It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Nick registration.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:46 am 

Its not that i dont know about nick registration is not really a habit of undernet since the beginning of time.. but, I might suggest a username to be also registered, like if i registered by username as X then I can be the only one to use Nick X also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:47 am 

No. We've been through this discussion before.

"Against stupidity Gods themselves contend in vain"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:51 am 
Well it's a good idea regarding nick registration, but then what will happen if so many nicks were registered in Undernet? And then people don't use the nicks anymore? See...that could be one problem...But then I have a suggestion, why don't we have a nick registration thing in Undernet, but then there is a catch, you have to use the nick every 15 days in order to keep it. Ain't that a good idea? Hhmm..then again, bots can logged in tothe registered nicks...so the 15 day thing nothing now. Then again! Why don't Cservice also use the "Please type what you see in the box" thing in nick logins...this way we can stop automated logins since bots don't have eyes to see. But hmm...they can make a script...OMH, I'm running out of ideas. LOL. But then, without nick registration, people rely on bots to keep there nicks; also used are psybnc's and bncs. And that causes so many dead connections. Undernet should kill IDLE USERS! Maybe for idling for 10 hours would get you killed in a server. How about that? That way, dead conenctions can be somewhat prevented...what do you think guys?

Post subject: Re: Nick registration.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:13 pm 

LinsoN wrote:
Its not that i dont know about nick registration is not really a habit of undernet since the beginning of time.. but, I might suggest a username to be also registered, like if i registered by username as X then I can be the only one to use Nick X also.

Then what's the difference between nick registration and username registration? I'll answer: 'NONE'. It doesn't change the topic 'We want nick registrations on Undernet'. It just changes it in some nicer (live couloured) words. :confused:

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GCM d-- s+:- a- C++ UL P+ L++ E W++ N+ o-- K- w
O- M V PS+++ PE Y+ PGP t 5 X+ R tv-- b++ DI++ D+
G e++ h r- y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:23 pm 

Just an opinion of a user, but I've been on the Undernet for something like 9 years now. There have been times when someone has taken my nick, and I just set a timer to reclaim it when they leave. For the last couple of months, I have had to use an alternate nickname because a bot has claimed my nick.

I know, I know, quit whining. I attempted to contact the owner of the bot, and got no response. I joined the channel the bot was on to see what purpose the bot serves, and was promptly banned. Now the bot is just idling in a channel, and I am hesitant to join that channel as well, as I don't want to be banned there as well.

I don't know what discussions went into nickname registration before, but as a longtime user, I like the idea of being able to register a nick, and logging on at least every once in a while to keep that nick.

Thanks for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:47 pm 

If you want nickserv, move to dalnet... Just my 2 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:13 pm 

OUTsider wrote:
If you want nickserv, move to dalnet... Just my 2 cents

Thanks. That's awfully helpful.

Perhaps you could explain to me, a simple user, why the complete and total resistance to nickname registration exists.

As I said before, I have been using the Undernet (not DALnet) for a very long time. It just amuses me that there is now the ability to use 12 characters to create a nickname, which, in my opinion, is fairly cosmetic. I'm sure is like at least *ONE* other network, if the Undernet is concerned about being like other networks.

Perhaps in the future, instead of giving someone your opinion, especially one as unhelpful as yours, you could make the choice not to post anything at all.

But that's just MY opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:05 pm 

P4rD0nM3 wrote:
Well it's a good idea regarding nick registration, but then what will happen if so many nicks were registered in Undernet? And then people don't use the nicks anymore? See...that could be one problem...But then I have a suggestion, why don't we have a nick registration thing in Undernet, but then there is a catch, you have to use the nick every 15 days in order to keep it. Ain't that a good idea? Hhmm..then again, bots can logged in tothe registered nicks...so the 15 day thing nothing now. Then again! Why don't Cservice also use the "Please type what you see in the box" thing in nick logins...this way we can stop automated logins since bots don't have eyes to see. But hmm...they can make a script...OMH, I'm running out of ideas. LOL. But then, without nick registration, people rely on bots to keep there nicks; also used are psybnc's and bncs. And that causes so many dead connections. Undernet should kill IDLE USERS! Maybe for idling for 10 hours would get you killed in a server. How about that? That way, dead conenctions can be somewhat prevented...what do you think guys?

