It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ircops: What they shouldn't do or what they should be doing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ehh.. pretty complicated right?

I have seened all kinds of Ircops... The kind that /kill u when u open a private window with them... and i have seen ircops who forget they have a o-line when talikg to u , it's like talking to a regular user...
I think that the role of ircops on undernet is missunderstood : the main role of ircops in to help users and to do networking stuff (avoid lag..etc) . Always on #help i have seen users who join and say "how can i find an ircop?". At the question : " Why do u need an ircop?" the classic : " I have lost op i n my unregistred/pending channel" . This is really getting old.. I have never ever seen a user who is asking where he can find an ircop, for general assistance. I thing that is wrong . Ircops should be rock-solid regardin Ppl Skills and should always be open in helping users. I have one more remark : There is only one regular ircop who joins and really gives a hand in #help. Why is that ? They always are hidding or are in reoping channels... That is not right.
I also know that beeing an ircop is really difficult. That is not a comment, it's a fact. But still, noone forced an ircop to accept his status...

I await ur comments regarding this topic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:44 pm 

Well for one .. they are what 97 IRCops on undernet and how many users?
its kinda hard for then to attend everyone.. they all help as much as they can.. and there are more help channels than #help itself... some do help some just say no.. or just ignore... mabye they get bored of helping.. i think if thats so then pass it one to somone that will help.... or add new people... anyways many userse to little cops... but the network on irc is running great... so really we cant complain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ceasium wrote:
some just say no.. or just ignore... mabye they get bored of helping..

Has i said before : The mai purpose of Ircops on Undernet is misunderstood. Ircops cannot get tired of helping ! It's their main role on the irc. They are not there to reop, they are there to help users! And the "ignoring" part. If he is ignoring users , then why is he an ircop in the first place? Yes , i know that there are many lammers who prvmsg ircops whit the famous : " how can i be an ircop? " question... but still that is no excuse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:38 pm 
IRCoperators, like any person using IRC is here for one reason: 'have fun'. Some people use IRC as a way to talk to their relatives from out of town, others when looking for help, others when offering help. Offering help is a large task and not available to just anyone. IRCoperators provide the kind of help they choose to. Some help with reops, some in coding channels, programming channels etc. Their role, as a user of IRC is to - as said previously - have fun. Their role, as IRCoperators is to make sure their servers do not encounter problems and keep things safe for it. They don't get paid and shouldn't be jolly, helpful and always answer any private messages if they want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

I asked for an honest oppinion... Not an official point of view.
Sure , Ircops are there to have fun ... as regular irc users. But has ircops they have certain duties. But do u agree that Ircops are made for Reoping? Or for helping ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:54 am 

Here is a site you should visit:
http://www.user-com.undernet.org//documents/operfaq.txt

2. What is an IRCop?

An IRCop (also called oper or irc op, and sometimes mistakenly called a Mirccop, IRCCOP, or just cop) is someone who has an O:line on one of Undernet's servers. This simply means that they have the ability to use some server commands that are restricted from ordinary users. IRCops also have the ability to use Undernet's services like Uworld, EUworld, and Uworld2 in attempts to keep Undernet together as a network. The primary responsibility of IRCops is to keep their servers connected to the Undernet.

3. What are they doing on IRC?

IRCops maintain the servers. That means that when a server is linked to Undernet, it needs to have at least one IRCop who takes care of it. Each IRCop represents one primary server (although they may have O:lines on more than one server, which are called backups) and should be concerned with keeping that one server connected and working well. Of course, IRCops are also on IRC to chat and have a good time just like everyone else.

6. What are the duties of IRCops?

The primary duty of an IRCop is to keep their server connected to Undernet. That means that after a netsplit, they try to figure out the best way to reconnect their server so the users will be least disrupted. Of course, they also try to prevent netsplits as best they can. Secondary duties are somewhat less important, and different IRCops have differing opinions of what those duties are. Generally, they may include: G:lining or /killing abusers (see G:line/K:line FAQ for details http://www.user-com.undernet.org/documents/k-gline.txt), hanging out in help channels, and using Uworld, Uworld2, or EUworld to resolve channel problems. An IRCop's responsibility is to maintain the servers and the network. All other duties performed by an IRCop is done because that IRCop wants to help users and has the spare time to do it.

