It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: start educating about the login/+x mode
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:56 pm 

Sorry if I'm double posting, but I don't really know if there's anyone that actually suggested this thing. You're always saying that it's not hard to login and +x, I agree but a lot of users think that is not necessary. I'd like to see you post that in every language known to man and to every intelligence level there is, and of course attach a reason with it :) Then they'd know why it is so important to separate them from bots.
Here's an idea, you let the user in, and you leave him there until he makes a username and logins and then connects to his channels. And I guess this would mean changing parts of the undernet servers. I know it's radical, yet it's effective.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:06 pm 
Cservice Official

A reminder could be sent along with the login command.
No one from CService will ever ask you for your password, bla bla ...
Protect yourself now by typing //mode $me +x.

The perfect fit, ah?
To make sure you're not double posting, use the Search function on the forum. But as far as I'm around, I haven't seen this suggestion.

Thanks, and hopefully it'll be implemented soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:22 pm 

well how about on connect (not on login) to msg/notice the user this:
Please make a username at http://cservice.undernet.org/live - This way we'll know you're real :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:01 am 
Cservice Official

Actually, most MOTD's reffer to official helpchannels, including CService, ZT and Usernames. I think the name is suggestive? U-S-E-R-N-A-M-E-S? =)

Anyway, those who really NEED a username know what to do, or they can find out easily. Newbies that are joining IRC for the sole purpose of joining a city channel and chat around, don't really need usernames, as they don't know how to handle them, and the risk of being hacked increases.

Just a suggestion, yes, it would be cool to suggest people to mode +x, but it's pointless imho to use an on connect notice to create a username. Modifying the MOTD's would be ok, but that takes a lot of people to contact =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:13 pm 
Senior Cservice Admin

You are implying that Undernet has a requirement that users should have a username to login into and they should use Undernets hidden host feature (+x), which is not the case.

As far as a username is concerned it is only required if you want to use some of Undernet's extra features, such as: the hidden host feature (+x), Channel access/registration (X).

Strangely enough some channels just dont want to use those features, and Undernet being the unmoderated medium that it is, is not going to force them to.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]