It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ban Restrictions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:37 am 

I think it would be better if the bans were restricted according to access. For example a 100 accessed user shouldn't be able to ban anyone with more than 100 access, even if they used the /msg x ban #channel *!*@* which is a common problem found in many channels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:02 am 

Ops should use the commands responsibly. In the event that, accidentally or not, an op with higher access gets banned, that op can remove the ban (because his/her access is higher than the maximum ban level set by the other op).

The ops who ban *!*@* don't deserve the responsibility of having access in the first place. So the problem is not that the ban command should be filtered, but that some people shouldn't be given access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:08 am 

Everything comes down to whom you add to your access list. Responsable managers can evade any such problems if he actually *knows* who he's giving access to.
If the other no-brained goof ball managers give out access' like fresh cookies, then along with that, they assumed the responsability, and the possibility of a mass ban, or other chaos that someone added to his chan can create.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:43 pm 

Why so much extra coding, that will cause even mroe problems within the channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:45 pm 

As I can remember, there was little problem with banning since X appears on undernet.
What problems?
So, problems with the ban mask: *!*@*
Because we all know that this ban-mask means massban on the channel, and it's used by 'users' who are completly not responsible or who got in a channel just to make problems, their main idea - problem -
If you asked me before few years (3-4yrs), I would preffere any solution about disabling this ban-mask, even though if this ban-mask is globaly disabled, they can use for mass banning a channel ban-mask for exemple: *!*@*.* (or any letter instead of '.')
Means, the problem is again the same :) and the problem again will appear.
And really, why so much extra coding like vigilante said?
This ban-mask (*!*@*) or I will say massban mask is a reason to the channel managers to be much more carefully with adding access to users, and it's important coz like I'm seeing in last time, there are many new channels with managers who are exactly 11 yrs old even though they have registered username(noone can knows that you are exactly or over 13 years old), and they give access to EVERYONE just to get into their channels more people, and sometimes this banmask gives them to know that being a channel manager is one more reason to become more responsible, coz you have X for protecting your channel regulary, not for playing games.
I get far away from the FIRST POST in this subforum, but I wanted to explain a lil bit why this massban mask should emerge and shouldnt be removed, because it's a big reason to make the managers being more responsible.

According to the subject of ban restrictions.. proposed by XFixerX, I dont agree with him coz puterfixer & Wolfyx already explained everything, and I dont wanna write the same thing:).

Best regards,
kajce

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]