It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 5 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Did no one get my cowbell reference?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:20 am 

I just spotted something I have an issue with (sorry, again.)

In your readme.txt, you instruct users to prevent mIRC from disabling the $decode command. I know there are times this is really necessary to do something functionally important to the script, but it looks like the only time it is utilized in the script is to decode something the script $encoded right before it is called. Surely there is a better way to /sockwrite the data without exposing your users to a huge security risk.

I want you to understand, I KNOW you would not spread infected files to your users, but YOU are opening up those users (many of whom will be less than computer savvy) to receiving/distributing such files. $decode is disabled by default for a reason. Once you've had them turn that off (for what seems a very trivial reason) you've given the script-kiddies a whole new audience to play with.

Here is a little advice I script by (learned by trial and error):

NEVER assume ANY dialog id is so straightforward that it doesn't require error checking! ASSUME your users are going to click on EVERYTHING clickable and have something in place to deal with that. If you think otherwise, then you're making a script for you and you alone (and I've done that, too.)

Not trying to pi$$ you off,
MrEen

Post subject: Re: UUS - www.user-com.undernet.org/uus
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:17 am 

OK well you guys maybe won't belive me, but im not an experienced mIRC user....so these posts are genuine i'm not just picking faults.

//load -rs $qt(C:\Program Files (x86)\Undernet User Script\start.uus)

* /hload: unable to open file 'C:\Users\shaun.okeefe\AppData\Roaming\mIRC\inis\notesystem.txt'
-
* /background: no such file 'C:\Users\shaun.okeefe\AppData\Roaming\mIRC\imgs\undernet.jpg'
-
* Loaded script 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Undernet User Script\start.uus'
-
Undernet User Script - Successfully unpacked files! Please wait until files load.
-
* /remove: unable to remove 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Undernet User Script\start.uus' (line 28, start.uus)
-
* /hmake: table 'notes' exists
-
* /background: no such file 'C:\Users\shaun.okeefe\AppData\Roaming\mIRC\imgs\undernet.jpg'
-
* /dialog: 'profilemanager' error loading icon 'imgs/uus.jpg'
-

This was when I launched the mIRC.exe from within the C:\Program Files (x86)\Undernet User Script folder...

If i'm this bad...just imageine newbies :)

Needs to be eaiser guys....Maybe an option asking them which OS they are using?!

S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:16 pm 
#Userguide Member

I think you did not understood what I have actually said, Simba.

As I mentioned and MrEen did too, a higher version of 6.3 is installing the configuration files and the default mIRC directory is the one from the %APPDATA% folder and not the one you install it to. Where you install the mIRC is only the mIRC.exe file and a few other files.

You will have to move mIRC.ini from the %APPDATA%\Roaming\mIRC to C:\Program Files (x86)\Undernet User Script\ in order to make your $mircdir be returned correctly. - just type $mircdir in the editbox and press the TAB button. or simply (//echo $mircdir) and it will return %APPDATA%\Roaming\mIRC instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\Undernet User Script\

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:35 pm 

Correct,

I copied the mirc.ini from C:\Users\shaun.okeefe\AppData\Roaming\mIRC over to C:\Program Files (x86)\Undernet User Script

Started up mirc.exe from within C:\Program Files (x86)\Undernet User Script

* /hload: unable to open file 'C:\Users\shaun.okeefe\AppData\Roaming\mIRC\inis\notesystem.txt'
-
-

Shall i start from scratch ?

S

Post subject: Re: Did no one get my cowbell reference?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:19 pm 
Forum Super Moderator

MrEen wrote:
I just spotted something I have an issue with (sorry, again.)

In your readme.txt, you instruct users to prevent mIRC from disabling the $decode command. I know there are times this is really necessary to do something functionally important to the script, but it looks like the only time it is utilized in the script is to decode something the script $encoded right before it is called. Surely there is a better way to /sockwrite the data without exposing your users to a huge security risk.

I want you to understand, I KNOW you would not spread infected files to your users, but YOU are opening up those users (many of whom will be less than computer savvy) to receiving/distributing such files. $decode is disabled by default for a reason. Once you've had them turn that off (for what seems a very trivial reason) you've given the script-kiddies a whole new audience to play with.

Here is a little advice I script by (learned by trial and error):

NEVER assume ANY dialog id is so straightforward that it doesn't require error checking! ASSUME your users are going to click on EVERYTHING clickable and have something in place to deal with that. If you think otherwise, then you're making a script for you and you alone (and I've done that, too.)

Not trying to pi$$ you off,
MrEen

Me! Me! Me!

I got it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:39 pm 

Simba, line 640 of start.uus can be changed from:

on *:START:{ hmake notes | hload notes " $+ $mircdirinis\notesystem.txt $+ " }

to:

on *:START:{ hmake notes | hload notes " $+ $scriptdirinis\notesystem.txt $+ " }

That should fix the /hload error.

(Although I'd make use of $qt, but we'll set that aside for the moment. Also the 2 lines above that one you'll probably want to make the same change as well.)

For the /background problem, change line 3669 from:

on *:start:{ .background -amsec imgs/undernet.jpg }

to:

on *:start:{ .background -amsec $qt(scripdirimgs/undernet.jpg) }

Hope that helps,
MrEen

P.S. Hopefully, in the final release these on start's will be joined in the same section. :)

P.P.S. Thank you Honey, for the cowbell.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:08 pm 
#Userguide Member

MrEen, a version for Vista or W7 will be released, the single thing that will be changed is to install the script into the %APPDATA% folder and that fixes the issue :-)

Also, modifying anything in start.uus will make the section you modified not to load anymore :-) That's a prevention for corrupted files.

P.S: Still waiting that list!

Page 5 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5