It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Quit Messages in notify.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:04 am 

I feel that a useful, and handy feature would be to see to see someones quit message when notify says theyhave left IRC.

eg:

Before: * Mr_Tom has left IRC

After: * Mr_Tom has left IRC (Quit message)

It could also say if they left because of a nick change (doesn't ahve to specify the new nick).

At least this way we could see why someone has left IRC if they're in our notify list.

:D

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:54 am 

What You`re talking about it`s added to any kind of !seen bots like eggdrop, emech, darkbot (I believe), so You can get Yourself a bot like that and also compilate it and You`ll have that... as about X to have something like that... I bet they will say that X haves enough things to do and the data base that generates all that it will be so full after that... This is only an oppinian, hope I`m not killing anyone with that, or... am I ? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:37 pm 

The quit message is displayed only in the channels where a person was in, and the IRC server doesn't "remember" it, just as it doesn't remember when a nickname was online last time, or what host it had, what channels it was on, and so on. On the other hand, your IRC client's notify function will periodically ask the server which nicknames from a list are online; the server simply returns a list of nicknames online. The only way for your IRC client to see the quit message of a person is to be in the same channel with it. Otherwise, there is absolutely no way for the notify function to find out the quit message from the server. Also, the notify list is on your IRC client, not on the server, so the server will not notify you in any special way when one of the nicknames you watch quits. This is how IRC works. Notify has other restrictions as well; for example, it only works with nicknames, you can't add an IP on your notify list, or a computer's address, or an ident; only the nickname. So if a person you know connects with a different nickname or changes nickname, your notify will show them as disconnected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:52 pm 
#help member

mIRC's notify feature works by sending an ISON command from time to time:

/ison nick1 nick2 nick3 nick4 ....

The reply contains only the nicks that are online

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:11 pm 

Aaah, ok.

Cheers :)

:roll:

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]