It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: PERMANENTLY ACCESS SUSPEND with reason
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:01 am 
#Userguide Member

Lately I was in this situation where I had to suspend some access to several users in some channels. The thing is that I don't think the 372 is enough and that we need a permanent solution, its not about the fact that I can suspend it for 1,2,3 days or 1,2,3 years.
For some reasons some of us needs this command along with a reason.
I'm pretty sure you will say that it will be hard to create this and that there will be no more room for some proper logical/tables added to the structure that we already have. But I am sure that we could add this where it says:
suspended-user 100 By admin!iadmin@the.one.who.suspended.you.com
PERMANENTLY - He is not able to keep it up with the rest of the team.
PERMANENTLY - Until the manager will return and take a decision

or there could be another column next to the one with "access suspended ?" named " suspend reason ? " or it could be in the same column with the access suspended ?
I'm sure this could be implementable here as well as I seen it already in some other nets that use gnuworld.

Also please keep in mind it could be also VERY useful to the administrators, project managers and so on from other committees as well as we do not have the "alumni status" option to enable for those users that resign or request a temp (could be years some times) removal.
Instead of adding and removing them all the time we could set a global access suspend with a proper reason.

What do you guys think ?
we could use :
/msg X suspend <#channel> <username> <duration<M|H|D|PERMANENTLY>> [level] [reason]

Please understand that is not the "permanent ban" situation where we could say that this could get the DB crowded with "infinite" hosts or IPs. Here it will keep just the usernames that could be strongly administrated by the CSC.

P.S. I think this has been discussed some years ago ? but I can't find it on the forum as this search engine is that advanced.

Post subject: Re: PERMANENTLY ACCESS SUSPEND with reason
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:04 pm 

Seriously, I don't get it, why do you want it PERMANENTLY? If you don't want that guy to be able to use his access just REMOVE HIM. This "PERMANENT" thing is just for the "good looking" face of "/msg X access #your_pretty_channel_here suspended_username -modif", the fact is that this command looks useless, you can use the maximum duration, I think a guy could "keep up with the team" in one year (note that we have the 60+ days of the user deletion too -- so, if that guy logs in regularly I don't get it why the hell to suspend it "PERMANENTLY", just delete his user from the channel <as he is NOT PREPARED enough for taking part on your "BEST" team> and when you think that he HAS PASSED all your OVERWHELMING TESTS you can EASILY PROMOTE him/her>.)

Frankly speaking this feature is not that useful. You have a LOT MORE solutions than you think, just consult the command list: http://cservice.undernet.org/docs/xcmds.txt, read it and you'll find a better yet effective solution for your "biz".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:48 pm 

A simple and permanent solution to mark someone's inactivity would be lowering their access to 1. While it doens't completely disable their privileges, there's not much they can do either. The SUSPEND command has already enough complexity: personally, I find its maximum duration uselessly high.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:02 pm 
#Userguide Member

this command along with the one with -modif (modificated) could be useful.
We talked about the -modif showing the FIRST ADDED date and the last modification this along with the permanent suspension could help + if there could be a reason for those suspends.
Access 1 ... hmmmm I'll think at that as well :chinese:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:15 am 

xplora stated in a previous article that the "Added by:" can be seen, but not by regular users and that he'll talk to the coders about it. As I told you, there are a lot of solutions to use instead of "perm suspend".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:24 am 
#Userguide Member

xplora thought that users ware able to see that already:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10917
Quote:
Interesting, people with access are supposed to be able to see it too, will have to take that up with the coders.

CService officials can see that already, they always had this privilege

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:22 am 
Senior Cservice Admin

There is no point to doing a permanent access suspend, not when there is remuser, this is not a feature that will be provided.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]