /killing abusers (see G:line/K:line FAQ for details http://www.user-com.undernet.org/documents/k-gline.txt), hanging out in help channels, and using Uworld, Uworld2, or EUworld to resolve channel problems. An IRCop's responsibility is to maintain the servers and the network. All other duties performed by an IRCop is done because that IRCop wants to help users and has the spare time to do it.

so i dont think some "kids" can become opers :P, at least thats my opinion....

anyway.. for more usefull infos go to http://www.user-com.undernet.org/documents/operfaq.php
Proud to be romanian

Mal`GaniS

Post by Mal`GaniS »

Razvanet quote:
In fact it is, but it's not the only subject discussed in more then one topic, there are more, but the moderators don't have a lot of time to deal with all this, besides their other duties and most important, their life.

I agree with that, because if IrcOpers discussed with everybody they will dont have time for him job ( to deal with him server )
and there are to many users who wants to talk with IrcOpers to get some points to become IrcOpers, and they just bother to IrcOpers and because of that ( that is 2nd reason ) IrcOpers dont talk with everybody, some IrcOpers disscused with some users if they have time, because of that there ( on #cservice, #zt or #nastrand ) are volunteers who helping users with him problems, and on Undernet are to many users who want to get in Undernet Administration ( http://cservice.undernet.org/people ) , for that are volunteers to help people, when IrcOpers dont have time !!!
Just Tell Me One Thing: Do You Ever Dance With The Devil On The FullMoonLight !!!

wensu

Post by wensu »

Well, you see all the mIRCop look after the servers and they make sure they stay connected to UnderNet all the time.

When a server splits, they have to put on their scuba gear and swim undersea and try to fix the "broken link"

They swim back, and then get clothed again, and run back to the office, only to see another split, so they have to go back out to the sea to fix that too.

So, you see the reason they can't talk to you is because they are way too busy going for deep sea swims.

Ohh and of course, when they get a free moment, they even may have a little bit of ranchy botsex with X when the Cservice Admins are not looking!

- wensu