It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Folding@Home
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:56 pm 

Hey. I'm not sure if you all have heard about the effort by Stanford University and others to implement a widespread distributed computing project not unlike a previous effort by SETI (SETI@Home client).

This project, however, has much more immediate and relative results. Scientists are trying to discover the nature of protein folding (??) which apparently requires absurd amounts of computational power. I'm no molecular biologist, so if you want to see the details their web page is http://folding.stanford.edu/ (I think).. Studies like this can lead to a better understanding of diseases like Alzheimers, Parkinsons, etc.

The Folding@Home client (runs on mac os X, linux, windows) is extremely low-priority and can run as a system service, completely transparent. I'm not asking you to run it on the undernet servers or anything, but maybe throw in a word about it on some of the MOTD's? They already completely mapped the folding sequence of a bunch of proteins (they have movies available at their web site) and bla. I'm done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:41 am 

are you still alive? if you are. what's your point? i didn't quite get it. hehehe. pardon me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]