the idea is really good about type what u see in the box thing.
but i'd make the time before next login shorter something like 10 days cause i think users that aint active much don't need to register nicks anyway cause they spend maybe 2 hours a month like on undernet with a nick that better can be used by someone who already had it before and uses it everyday.

see my point ? :)
ah well for the rest i love the idea ... i think it would be good if undernet did something like that i'm on undernet for 2 and a half year now and i can't really say that the no-nick registration thing has botherd me all to much but it would be nice :)

Would save alot of power too i have my com logged on undernet 24/7 :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:40 pm 

koola wrote:
the idea is really good about type what u see in the box thing.
but i'd make the time before next login shorter something like 10 days cause i think users that aint active much don't need to register nicks anyway cause they spend maybe 2 hours a month like on undernet with a nick that better can be used by someone who already had it before and uses it everyday.

see my point ? :)
ah well for the rest i love the idea ... i think it would be good if undernet did something like that i'm on undernet for 2 and a half year now and i can't really say that the no-nick registration thing has botherd me all to much but it would be nice :)

Would save alot of power too i have my com logged on undernet 24/7 :P

Thanks for your input. Definately a lot more insightful than OUTsiders post.

One thing I was thinking about is perhaps there's a better way to register a nick than just using NickServ. While NS would be necessary to enforce allowing a registerd user to use thier regged nick, maybe one could register the nick here on undernet.org.

I think that would be a great way for serious users to at least know about this website. As I said before, I have been on the Undernet a long time, and this is the first time I've been to this site (mainly 'cause I never needed to before *lol*). I would think it would be fairly easy to have some sort of registration subtopic on one of the boards, or a link on the frontpage to handle that. Hell, someone decent at coding could program the interface to link with NickServ on the Undernet, so that would be the only way they *COULD* register. Perhaps that could be tied to private messaging, so if you've got a registered nick, you can turn on or off unwanted private messages, which would limit spam.

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud. I'm not aware of even what IRCD the Undernet uses, much less what the capabilities and limits of it are.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is if you're having a nick war like I am, it's practically impossible to stay connected 24/7. Eventually you're going to get disconnected, caught in a netsplit, have to reboot your computer, etc. And once you come back, your nickname is already in use. I once had to restart mIRC, which took a total of maybe 30 seconds, and when I returned, my nick was used by someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:33 pm 

Kojak wrote:
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is if you're having a nick war like I am, it's practically impossible to stay connected 24/7. Eventually you're going to get disconnected, caught in a netsplit, have to reboot your computer, etc. And once you come back, your nickname is already in use. I once had to restart mIRC, which took a total of maybe 30 seconds, and when I returned, my nick was used by someone else.

thnx for calling my post usefull :)
never had someone say that to me before *bursts out in tears* hehehe.
well the nickwar thing i have a solution for that i use myself ... whenever my nick goes offline my bot immediatly takes my nick and i can retake it when sending some sort of password to my bot (not everyone has bots i know but that's the most usefull solution i use myself :)

but it would sure be great to get ur nick registerd that way it's also save from being taken :)
i hope the coders of undernet take notice of this post and maybe in the future turn our idea's into reality :)
for now i can only keep dreaming =)

Greets: Koola

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:50 am 

OUTsider, you always read my mind. Nick registration? Hell, no. Indeed, move to Dalnet. That would really suck. Undernet is free. Anyway, the longer nickname feature made me sick enough, I do not also want to be restricted on using nicknames. So, NO, say NO to nick registration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:34 am 

I think there will be NO NICK REGISTRATION here on Undernet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thank god and the undernet coders for that!

8 years on this forum and i'm still the #1 poster around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:43 am 

Ummm I really didn't want to start a new Topic .....so I will just ask my question here... why doesn't undernet allow nicknames to start with numbers? :confused:

I don't know if I'm repeating this , I hope not :)

Best of Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:04 pm 

I think it's the same with all the other networks i get the "Erroneous Nickname" error

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next