It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suggestion
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:09 pm 

Hello,

I'd like to post an idea about how to make undernet a much bigger userbase. As how I see it the bigger irc network the richer community. I see the undernet network and userbase mainly consist of people from europe and usa, but very few from asia. What about opening up for asia also? Such as for example china? I'm sure there would be alot users to pick up from there as long as it would be introduced to them. One way of doing it could for example be to use chinese peoples interest (or other people from asia) in learning english and by using irc could be one great way to practice. English is becoming a more and more popular subject to study there, and the interest for western culture is also growing. As for me, I remember chatting on irc was one tool that helped me learning english when I was younger.

The reason why I came to think of this is because I live and study in china and lately I started to log onto undernet(aswell as other irc servers) looking for someone I could practice chinese language with. Just to find there are extremely few people there using IRC. For me it seems like undernet has become smaller the last couple of years(I dont know if it's true?), this is just my cup of tea.

Dag

Post subject: Re: Suggestion
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:16 pm 
Forum Super Moderator

Dag wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to post an idea about how to make undernet a much bigger userbase. As how I see it the bigger irc network the richer community. I see the undernet network and userbase mainly consist of people from europe and usa, but very few from asia. What about opening up for asia also? Such as for example china? I'm sure there would be alot users to pick up from there as long as it would be introduced to them. One way of doing it could for example be to use chinese peoples interest (or other people from asia) in learning english and by using irc could be one great way to practice. English is becoming a more and more popular subject to study there, and the interest for western culture is also growing. As for me, I remember chatting on irc was one tool that helped me learning english when I was younger.

The reason why I came to think of this is because I live and study in china and lately I started to log onto undernet(aswell as other irc servers) looking for someone I could practice chinese language with. Just to find there are extremely few people there using IRC. For me it seems like undernet has become smaller the last couple of years(I dont know if it's true?), this is just my cup of tea.

Dag

Hi Dag.

Welcome to the forum.

I read your post with interest. I bolded one part. I would like to ask what you would suggest Undernet do to "open up for Asia also"?

I would also like to point out that I am the main person who rejects (deactivates) members' accounts here on this forum. 99.99%-100% of the members who join here from China spam either in their signatures or their first attempt at a post. Their entire reason for being here is to spam. That has been my experience, and I wanted to share that with you.

I have absolutely no problem with a legitimate user from China joining this forum or Undernet, as long as they play by the accepted rules. And AFAIK, there is nothing keeping them from joining either place that we have any control over. AFAICS, the People's Republic of China's Internet censorship campaign may be playing a major role in why we do not have many (if any) Undernet users from China. I just ran a check on /who *.cn and came up with two users, but they were not from China. They were using a shell virtual host. You may have some inside knowledge about China's censorship of Internet usage though, and it would be interesting if you would share that.

On your other point, there are several good English help channels on Undernet. In fact, I created one over four years ago (I won't spam the name of it here) in which I sit every day and have helped many, many Undernet users. I have found IRC a wonderful avenue for helping people from all over the globe in many subjects.

So, I leave, wondering just exactly what you are asking Undernet to do. I hope you clarify and answer specifically.

~Eenie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:48 pm 

Hi

Sorry, "opening up to asia" was a bit vague written. I was in general thinking about the question about promoting IRC, as it seems like very few people knows about it in general. That can be done in several ways. But of course if it's doable depends on the interest and the effort people want to put in it.

Anyway, I also think lots of irc networks have a poor integration between different clients/font/encodings when people write chinese characters to eachother on irc. Maybe that's also one of the reasons why there are few people?

China is not blocking irc in any way as far as I know (I have no problem connecting).

Dag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:12 pm 
Forum Super Moderator

Dag wrote:
Hi

Sorry, "opening up to asia" was a bit vague written. I was in general thinking about the question about promoting IRC, as it seems like very few people knows about it in general. That can be done in several ways. But of course if it's doable depends on the interest and the effort people want to put in it.

What ways?

Dag wrote:
Anyway, I also think lots of irc networks have a poor integration between different clients/font/encodings when people write chinese characters to eachother on irc. Maybe that's also one of the reasons why there are few people?

I fail to see what Undernet has to do with this.

Dag wrote:
China is not blocking irc in any way as far as I know (I have no problem connecting).

Thanks for that info.

I still see no suggestions you have brought to the table as to what you'd like to see Undernet do.

~Eenie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:06 am 

Hey again,

I'm trying to post this again since the last time I posted this last week it didn't get through of some reason.

Quote:
What ways?

I already gave you one suggestion in my first post. By using their interest in learning English, you could for example create web-pages or blogs to tell people about it, interchanging links with popular English learning websites or other popular websites, writing articles, have someone dealing out flyers etc, etc. Lots of possibilities. Besides, doesn’t undernet have a pr-com that deals with things like this aswell? although I believe undernet should have a system that those people are able to use and that are well-arranged for them before thinking of promoting, like a minimum of being able to smoothly communicate in their own language, I can’t imagine this is something that can’t be improven in the ircd? Take for example, try putting a topic in a channel using characters, I find this very difficult(if not impossible?), and if you do use different encodings for example big5 and gb2312 it will not show correct when 2 people are writing to eachother. In that case, I don’t see how it wouldn’t be undernets issue? Anyway, I was just seeing opportunities, and I was just letting out a suggestion, If you don’t think it’s something undernet can do or think it’s a bad idea then I don’t care so much, otherwise, thumbs up :)

Dag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:00 am 

well china no ok well what about india

and adding to it Middle East
Lebanon
Jordan
Syria
Egypt
Israel
any many many others...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:08 pm 
Senior Cservice Admin

Dag I must point out, Undernet is an IRC network, not a website, not a forum. These forums, and any related webpages are just here to support the IRC network, also as far as character encoding goes, that is more of an irc client issue, not a server issue :(.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]