It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anal-retentive ops
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:30 pm 

We really need to work on removing some of these anal-retentive ops and assistant ops in MANY of the Undernet channels. Too much power for some of the ones who can't either control their anger with people in general or their megalomania in particular. Seriously, if you don't like people DON'T ask to become or accept becoming an op. Get offline, get out in the world and find something you can do that doesn't require having to be nice to people, please, but don't takeyour hatred of humanity out on us whom are looking for a little fun and diversion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:29 am 

If you don't like the way an op is running their channel, find a new channel. It's their channel, they can run it however they feel.

Post subject: Case in point.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:28 am 

WEll there you have it folks....a VERY good illustration of the anal attitude of many of the ops and assistant ops on Undernet...PLEASE GOD....FIX DALNET!!!!!
Perhaps you should lighten up before you have a heart attack...oh wait, you need a HEART before you can have one crap out on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:34 am 

well, Undernet is OPEN for everyone.. since DALnet is down..
we didnt and we dont reject anyone from dalnet...
Our channels operators aint perfect neither GODs! They are human beings and ofcourse they will do some mistakes. Also their attitude might not be the same every day... they might be in a bad mood and so talk bad to a user. I know this is not good, but however, thats life, thats how IRC working... I dont think in DALnet A L L independently the chan operators are PERFECT!

Cheers and enjoy your stay in Undernet

P.S We are not responcible for anything happens to DALnet and so we CANNOT do anything to fix/repair the network.

Best Regards, stef ( fets @ Undernet )

Post subject: I'm not saying...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:10 pm 

..that Dalnet has perfect ops....goodness knows they don't. But they DO seem to be less likely to be so tightly-wrapped that they won't let anyone chat in their channel, as I've seen within the last three days on a particular UNDERNET channel. The assistant op is so controlling that if someone posts a message like this "hi, i'm male and looking for females to chat about whatever" the op warns them in channel that they need to keep it to a minimum of ten minutes between postings or keep it out of the channel window. Then the op will many times immediately kick the person out of the channel. Now, either this op is a control freak or the op has the automatic response part of the channel set a little too sensitively. But this op also jumped down the throat of someone who simply asked how the op was doing. This op in particular needs to be removed and permanently barred from opping anywhere. That won't happen of course. But it needs to be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:17 pm 

Erm... a channel is OWNED when it is really OWNED. Translation: the manager can manage the channel however he/she pleases. That's what makes him/her the maneger.
So, as long as in the channel there are not going on illegal actions it's o.k. And as far as I know being rude or being not compattible in behavior with all the users that came in a channel is NOT A CRIME.
Take it this way:a channel is the manager's house. You are his guest... that's if he/she wants you as a ghuest.
Sad but true.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GCM d-- s+:- a- C++ UL P+ L++ E W++ N+ o-- K- w
O- M V PS+++ PE Y+ PGP t 5 X+ R tv-- b++ DI++ D+
G e++ h r- y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Post subject: Do huh?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:57 pm 

I'm not quite sure how to respond to that last one. Maybe if it made sense. Sure I agree with the concept and idea that someone who creates a channel then has authority and responsibility over that channel, but gee whiz--don't create a channel specifically dedicated to a particular interest--for instance, Jeep vehicles--and then keep everyone from talking in the channel ABOUT jeep vehicles! This is what I'm talking about--create a channel, then let the people TALK in the channel about the subject. If someone gets out of line then sure, kick/ban them. But I believe a statement that came from the very first Spiderman comic book--"With great power comes great responsibility". That's so true. You start a channel, you have the ultimate authority over that channel to see that it runs smoothly, legally and even morally, if that's your decision. But you further have a responsibility to see that those who visit your channel have the ability to chat freely within the set guidelines. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Post subject: well...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:33 pm 

Who says that if I create a channel named #family I have the OBBLIGATION to listen to all family problems that users who enter in MY channel are having?
If I create a channel named #Jeep just because I do have a Jeep in MY garrage it doesn't mean that I have the OBBLIGATION to allow in MY channel all those who own a Jeep too.
I am not OBBLIGATED to do ANYTHING in MY channel.
I do what I feel to do in MY OWN channel (with the 'little' exception regarding the illegal activitiess).
Besides the users do can create their own channels (ex. #JeepLovers or #JeepOwners or #Jeep.Fans or #Jeep.Whatever.The.Heaven's.Sake.You.Like) in which they can discus their beloved topic. Don't they?

