It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Topic Length
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:06 am 

This is the one thing which if modified can be quite helpful. The topic length is what lets the person explain what the channel is about or explain the topic briefly so people know what to expect from the channel and know what the rules are and stuff. I guess you can do this right now as well, but it's a lot easier and better comprehended when there are more words in the topic. So that's all i have to say, and would love to see the topic length increase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:33 am 
Cservice Official

Another cool thing regarding the topic, that I've seen in other places (can't exactly remember where) is the part where it says WHO set it.

We now have only the nickname, as in topic set by Etherfast.
So, if vigilante for example will use my nickname when I'm offline, could set a fake topic in a channel.

It would be nice if that could be modified to "set by user@host"
Example: set by Etherfast!elo@Etherfast.users.undernet.org.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:40 pm 

OH yeah! Like freenode, Efnet? They all have it! I mean a lot of other big networks i think use this. So why not undernet? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:22 am 

I completely agree, topic limit must be changed. And there is another problem: the topic is lost most of the times during netmerges. On EFnet I have set a topic in April and it's still there. Why can't this happen in Undernet as well? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:04 pm 
Senior Cservice Admin

is that on the same efnet server, or all of them?

that aside, Undernet doesn't sync the topic during a netjoin, due to "too much traffic" and since this topic wonts to increase the length of the same topic, you might want to put topic sync'ing in another subject as for undernet and its coders, the 2 subjects are opposing subjects :(

again, that aside, I like both ideas, I would even like to see something similar thing to a topic, an auto-greet message that could be sent by the server on-join, therefore reduce the need for all those bots out their doing it (they could instead periodically reset the on-join message)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:20 pm 

I've tried a couple of random EFnet servers and I saw the topic from all, so I guess it's viewable on all servers. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:28 pm 

I agree with the 2 suggestions. Increasing the length of the topic is not so hard...but...all the servers should update to that value and secondly, X also need some changes in the source code.
The second suggestion..hmm...if i'm not wrong there was a beta version of ircu witch was able to burst topic on split...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]