It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Registration - Nicknames
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:53 pm 

I know this has been talked about on this forum somewhere. I know Dalnet allowed the use of user to register their nicknames, and even kick someone for using their nick to get it back. I have had an on going issue with a male overseas somewhere who uses my nickname all the time. He will sit idle for days/weeks/months to keep me from using it. And I have used the same nick since Dalnet days. It would really be nice to have this feature enabled on the Undernet as well. Many people I have known and talked to over the years have all said this would be something they would love to see the Undernet do. We can after all register a user ID, so why not a nickname? As wonderful as the Undernet is, this is something that would be great for room owners/OPs, all who have been coming to the Undernet for years now. I would really love to see the Underent implement Registration of Nicknames for their faithful users.

Alexis`

Room Owner - Alexis`

Come Join the Fun!

Post subject: Re: Registration - Nicknames
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:28 pm 

I agree that it would be great to be able to register and keep your nickname. I can tell you I often get messages for someone else. Most people are embarrassed that they got the wrong person. It would make it so much easier to have a nickname you can keep like Dalnet does. If Dalnet can do that, why can't Undernet?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:08 pm 

I would love this feature to happen. We need some more control over how we can keep our nicknames and identities. On sexnet, I am registered and my nicks have all been safe for over 5 yrs. They have just completed a server upgrade and I had to re-register the nicks but it was very easy. Took all of 5 minutes to re-register.

Undernet has done a good job absorbing the people from Dalnet. Now we can hope that the good network peeps can continue to keep the hackers at bay.

Good job network peeps.

Thanks RdWizard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:56 am 

I've been wondering why registering our nicknames hasnt happened on Undernet. I have another guy who is on pedophile channels use my nick, and leave it active for hours. I've asked him not to use my nick, but he said it gets more responses than his old name and he wont stop using it. I hope this ability comes true on Undernet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:31 am 

Please let us register our nicknames to protect our identity. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:41 am 

While being able to register with X is great and gives us an identifier so that our friends know that we are who we truly are, being able to register our nicks would be even better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:28 pm 

I hope they never do this, i find the nick mugging idea is terrible... yes it sucks loosing a nick name, but its a beeping free world!!!! if someone wants to use some nick then let em!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:43 pm 
#Userguide Member

Yes, it has been discussed here already, also thats one of the unique factors of this IRC net, if you really think that a nickname represents you and its already taken, you are free to use your imagination and to add some special chars. like "[] {} ` _" etc.
Also .... 8 registered accounts in 2 days and all of them replied here on this topic ... strange ... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:40 pm 

Actually, it's not that strange. Consider they are all regular memembers of a room on the undernet, and we have all talked about this for a very long time. Being the room owner, I searched out the forum here and posted and then showed them all the link where I posted on here, hoping someone would see the post and others would reply. We all love going to the undernet, but it gets old fast not being able to have a registered nick. I have a guy who uses my nick and goes into ped rooms etc. Others the same thing. And if someone comes in your room and gets banned or kicked by you, then you log out, they will log in and sit on your nick for days/weeks to hello you off more or less. And there's nothing you can do to keep your original nick.

So while all these posts are new, they are all by different indivuals who do come to my room. And I hope more ppl who come here to the forum will see this and realize how many ppl would love to see this as a choice on the undernet as well.

Thanks for replyin!

Alexis

Room Owner - Alexis`

Come Join the Fun!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:48 pm 

Dooku wrote:
Yes, it has been discussed here already, also thats one of the unique factors of this IRC net, if you really think that a nickname represents you and its already taken, you are free to use your imagination and to add some special chars. like "[] {} ` _" etc.
Also .... 8 registered accounts in 2 days and all of them replied here on this topic ... strange ... :roll:

I've been coming to Undernet for years. Why should I have to add special characters to my original nickname if someone camps on it after I've been using it for who knows how long? Also, why resort to some sarcastic rebuttal? As Alexis said, she showed us this thread so we could comment if we wanted to. After all, the forum is titled "How can we improve undernet?", this is her suggestion and this is how we feel about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:53 pm 

I meant to say, your welcome to drop by the room, and you can see for yourself all the ppl who have posted on this here, are true/real individuals, if you'd like to come meet them. Your certainly welcome to. (So long as your over 18 yrs. of age that is)

Alexis
#RealBigBoobs

Dooku wrote:

Room Owner - Alexis`

Come Join the Fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:24 am 

Hi all,

Well i agree with Alexis anyways
Would be nice to register your own nick, in that way it's also easier to get to know people because you never have to wonder if the person your talking to, is actually the same person you spoke to last time.

See ya'll

Hans

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:37 am 
#Userguide Member

Hans33 wrote:
Hi all,

Would be nice to register your own nick, in that way it's also easier to get to know people because you never have to wonder if the person your talking to, is actually the same person you spoke to last time.

See ya'll

Hans

You can recognize someone after his username as well, also if undernet will start having something like that (a username and a nickname registration service) it will create even more confusion among users and officials as well.
If this kind of service would have been released(after all this years of chat without this nickservice) on 25.01.2008 at 00:00 and you ware away ... and another user registered your so precious nickname, what then ? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:38 pm 

Dooku wrote:
Hans33 wrote:
Hi all,

See ya'll

Hans

You can recognize someone after his username as well, also if undernet will start having something like that (a username and a nickname registration service) it will create even more confusion among users and officials as well.
If this kind of service would have been released(after all this years of chat without this nickservice) on 25.01.2008 at 00:00 and you ware away ... and another user registered your so precious nickname, what then ? :lol:

Then you register another nick, or version of your nickname, that you will always be able to have. That's an easy answer.

Room Owner - Alexis`

Come Join the Fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

This will never happen. Btw, nickname registration was discussed in a few other topics, so no need to talk about it again, just use the search feature of the forum.

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next