Wannabe

Ask questions about Undernet's Channel Service
KoGiTo

Post by KoGiTo »

Spidel wrote:*was about to say that as well but in a different manner* Cservice has been like this, since ever. since on the very first moment when i joined it. Some things can't change but they can be improved OR they'll remain like this FOREVER. however there's nobody to blame about it, sometimes yeah i know it looks like a horse contest like KoGiTo used to say, but we can't do anything about it except the fact we as ops to settle down the situation and to have under-controll the channel otherwise would be chaos, most of the newcomers really wants to help and they really love what they do, why would we need to stop them for providing such a good help? we don't need to stop them, we need to 'applause' them and finally reward them for the great work they do and some of them are rewarded if they truly deserve it if not they will not be, because without them CService wouldn't be such an active channel, or the guest(s) wouldn't be helped at all, due too lack of newcomers.

just my 2 cents.
I never said that "it looks like a horse contest", but "competitions are for horses, not for artists" :P
However, if 3-4 people jump to help an user, only one of them will really do it. So where's the problem ;)
Dubito Ergo Cogito , Cogito Ergo Sum !

^5

Post by ^5 »

:devious: The question is good, but I don't have an answer. :P
As far I can see from here is not a competition but is nice to see lots of ppl welling to dedicate thir free time for the good of others and thier experience with :evil: X :evil: for ppl that needs it.
:devil:

:classic:
* Have no fear, SPIR is here!
* With regards,
* John Michael (SPIR) aka ^5

Spidel

Post by Spidel »

I didn't want to bring this in here, but sometimes there's what so ever 'race' between newcomers, and i guess and hope you know what i'm talking about and from what i saw, mostly are in some sorta of rush of helping an user, or people just jump on him/her like he's/she's a prey which has to be hunted and then eaten if i can call it in this way and rushing is bad while helping, and there's time when i see 2-3 newcomers helping the same person and if you're in his/her shoes of being helped by 2-3 newcomers, seeing various answers, wrong/correct/incomplete/complete ones, you'd be like, uh what these guys are trying to tell me? confused, really ;) just my point of view. I just wanted to point out this. oh yeah forgot to say something, and you'd feel also frustrated, believe me. but then again, i like the way it is (sometimes NOT), seeing them willing to help and loving what they do.

-hopes that this post won't be considered a contradictory to my previously post- :wink:
"A wise man writes down what he thinks, a stupid man forgets what he thinks, a complete idiot punishes himself for what he thinks."

^5

Post by ^5 »

yep, your right :) :devious:
* Have no fear, SPIR is here!
* With regards,
* John Michael (SPIR) aka ^5

Revival

Post by Revival »

What thats meant Newcomers?

Im here since 2004 :}

Ex info :MarJiNaL is ~Effects@Effects.users.undernet.org * Intelligence officer

*lol*
But this username has been removed while I was soldier

Really newcomers meant for new comers.. trying to help people?
[img]http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4200/revitp8.jpg[/img]

Spidel

Post by Spidel »

any new participant in some activity, this is the meaning of a newcomer, but we can call it on the way you said, im not into wannabe word.
"A wise man writes down what he thinks, a stupid man forgets what he thinks, a complete idiot punishes himself for what he thinks."

dutu

Post by dutu »

wannabeeessss! I love this word. We're all wannabes, the heck.

offtopic: I heared some interesting words in a channel from someone I like and know, like
don't be stupid like you were, be good like before
there is too much time, my irc behaviour is not the same, maybe yours also, the heck it is not how it was once....

About the wannabe issue, whats up? I want to help, he wants to help, they want to help, someone asks, 3 persons reply, one finishes as |{ said

take care and dont hate me. I wont ever hate you..

cArLiLLoS

Post by cArLiLLoS »

Poor quality wannabes rush in giving answers without being completely sure whether they are correct or not. They use "test and error" methods without even caring if the user gets an incorrect answer with the correspondant nuisances.

Conversely, there are people who humbly join, sit quietly, watch the procedures, observe the rules, get the knowledge and when they become confident enough they start helping. Users gain high quality help and have a very good impression of the channel and their helpers.

In my opinion, the first ones must reconsider their goals (whether they help for seeking access and recognition or they do really care about users' problems) because with their attitude they are doing bad to users and ruining their own reputation as well as that of the channel they help in. The second ones are from whom users benefit the most.

dutu

Post by dutu »

let someone who really spent some time there to talk, don't tell me you spent because in the present you did not. the past doesn't count as there's nothing the same as it was. So tell us how do you know how things hang in #cservice since you do not see whats done in?

xplora

Post by xplora »

We stopped using the word wannabe when it became derogatory (an insult), and started using NewComer instead.

Just my 2 cents.

Stefanoo

Post by Stefanoo »

newbie is what i use..
Stefano @ Douaihy.org