"But do u agree that Ircops are made for Reoping? Or for helping ?" NO
I agree with kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:07 am 
YounGun wrote:
I asked for an honest oppinion... Not an official point of view.

No official point of view there, it was a personal and sincere opinion.

YounGun wrote:
But has ircops they have certain duties. But do u agree that Ircops are made for Reoping? Or for helping ?

Actually, their only duty is to administrate/keep up their server, connected to the network. Helping (namely providing modes) is strictly optional. BrightEye's FA-Q regarding IRCoperators kind of includes all of the previously said, just as JL` pointed out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes.. u are right..
I read the faq ... and it made me understand some things :)
anyway..Thnx for the oppinions :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:27 pm 
Delighted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:28 am 
#help member

haha, well the day we actually see a dedicated group of opers as you put it Youngun is the day hell freezes over.

your expectations of an oper will not be met at least until there is a change in definition or a clear mission statement set by the admins as to what their opers are expected to do.

these current helpful type opers are few and far between (say 20 at most), and the ones that parade to be helpful, are just vanity opers to say the least.

additonally, opers don't have to do squat for anyone to be blunt. what they provide with their network priviledges is for them to use at their discretion. and opers are just like anyone else on irc networks, who actually would like to not be bothered by "help requests" (that are literally in the thousands per hour mind you), and chat to mates, family or just idle, you can't be expecting an oper to jump at your command to fix your problem.

at the end of the day, they are volunteers, they do as they like when they like, within reason, and of their choice.

- wensu

Post subject: Re: Ircops: What they shouldn't do or what they should be do
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:13 am 

YounGun wrote:
I have seened all kinds of Ircops... The kind that /kill u when u open a private window with them... and i have seen ircops who forget they have a o-line when talikg to u , it's like talking to a regular user...

YounGun... I agree with You 101% about these kind of opers (IRC Operators), but there is must be reason why they are doing this. good or bad in Your point view. I`ll try in the next few lines to explain in my personally point of view why most of the opers are like that.

The next things I`ll not mention it to make Yourself feel embarrased, it is to share my ideeas about this tread.

1) Most of them, I reckon 70% are into knowledge, they don`t need those *ASL+PLS+JPG* things... They need as many informations as they can "get" (HERE: learn) because knowledge it`s the power everywhere so they want You to talk about that, not about those stupid questions "How can I become one like You" or "If You`re a server admin, I`ll do everything what I can to have at least o:line followed by an O:line" (most of You knows the difference between o:line and O:line)"

2) Some of them are into chat, real chat... like most of the Undernet users are like You said already and they really do forget about their O:line.

3) A few of them (rarely You see more than 5) are into muzik, or any other things related to muzik or games, I can say

4) A lot of them are into keeping the network up and busy at all time, again I reckon that most of the opers are into that, that includes reoping in channels, idle in some secret channels where the helpers are doing the whole job, they are only there to do the reop at the helper`s request. Thinking that maybe You`ll ask me which are those secret channels, I just have been told about it ... ... ... :D

These are the Undernet opers ((((: and also... Enjoy Undernet !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:53 pm 

Also, most opers are limited to the limitations as set/declared by there admin. This goes for modes for example.

You asked why they are hiding ? Well, would you like to be bothered by hundreds of people every hour coz they don't know how to irc, screw things up and want them to fix there issues every time over and over again ?

But yes, I also agree that there are ircoperators who came into that position using the favourite, let's have s*x for o:line method. Also certain opers have been chosen coz they helped a lot of people. But the problem is that once they got there o:line they became lazy as hell. I won't mention names/nicks, but those I know doing it this way also know I am relating to them.

Last edited by OUTsider on Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:14 pm 
/me wavez @ wensu

You got it right! 8) I couldn't say it better

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]