It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: AUP in other languages
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:46 pm 

I think that it would be a good idea to translate cservice Aup in other languages also,like it was made for XCMDS or other Cservicve documents,for avoiding any problems with the users who don't speak english,as a result we will have less trouble with cases like rejecting channels,because when a user who doesn't know english sees that document (AUP) in english is somewhat bored and I don't think that he will read it,I believe that this problem could be solved if AUP would be translated in other languages also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:54 pm 

regardless your idea, it doesn't sounds bad, but as you know and as i know most of the users who applies for a channel to be registered channel even if they know english, they will NOT read it, they will ignore it and proceed further with their channel application, without reading our channel services aup document.

Regards,
Spidel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:32 pm 
Cservice Official

I don't know, we could set up a dropdown box like "View the AUP in : Romanian" and the right page should appear when we click GO.

This suggestion is ok, as there are many people have no idea what that form says, and they click ACCEPT, and afterwards they're the ones that start whining about their channel getting purged, rejected and so on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:18 am 
Forum Moderator

It's not a bad idea at all, actually it's a good one.

P.S. Romanian != all languages :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:05 pm 

even better, after translating it, we should sort of 'force' the user to read it, by asking him to complete some kind of quiz with questions from the aup, then proceed to the reg process. Of course, the answers would become known, and they'll complete it without paying attention to what they write, but some may actually start and read :devil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:58 pm 
Cservice Official

How about a random set of questions that switch order, so they will be forced to memorize them if they want, and they'll have to understand them? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:00 pm 

anything, as long as it works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:27 am 
#Userguide Member

Wolfyx wrote:
even better, after translating it, we should sort of 'force' the user to read it, by asking him to complete some kind of quiz with questions from the aup, then proceed to the reg process. Of course, the answers would become known, and they'll complete it without paying attention to what they write, but some may actually start and read :devil:

Come on people its CHAT its not like they are trying to get a job or someting.... just make that thing that other website has, and like Word Of Warcraft(the game) has, you can go at the next step only if u drag the scroll bar to the bottom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:34 am 

Dooku wrote:
Come on people its CHAT its not like they are trying to get a job or someting....

Yes, it's just IRC. But still, users come and complain about their channel being purged because they did not respect the AUP. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:35 am 

Good thing for those who don't know how to speak English or having a hard time understanding English language :devious: and for those who understands English language well, not new to us. Just READ to ACHIEVE that's the key phrase. And please people if you don't understand about the AUP thing, please come online and join #Cservice and use your own language (you'll be answered if anyone knows how speak your language if not then you will be told what to do so).

Again, it's a good thing. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:48 pm 

There was a translation project on user-com, if you view the http://www.undernet.org/people.php list, you'll notice some "translators".

We have translated the Undernet AUP (not cservice aup) in several different languages.

Not only the Undernet AUP, we have translated some other documents, but I don't know where the translated documents are.

Anyway, all the significant documents such as AUPs should be translated in other languages and should be published on website.

Who is a lamer? -> http://www.lamerism.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:36 am 

AUP? what does AUP mean? stop confusing ppl plz :P )

When was the last time any of most of us actually READ a license agreement before we clicked on "I Agree"? (& made any sense of it even if we DID read it)....

rtfM just as rtfAUP might be a logical reply to the original post... even if well intentioned ppl translate the AUP in all available languages... there will still be complaints about it....

It's really amusing to see so many proponents of freedom for the sake of chaos (& vice versa) taking such a mouldy bureaucratic stance about such an issue :)

any kind of rules are a waste of spirit in any language if one cannot enforce them .... sometimes it is even better to enforce rules before even writing manuals about them....

Personally I couldn't script to save my life... Maybe I thought clean chat could protect me from ever learning how to... since '96...

What I suggest is that instead of translating all the existing AUPs in all available languages - including the mirc braille version - all of you who can (script) should start looking for a permanent solution to getting rid of the sociopathic marginal lusers who have managed to ruin the free chatting environment that undernet was....

regards....

PS: It's amazing what a few shots can do to one's perspective of things....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:26 am 
Cservice Official

RaKouNi wrote:
AUP? what does AUP mean? stop confusing ppl plz :P )

AUP stands for Acceptable Use Policy :)

Anyway, when it's the license agreement for a software, few of us actually read that damn thing, but when it's a page of text regarding the registration of a channel (steps and procedures), it's in your interest to read it and you really should, especially if you're new into this ;)

I kinda think that the ACCEPT button should be placed as a link within the text.
Users should realise that if something happens because they broke the AUP they previously accepted, we won't move a finger on that one, and the problem won't be solved.
Works more like signing a contract :P

-- edit by xplora
language, as a moderator, while i accept "damn" on irc, irc is more of a chat environment and has less power as a "bad word", the forum however is not a chat environment, it's a discussion environment, and I would like to expect more from CService Representatives/Trainee's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:34 am 
Senior Cservice Admin

Etherfast wrote:
Anyway, when it's the license agreement for a software, few of us actually read that damn thing, but when it's a page of text regarding the registration of a channel (steps and procedures), it's in your interest to read it and you really should, especially if you're new into this ;)

I would expect that a License Agreement is the better choice to read since it has legal implications, I do like the comparison.

It is always in our best interest to read anything that implies terms of use, whether it be CService or Undernet's Acceptible Use Policies, or a software license agreement, to a ticket for speeding and the laws regarding a drivers license. In this day and age, it is considered unacceptible to get away with "I didn't know that" just because we didn't read the information provided.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:09 pm 

*points at Etherfast* yea don't use bad language! damn u (i'm no Cservice whatever ;))

Anyway i don't really understand why we need more translations of the AUP.
I assume most people have had lessons in the english language and you don't need to understand the difficult words, just read the 'guide-lines' globally and you will understand the things you can and can't do *nods*.

Nonetheless this comment, still not a bad idea for people who are not interested in the english language, but that requires more languages then just Romanian *looks at evilly Mitko*. This means we get so many more pages and all translated while most are used to English anyway from several other international Forums as they all contain the english version anyway by standard/default :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next