It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 1:59 pm 

Another thing i d like to discuss, is about channel reg. procedure... I think the cservice reg. team shouldn't be so strict and let things move easily... I think the reg. team should act like this:

When the supporters ACCEPT the channel to be sent for registration, then it shouldn't take too long to be regd (12-13 days) and also cs must disable that rejection reason: "Reg. Machine didn't count so much activity from the supporters". Because, a supporter might be out for holiday... he gave his/her support to the chan, so what for to join if he can't. Also, If the supporters don't join the chan when regd and noone does, what's the reason for the manager to remain the channel open. That's why there is related purge reason on cservice Forms: No much activity/traffic in my channel so i want to be purged.

Kindly, stef

Post subject: hey Stefano
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:48 am 

I don't think they take the registration period that long for no reason.

i.e.
What would you do if you owned a channel and someone else is trying to register it ? If the period should be less longer you couldn't be able to post an objection if you haven't seen the registration application. So to prevent this they have implented static time periods. 3 days till the application will be rejected if the supporters hasn't supportered, 3 days pending - traffic check (here they'll see if the channel realy needs X, if there are only 3 persons in a channel i don't think they would X for that), 3 days pending - notification (here they'll inform the users in the channel that the channel has a pending application), and the last Ready for review, this takes 2-3 days. So I think the period is short enough.

Greetz

Name: Davy S.
Nickname: []DARK[]
Username: DARKm
E-mail: dark@undernet.org
Position: CService Official Administrator
Organisation: Undernet Channel Service Committee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 10:06 am 

dark wrote: "3 days pending - traffic check (here they'll see if the channel realy needs X, if there are only 3 persons in a channel i don't think they would X for that)"

-> Well, that's one of my points... A reason of rejection is: no much activity... Well, if the re. machine or any senior from cs checks the channel, even if there is no traffic it shouldn't be so serious reason for rejecting the channel (for the reason i have stated to my previous post. If once X joins the channel, and noone joins it... there is no reason for the manager to keep the channel open...

Got my point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 2:45 am 

Stefano wrote:
dark wrote: "3 days pending - traffic check (here they'll see if the channel realy needs X, if there are only 3 persons in a channel i don't think they would X for that)"

-> Well, that's one of my points... A reason of rejection is: no much activity... Well, if the re. machine or any senior from cs checks the channel, even if there is no traffic it shouldn't be so serious reason for rejecting the channel (for the reason i have stated to my previous post. If once X joins the channel, and noone joins it... there is no reason for the manager to keep the channel open...

Got my point?

Tell that to channel managers. X is ment for channels that have problems maintaining themselves. That's the thing most of the applicants don't understand. Check most of the applications and you will probably find out that the manager simply wants to be a Channel Manager. To have that so worthy 500. Registering channels that easily would implicate lots of waste. And what for? Just to make a user happy and give him 500 in a channel that doesn't need it? Have you ever considered that Undernet, as a whole, is made up of resources of different kinds which implicate voluntariate? A common sence rule states that You should not play around with a thing you have been asked to maintain.

We should better focus on making our guests understand that X is not a toy. Make sure they actually understand the Acceptable User Policy (AUP) which they agree upon filling in the Channel Reg. Application.

Cheers!

jasee
http://forum.undernet.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

A very simple channel registration procedure will allow tons of users to register useless channels - or some users will probably apply for a channel registration only to be a channel manager (have 500 points of access on the channel userlist) and no channel activity etc. etc. This is why CService introduced this *complex* channel registration procedure (which ussualy takes 8-12 days) - most of the registered channels have constant activity etc. ==> X *deserves* to be in the channel. But I have to admit that there are some channel where most of the time only X is present and sometimes the channel manager+ other 2-3 users (mostly channel admins etc.) . Yes , many of us consider this registration procedure a bit hard but I thing is is the only way to prevent abusive channel registrations.

*Just imagine what would it be if (for e.g.) a command like : /msg x register #channel username pass will be availabe for all the Undernet registered users.

Best wishes ,
`Dj

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2