It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: User spamming from outside the channel
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:15 am 

Hi,

For a few months, we have this new way of spamming incoming users on our channel. Our users are receiving a spam message from a user who is not on any channel. The info on new users joining the channel is relayed by a user who is on the channel. They are not clones; therefore, it is impossible to identify the user on the channel. I went to #nastrand to get help. The first time they helped me. The second time, the chanop referred me to report-abuse. I went to #report-abuse, the chanop kill the spamming user for massive spam but also said that is was not a case they would normally be involved in. I have to stress out that there is no malicious code in the spam we are getting. Is there anyone who would know if there is a help channel that is taking care of such cases?

Tx in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:47 am 

You as a channel operator can only ban the user, the trick is to find out who is the one that is working with the bots. Whois the spamer and whois the users in the channels, look for common channels. There are also scripts that kick users that are in a certain channel. If the channel is +p / +s there's nothing much you can do from what I know, but if you get a oper to help you he can see all the channels a user has joined even if they are +p / +s. The best idea would be to get a oper that could search for the spam nest and gline everything that joins, even set his own relay in there so that he could see who ever joins the channel so he could keep on with the glines. Well that's just Science Fiction as no oper would get that involved in a sole channel as they are very busy with bigger problems... but who knows you could get lucky. Good luck :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:17 am 

1-There is a programme like massmirc he putting some channel names on it and starting the auto-spam by proxy IPs so they aren't use any channel for something so..don't need to ask an oper to give a search.. It's useless
2- Some nicknames tagged by drones\spam bots so when you're connected then they msg's you occasionally.If the all of your channel users getting spam-msg on every joins then it's a massmirc stuff.

Don't worry this case will not threat your channel's registration while this case occurred out of your control.
You will have to send an email to abuse-exploits@undernet.org showing the abuse situation with your timestamped logs (data\time\whois information) and state your GMT into your e-mail. Then opers will watch and catch them soon and will be banned out from undernet as requested.

Best regards,RevivaL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:39 am 

ok i have the same problem im an helper on #Avu ( Anti-Virus Undernet)
and we have a spam bot scanning around 30 channels every hour and in maybe 5 channels the spamming is going and going and going .. sooo .. can you suggest me what to do .. to erradicate the problem ... Permantly ... :devil:

Post subject: Re: User spamming from outside the channel
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:46 am 

gemeau50 wrote:
Hi,

For a few months, we have this new way of spamming incoming users on our channel. Our users are receiving a spam message from a user who is not on any channel. The info on new users joining the channel is relayed by a user who is on the channel. They are not clones; therefore, it is impossible to identify the user on the channel. I went to #nastrand to get help. The first time they helped me. The second time, the chanop referred me to report-abuse. I went to #report-abuse, the chanop kill the spamming user for massive spam but also said that is was not a case they would normally be involved in. I have to stress out that there is no malicious code in the spam we are getting. Is there anyone who would know if there is a help channel that is taking care of such cases?

Tx in advance

I guess not. lol at least i'm being real. as you said, if they don't get involved with, those from #report-abuse obviously. there's nothing pretty much you can do about. just to simply ignore them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:57 pm 

Em3r1c4 wrote:
ok i have the same problem im an helper on #Avu ( Anti-Virus Undernet)
and we have a spam bot scanning around 30 channels every hour and in maybe 5 channels the spamming is going and going and going .. sooo .. can you suggest me what to do .. to erradicate the problem ... Permantly ... :devil:

Firstly; You're not a helper, As the cahnnel of your mentioned word isn't an official one. I will kindly recommend you to don't identify yourself as an helper, that will purely confuse people that stand around. ( But our whole purpose around is identical "to help people", someones are official someones aren't..we actually shouldn't get mad on that. So that's not creditable to stated in such cases.

According to your problem : It is already explained very clear and as far as i can see it was very understandable and there is no other way except setting the /ignore command on them, or better try to report as i mentioned it above.
Note: Also if you're not a regular user of the channels which you stated above, then leave them to take care their channels to report by themselves.

Best regards,Revival

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:00 am 

Revival
Quote:
Also if you're not a regular user of the channels which you stated above, then leave them to take care their channels to report by themselves.

YES i am a Official Member of #AVU and ok to /ignore but when people come to see you and say " i recieved a /msg and clicked on it , i installed something i dont know what it is and now my pc is slow.......""
well in these case you ask your self ... ()() is there a way to STOP this spammer ()()

I did my own research and i found the user who is controlling the bots. BUT no one no where wants to help me with this matter. Like a suspension, g-line ... something to show him he is not the one pulling the strings on Undernet ...

Please Guide me to the Good direction .....

( Something else then /ignore its absolutely no use ) [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hi

First of all, there are hundreds of drone runners on Undernet. - there is not just one
Second, filling up the gline list euworld is not a pretty smart thing to do - the goal here is to remove the drones, not to simply ban them from the network.

Em3r1c4, please remove the channel name you have in your forum signature - it is considered spamming.

Go to #report-abuse and report it - but I bet they already know about it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]