It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:08 pm 

"Mon Sep 1,11:48 AM ET, GENEVA - James Bond star Pierce Brosnan (news) has won control of the Internet name http://www.piercebrosnan.com in a ruling by a United Nations. The ruling said the registered owner of the name [...] was using it in bad faith."

PS
Many people live witht the false impression that domain names on the internet can be owned by someone on a first-request basis, but this is nolonger quite true:
"The U.N. arbitration system, which started in 1999, allows those who think they have the right to a domain to get it back without having to fight a costly legal battle or paying large sums of money."
Essentially, MISUSE of a domaine name is legally penalized nowadays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:58 pm 

Ehr, thanks for informing us.. but, eh.. what is the relation between your last post and the topic you started? :)

Kindly, fets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:30 pm 

Stefano, i thought the relation is pretty obvious:
1) The similarity of name allocation policies on the Internet and UNDERNET (first-come first-served)
2) Abusing NAMES on an "information superhighway" (no matter it's UNDERNET or Internet)
3) Ways to prevent abusing NAMES (the UN pannel is the method on the Internet, and i dared to suggest a method for the UNDERNET, whithout any claims that my method is the best, or endeed even good)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:56 pm 

so if I would start #gyll_is_lame then you would start a lawsuit when you don't get operator in that channel ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:02 pm 

Well, in this specific case no, i wouldn't sue you, i would contact you and tell you that gyll is my name, that i am well-known as gyll, and as such i will grant you permission to use my name there under this and that condition. It seems only natural to me. (of course, if i'm gyll and nobody knows me, that is to say my name has no relevance to the UNDERNST public, it would make no sense for me to ask you that)
Anyways, everything i'm saying here is meant to set forth a set of policies that would allow the *UNDERNET admins* to de-op a channel op if common-sense evidence is produced to show that the channel is improperly operated (i.e. it's not operated according to the set of rules that will be set forth for the non-[] chennels, and this set of rules will be more restrictive *from the op point of view*, but more liberal from the user point of view).
Basically, what i'm suggesting is to split the undernet in two worlds: the [] channels and the non-[] channels, and the policies should be different for the two as one world directly interferes with the notion of NAME.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:10 am 

My answer to this statement is short and simple: This will NEVER happen on undernet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:12 am 
#Userguide Member

The idea itself is bad, and I have argumented that in the past so I won't know. But even if it were good (which it is not) something of this magnitude would take forever to get changed given the amout of time and energy it takes for anything to get changed.
My personal suggestion to you is to stop asking for it or trying to show us how this will be better, you will always fail. Create your own network, find some coders that don't have anything better to do to get the coding for this done and make channels and [channels] there.
Or learn to live with the way things are, which is the best way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:43 pm 

Okay.
I read and re-read my posts and i reached the conclusion that, for the time being, i kinda covered everything i had on my mind. If the case i tried to make is not compelling enough i'll have to admit there's not much else i can do. After all, UNDERNET is not mine, it belongs to the ones who have the power to decide its policies, and i'll have to deal with this fact-of-life one way or another.
So, here you have it: I rest my case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:38 pm 
#Userguide Member

I have to congratulate you, that was the wise thing to do. Dragging this on even further would have been futile. Maybe you can channel your energy into another, more productive, idea someday.
Regards

Post subject: heh
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:49 pm 

gyl why dont u create your own IRC server and make all the "popular" channels public. UnderNet isnt a goverment service, its a private service. Each server reserves the right to kick or bar any one without a reason. (/MOTD)! Let me put it in a scenario.

In your house you have a garden, you invite some friends over and have a BBQ. Obviously u dont want to invite everyone and some people are not invited. But a BBQ is a popular event. Does this mean that everytime you make a BBQ you have to invite every tom dick and harry to your BBQ because its a popular event?

So just like programming which can mean anything and can stand for everything and nothing, the person who registered the channel along with the 10 supporters reserves the right for entrance. Obviously he has his private gathering just like you would have your private BBQ. And he doesnt want to everyone to come to his channel because he doesnt know them. So it kind of makes sense, or am I confusing.

CService is like da feds. They cant force you to open your own private garden and make into a public place, because the garden is yours. Just like programming belongs to some dude. And CService cant really do hello, nor should they do anything. Because they will need another committie to decide which channel should be made public.

Maybe if you sign a petetion of 10000000 people and send it to CService they might consider it. But it just looks your quite alone buddy, in this big bad world.
Dont forget access to undernet is a privelage and not a right. Until the policy changes from point A. Nothing should be changed on point B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:34 am 

Ok... for the one that post this reply... The Undernet channels policy is that the one with @ ( Operator ) even if the channel is registered or not, even if he/she is 500 or less, he/she runs the channel as he/she want, that`s a rule... so You better live with that my friend ((:

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2