It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Channel Security Committee
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:13 pm 

I have read many posts on requests and in some cases demands that UnderNet do more in terms of code changes to add more modes to help better protect channels and users.

Most medium-sized channels have eggdrops in place that help with channel security, rather than change the entire code, can undernet not start a seperate Committee that certifies, helps and keeps members up to date on TCL scripts that help maintain the security of the channel.

I am fully aware of the hundreds of scripts available to users on the internet however each TCL script requires basic scripting knowledge to understand and comprehend and the frustration builds up because the user can not configure the scripts or their eggdrops properly.

Its a new age and eggdrops are very common as opposed to several years ago. I believe that CService should start a seperate division that looks into TCL scripting, certify the existing ones and if possible develop or modify scripts to work with ease on undernet.

Most of the abuse can be sorted out in channels, channels have general issues and unique issues.

Post subject: Re: Channel Security Committee
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:33 pm 

Channel modes for protection: +m +r +s +p

Use +m to moderate the channel when flood by ctcp and so on
Use +r to allow only registered users to join your channel
+s/+p will strongly help your channel about joining clones

User features: silence and +d

/silence +*!*@* / -*!*@* to block all messages/ctcp
+d to ignore all channels

If you need extra info join #help or #userguide via irc. But let`s take it to the other side; if coders will try other modes this will obvious set our servers to the edges so thats not really good. All this knowledge you can get via irc on the specified channels above but keep in mind that there is really no need for a new official help channel. Every channel manager/operator will manage the channel as he knows to do it and can ask for help everywhere. As for CService dealing with tcl scripting, never ever will you see that for there it`s cleary and carved in stone that CSC is helping only *X* and registered channels issues.

I`m Clubbin!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:16 pm 

I can change a lil' bit your idea. How about 50 / 100 + eggdrops made by undernet's staff , for channel(s) protection ? (with tcl's and stuff). That could help some channels.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:50 pm 

That not a good ideea `Dan and all this kind of suggestions will do nothing; cservice will remain as an official *X* help channel. Regarding the eggdrops, csc will take the interface of an botlending channel and thats not good. It could help in a network with no line set for helping and no ideas but we have the base line and we have the best helping channels of all networks.

I`m Clubbin!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:47 am 

I didn't said anything about *CSC* , i said abt. server admins , they can get up 1-2 eggdrops on their servers. anw .. it was a idea and they will decide if it's good or not :) Have fun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:11 am 
Senior Cservice Admin

look up the histories of #userservice and I can't remember the name of the other, I know it had oasis in the name, both were this idea :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]