Erm... did I get myself clear this time?
8)

G e++ h r- y+

Post subject: I don't think you quite understand...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:28 pm 

What I'm saying is that the ops have control over their channels....GRANTED. But when you create a channel regarding a certain subject, then LET THE USERS talk about that subject within the guidelines that you as an op have set. Don't let them talk politics in a cat-raising channel....don't let them talk sex in a children's book channel...but if you do create a channel that is sexual in nature then let them talk about it. And don't be so anal as to keep ANYONE from saying things like "Hi" in that channel. And by the way: obligated is spelled with just ONE b....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:10 pm 

geeez!
One can't make a mistake around here.
Ok. Let me take back three (3) capital b...
/me is taking back 3 B characters
/me sets mode 'last post' -3B
:wink:

G e++ h r- y+

Post subject: Re: I don't think you quite understand...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:22 am 

rangoonmcg wrote:
And don't be so anal as to keep ANYONE from saying things like "Hi" in that channel. And by the way: obligated is spelled with just ONE b....

I'm not trying to nitpick here, but you're talking about Ops being anal retentive, and you go and point out that JeepC77, who's native language is most likely not english, made a spelling error.

You're making an issue of something that you yourself do. People are free to create their own chatroom on the Undernet, and they don't have to follow any set rules reguarding content (with the exception of rules set by the server, The Undernet, and local officials). If you don't like how someone is running a room, chances are, there's another room with the same subject matter elsewhere.

The Undernet already has a policy of not interfering with channel politics, and I don't see them changing that policy anytime soon. Dalnet opers probably have similar policies, and Efnet as well. You're getting too worked up over something you tried to use as a little diversion.

Post subject: Re: Do huh?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:56 am 

rangoonmcg wrote:
....Spiderman book--"With great power comes great responsibility". That's so true.

Indeed. As everyone's been saying previously, a channel is like a house and if you are the guest, you have to abide the rules of the host/hostess. Ops can do whatever they want to do in their channel, if you don't like it, leave and create your own channel, that way you can be the boss and you can do whatever you want. This is how it works in here and I believe it is how it works everywhere, whether you are at home, at school, at the mall or at work.

Post subject: Re: Anal-retentive ops
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:02 am 

rangoonmcg wrote:
We really need to work on removing some of these anal-retentive ops and assistant ops in MANY of the Undernet channels. Too much power for some of the ones who can't either control their anger with people in general or their megalomania in particular. Seriously, if you don't like people DON'T ask to become or accept becoming an op. Get offline, get out in the world and find something you can do that doesn't require having to be nice to people, please, but don't takeyour hatred of humanity out on us whom are looking for a little fun and diversion.

What a subject to start with!!!!
We really need to work on maintaining Undernet channel rules as far as this posting is concerned.
UCS gives the opportunity to anyone to create his/her own channel, and as we all agree, provided this channel is not for illegal use, this channel is the house of the founders of this channel and their rules must be followed by anyone including IRCops and CService ppl. And as we all agree if we don’t like a channel we just part and go and find one that suits us. And in remote cases create our own channel so that we apply our own perfect rules. Why bother so much then. Leave channel owners do their thing and u do yours.
Regards to all:))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:36 pm 

Right !
I agree with you...everyone has to respect the channel rules...
If they don't like them...then they can /part
Good Luck ! 8)

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]