It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Masskick command for admins only or from a certain level
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:42 am 
How about a /msg x kick #channel *!*@* available only for 400+?
The problem would improve the channel safety, since it can be issued only when they want to get rid of the whole channel when closing it for good, as an example.
Well, why. You've seen a lot of channels getting that problem.
There is no way of normal users imunize from the command issued.
A lot of channels have suffered since then, 100+ users having their usernames/bouncers hacked or stollen doing that. Or even simple people doing that intentionally, when bored out of Undernet, like leaving (heard such cases also) and doing it to get some fun.
The command can even be performed by mistake, if you're getting only a simple typo.
It looks bad, it gives a bad reputation to channels, and don't get me be the manager suffering that.

If Undernet gets that...
Managers trust the ops more (there are no ways doing a mass revenge kick on people, without the help of wonderful X) with so many all around protection scripts invented/or bots.
Having a user under 75 on a strict op channel, is like having him tied.
Can't protect channel from floods (if on a help channel) unless he does kicks - can't set a ban.
Most of the people added to help channels, yes, trusted. Yes, over 100.
And yes, channels still getting masskicks.

I'm just presenting a small pledge, and some small reasons of why I would like that implemented to X.
And I bet it couldn't take so much time, blacklisting it or implementing a special level in case we want it to be used.

Maybe it's the wrong forum also, so I hope the coder-com hears and reads this or replies.
Would be wonderful. :)

silvered@user-com.undernet.org
Translators project manager

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:39 am 

I approve this idea completly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:41 pm 

actually to do a mass-kick, it requires 200+ on the other hand probably you meant mass-ban, well you can do it if you're at least 75 level or higher and tell you what, managers are responsable of what's happening in their own channel, if they can't manage their own channel, then they shouldn't register a channel in the first place, they should know how to manage it first and then to register one and i understand there's some issues with people from UnderNet, i know most of them are not trustworthy, but such events can occur when you less expect, but primarly the manager should know the person they add if actually can trust him/her and i assume this topic has been overly-discussed.

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:54 pm 
Why would you want someone on 200+ do a mass kick, when someone on 75 or more, can do a massban.
I probably misunderstood that, or you were in a hurry to answer.
Anyhow, it would not have that much logic to do it like that, and if it is like that, it's quite useless, and severly needs to be changed.

Let me quote:
Quote:
managers are responsable of what's happening in their own channel, if they can't manage their own channel, then they shouldn't register a channel in the first place

Let's get it straight right here. You know channels like #nastrand, #vh and so on, got masskicks, now go and blame the managers, for that someone getting his username stollen, or hacked, or just someone (good friend of the friend, of the friend) getting logged in that username, and doing that to channels.

Tell them they shouldn't have a register a channel maybe? :o

Overall, if the topic was over discussed, I wonder why :classic: anyone didn't do anything against a bug (like it can be called of course, with not much thinking) and getting a solution to that?

Post subject: Re: Reply
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:44 am 

Silvereds wrote:
Why would you want someone on 200+ do a mass kick, when someone on 75 or more, can do a massban.

This is why.

well you mentioned about mass-kick command and i simply said what's the level required for such command, but since you pointed out Why someone would use such a command, i will tell you right now why. Think about it, there are dozens of clones joining the channel matching with the same identd, what would you do? Would you waste your time on banning them or kicking them one by one or even worse mass-banning the entire channel? Or would you rather kick them all as they have the same identd? i can assure you is even more likely rather than using mass-ban in such a case.

Silvereds wrote:
Let's get it straight right here. You know channels like #nastrand, #vh and so on, got masskicks, now go and blame the managers, for that someone getting his username stollen, or hacked, or just someone (good friend of the friend, of the friend) getting logged in that username, and doing that to channels.

I personally never heard about the channels you mentioned above to be mass-kicked or even worse mass-banned. anyway it may happen but then again how this would be prevented if let's saying mass-ban or mass-kick will be lifted to a higher level than 75 respective 200? like you said, 400? wouldn't be the same? It would.

Silvereds wrote:
Tell them they shouldn't have a register a channel maybe?

Maybe yes, maybe no for the simple fact that a username can get hacked (compromised) , by mistakes of the owner of the username. It can't be hacked just like that.

Silvereds wrote:
Overall, if the topic was over discussed, I wonder why anyone didn't do anything against a bug (like it can be called of course, with not much thinking) and getting a solution to that?

What bug? this is not a bug. if the command would be probably bugged, it would've been fixed but since it's not, there's no need to be looked into it.

Post subject: Re: Reply
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:56 pm 

Spidel wrote:
...Why someone would use such a command, i will tell you right now why. Think about it, there are dozens of clones joining the channel matching with the same identd, what would you do? Would you waste your time on banning them or kicking them one by one or even worse mass-banning the entire channel? Or would you rather kick them all as they have the same identd? i can assure you is even more likely rather than using mass-ban in such a case.

Why should we used /msg X kick #chan *!same_ident@* that won't prevent matching users from rejoining after being kicked rather than /msg X ban #chan *!same_ident@* ... that will get rid of the buggers and occupy only one slot in the banlist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:02 pm 

and if the X's banlist is full? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:56 pm 

Well I would have a recommendation:

The *!*@* banmask cannot be denied, because it's not a command, it's a pattern it could easly be worked around like using ?*!?*@?* mask, which is different but has the same effect.
One solution would be, that when someone does a /msg x ban command, if the banmask matches more then one person, it should only set the mode, but not kick the persons matching the mask, and eventually sending a list of matched nicks to the person issuing the command. But when someone would like to join the channel and if he matches that ban, he/she should be kicked. This way /msg x ban #channel *!*@* would not clear the whole channel. Now you say what if the drones are already on the channel ... Well there is the /msg x kick command, on level 200 you can add hostmask, so while the ban is set you can kick the persons matching the pattern. It would act like a sort of "Are you sure you want to kick the persons matching the host?" thing. If this solution would be implemented then of course the kick command with masks should be moved to a larger level for safety.

Sancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:11 pm 

Hello folks,
+1

This subject is totally related to prevent such things being occurred.
So do you want to know, Why LEVEL 75+ and 200- (Channel Operators) are NOT able to set masskick on the bots\clone\drones when they floods a channel by mass-joins
but LEVEL 75+ (Channel Trial Operators) are able to set massban on a channel for this issue or no reason. why is this difference between 75+ and 200- channel Ops?

A massban issue would be more important thing for a registered channel instead of masskick so why 75+200- ops are not able to perform the masskick command but able to use massban?

And no I do NOT ask how to use these commands and will prevent what? there's a command already exist to prevent your channel from being flooded by join\part floods it's floating limits features. If you set the channel limit with +3 or +2 for 20 seconds or a minute. then what do people needs to use masskick for? if you claim that command exists to prevent these stuff?

Or let the only LEVEL 400+ (Userlist Admins) be able to use both command when needed. apparently the both commands do NOT using usually for bots\drone attacks but using generaly for takeover.
And not only this, sometimes people set it by mistake or not by a mistake but speeks for themselves to make you believe it was a mistake occurred when I was about to set low-level-ban on the all people to make them being deopped or something like that etc etc.

When both of the commands have been performed on a channel then will lead a fight or argue between channel regulars\administrate. even threating the help channels more than chat channels.and I dont think so the both command so useful to prevent the massjoins of drone\bots on a help channel or a chat channel as everyone knows how to set floating limits or learns by asked.

(If I am wrong then go ahead to disprove me, but please do NOT reply! just because to show yourself that you're here)

Best regards,RevivaL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:20 pm 

The problem is the difference between the two commands!

/msg x kick can be used by two ways:
1. /msg x kick #channel nick 200- command
2. /msg x kick #channel *!mask 200+ command

/msg x ban command can be used only in one way:
1. /msg x ban #channel *!mask

The difference consist in: a kick is used to remove a user from a channel, a ban is used to deny a mask from a channel. As you can use the basic commands: /kick and /mode . A kick takes nicknames, a ban takes pattern (mask), there is no such thing as Massban command. Only pattern exists. So at a ban you can only block a pattern, on the other hand there are unlimited number of patterns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:35 pm 

Do you think, I really wanted to know that?
Re-read mate, there's something wrong and must be corrected,
The both command's required levels must be changed then would be more useful for the people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:53 pm 

With all do respect guys but we honestly debate this subject way too much, the thread been opened for a simple matter which was and still is the changing level of mass-ban/kick and now we started to talk about drones and such. that's stupid. my humble oppinion.

P.S : Mainly, the issue are the people. They need to change otherwise levels for both commands would've been fine for us and this thread wouldn't exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:12 pm 

poff..
so go ahead to pioneer them by open a topic like ''how can we improve people'' but I feel the results like a big ZERO! like your points.
I didn't found any valid reason or answer or logical a thing related the topic from your replies except trying to be a oppositional, but why or what for? causatively can we discuss it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:23 am 

Revival wrote:
poff..
so go ahead to pioneer them by open a topic like ''how can we improve people'' but I feel the results like a big ZERO! like your points.
I didn't found any valid reason or answer or logical a thing related the topic from your replies except trying to be a oppositional, but why or what for? causatively can we discuss it?

well well, hello sir Revival (the all knowing guy) i'll begin by saying this :
Have i ever discussed or i did any comments about your replies you give on the threads you answer? :classic: No i did not and i don't need your phreaking arrogance whatsoever. What do you have against my posts? if you don't like them just ignore them and i don't think this is the right place where you can actually "argue" and i frankly don't like to argue with somebody, never liked, just because the conversation will not have an ending point and it will be an endless conversation but then again this is not the case, my point is that you should mind seeing your own business and stop judging the people they post in here as you're NOTHING in this world, like i am, you don't have the right to judge people but you do have the right to remain silence, it would be better you to do that rather than talking non-sense, like you did above. i'm not hello off at all, just annoyed because you always have something to comment about and you showing me attitude, but remember that we're in a common channel and it happened for several times, you always had the last word to the things which been said there. Just don't make things worse than they are right now. I'm not threating you as it's not my type to threat a person, i was just saying that you should stop judging people around like you're some sorta of all knowing guy and you know everything and on the other hand i do not like your attitude, you have to change it. Next time please ignore everything that i post, alright? whether you like it or not, just ignore me and stop to do comments about other people posts or about my posts, because it's offending as they never did that to you. Thank you.

P.S : sorry for being off-topic.

Post subject: AUP
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:30 am 
Forum Super Moderator

Perhaps now is a good time to remind everyone of our Forum's AUP, located at: http://www.undernet.org/forumaup.php

Please make special note of #3. Rudeness, insults, profanity, vulgar language, personal attacks, inflammatory posts, threats, harassment and impersonation will not be tolerated. Advertising, spamming and trolling are not allowed. Be polite, respect the other members and their right to a different opinion from yours. Attack the subject with arguments, not the person with insults. If someone is bothering you, the first rule is to not answer back; just add the person to your ignore list.

Let's show that we are mature enough to have discussions without insulting the poster, and be open to other's rights to post their opinions.

Eenie ;-)

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next