It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: X protecting Channels
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:24 am 

First Hello , i have an idea i like to tell it.
Some channels don't have scripts to protect thier channel, or channel have no avialable op to protect in case of flood spamming. ...
so why don't admins configure X and load on him remotes that may protectes channels from flood inviting - bad words - badnicknames...
please admins take this subject in serious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:27 am 
Senior Cservice Admin

Because X can't process that amount of traffic, X is usermoded +d (deaf to channel text), which as well as stopping X from seeing the channel text also stops X's server from receiving it (since X is the only bot on that server, and technicially X is it's own server this is a good thing).

X is already processing something like 100+ commands a second X having to monitor channel text would increase it's load 100 times (remember there are 40,000 channels on the network, X may only be on 20,000 of those, but remember, X is it's own server).

It's a nice idea, but Undernet is too big for a single service to handle the idea, smaller eggdrop and the like bots is a better way to go.

Last edited by xplora on Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:49 pm 

As xplora said, having X to protect channels eats up a large amount of resources. But you can still use X as it is now to protect against bad nicks. Just set a ban on *bad-nick-here*!*@* and this should do the job.

Best regards,
Crosswing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:17 pm 

How do I set an avatar on this board? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:50 pm 

On your profile username, click on it and than scroll down and below Avatar control menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:10 pm 

Good idea hah i wish this could be possible on X or undernet. Would be hella good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

X wasn't always deaf, it had some channel protection. It was disabled because of the amount of traffic, so that's it. Every decent channel has ops that are 24/7 online, that's what channel ops are for, to operate the channel. In order to get the job done easily some managers are using bots. So.. consider that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:49 am 

Mitko i need to add something, brother u know how to write a script or configure an Egg, but some do no know , they just know how to chat and enjoy their time on undernet.

To xplora
Now their C is for CHANFIX , u can do W for channel protection, and not necsery to be in all registered channel , just for channels that they do really need it, cause as am seeing these days , channels are being flooded for half an hour and 1 hour sometime , and no one can stop them because their is no avialable Op, they are stop only when they get dc.
Plus only channel Founder can configure it.
Some users are afriad to download a script from a site , cause some scripts are full with trajons...and writing a script not easy.

Please Admins/opers/coders... think for it well

Thanks alot for yr reply guys :D
-----
Undernet username: LebUnet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:41 pm 

I strongly agree with Sunger's proposition. It's decent to have an option for senior admins to allow W in desperate help wanted channels. I can see myself various channels which are in need of just exactly this feature. A network service which is coded to take care of flooders and such channel problematic issues. Hopefully you guys will implement something of this type.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:11 am 
Forum Moderator

It won't be implement, trust me. Instead of waiting others to implement something, channel owners should take care of their own channels. If they can't do that, then they should give the channel to another decent person. Cservice is already giving you enough features to manage your channel, it's on your own to protect it and moderate it.

Sunger wrote:
Mitko i need to add something, brother u know how to write a script or configure an Egg, but some do no know , they just know how to chat and enjoy their time on undernet.

Excuse me ? If they know how to chat only, why in the world would they open a channel that's even going to become some big channel, and even a target ?

Best Regards,
Mit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:22 am 

Mitko bor they open channel to have fun , and meet freinds and family chat,not to make a boss and start kicking in ppl and warning them.
Bro already X have massdeop and other stuff.
Why u don;t add like mass join to avoind flooding,just try that.
Mitko also maybe a channel doesn;t have any available op to protect and somebody flood, so what the solution wil be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:42 pm 

Sunger wrote:
Mitko bor they open channel to have fun , and meet freinds and family chat, ...

If you're getting that specific, set a "key" to your channel, give it to your friends and family; end of the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:19 pm 

we can use AI system. that we use to chat in IRC we can program them to be ops, give them permission to all monitoring channels. they'll listen and learn. :D they will do the job i thick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:09 am 

as xplora noted, undernet is to big so X plays the role of channel service and eggdrop.

Anti flood:
i am wondering something. well some of you might have been on other networks. very few, use srvx as services. on my network for instance OS joins the channel and +rm if that channel is flooded or has massjoin etc

srvx is also used on a network that is ranked 9th on searchirc with 31,164 chans and 26,085 users which is not bad at all. i wonder if such service is available over there (but i think yes because they coded srvx). if it works fine, then maybe similar option could work on undernet. of course im not suggesting to get operserv to do so. but X already +l maybe he could one day+rm too. no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:21 am 
Forum Moderator

Well, that's a good point, X does see joins so an option that would set defined modes on mass join (which would be a defined value too - number of joins per xx seconds) is not a big deal like filtering messages.

Best Regards,
Mit

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]