It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: #Class announcement Overkill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:17 am 
Forum Super Moderator

I just received these THREE notices from G announcing a class being held in ENGLISH:

Quote:
[20:03] -G- The Undernet User-Committee Class Project Famous Felon Tutors invite you to TWO Classes, a NEW one: Banning Practices, and Security: how to be safe on Undernet and IRC. Tutors will ask fun/stimulating questions and help in: EN, MK, RO, AR, FR, ES. Come skulk in the bushes with us! Just type /Join #Class - Now!
-
[20:03] -G- Undernet user Komimetot & Klas Proektot ve pokanuvaat na 2 casovi . Casovi za : Banovi & Zastita : kako da se bidi bezbeden na Undernet i na IRC. Ke dobiete interesni prasanja i sekako pomos. Casot ke mozete da go sledite na poveke jazici i toa : EN, RO, AR, FR, ES. DobreDojdojdeni ste na #class . /join #Class . Vi Blagodarime
-
[20:04] -G- El Comite de Usarios Class proyecto y famoso Felon Tutores invitamos a dos clases, una nueva: se prohiben las practicas, y de seguridad: como estar seguro en UnderNet y de IRC. Los tutores le preguntara por diversion y estimular preguntas y ayudar en: EN, MK, RO, AR, FR, ES. Ven esconden en los arbustos con nosotros! Solo tienes que escribir /join #Class - Ahora!

Now I wish to ask why, if the class is being held in English, and anyone not understanding English would not understand the class, why are notices being sent out in other languages?

The English version states that there are tutors to help in other languages, and which ones.

Seems like overkill, seems unnecessary and it is annoying.

Rant over.
~Eenie

Post subject: Re: #Class announcement Overkill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:08 pm 

It may seem counterproductive, but we typically get about 20-25 more people in #class per announcement - and those numbers stay correspondingly high for the duration of the classes. Also we do some classes in those other languages, and have lots of helpers in the aforementioned languages (plus a few more) It works. An additional 'feature' is that some time back we started using G for the announcements. Anyone not wishing to see those global announcements need only ignore the nickname "G" to avoid seeing them (not for you Eenie, but as a general notice to others.)

:)

John aka PapaJohn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:36 am 
Forum Super Moderator

papajohn wrote:
It may seem counterproductive, but we typically get about 20-25 more people in #class per announcement - and those numbers stay correspondingly high for the duration of the classes. Also we do some classes in those other languages, and have lots of helpers in the aforementioned languages (plus a few more) It works. An additional 'feature' is that some time back we started using G for the announcements. Anyone not wishing to see those global announcements need only ignore the nickname "G" to avoid seeing them (not for you Eenie, but as a general notice to others.)

:)

John aka PapaJohn

Appreciate your reply, PapaJohn, but my point is that one must understand English to attend and comprehend the English class. I would think the G notices for class in other languages would be used when that language class is being presented.

Having 20-25 people "more" join after each notice may be happening because the G notices never mention the class is going to be held in ENGLISH. I am betting the majority of those users part as soon as they realize that. (Although your count seems to say otherwise. Not sure about that, myself.)

I do like to know when a class is being held, so ignoring G is not an option for me.

Getting the notice three times in a row in 3 different languages just seems ridiculous to me.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it ;-)

~Eenie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:53 am 

All I can say about the responses is that there are a lot of questions to the back channel during the english classes in languages other than english. I don't know if it is because many people can read it well enough but not reply in it, or some other reason, but the way we have things set up it's enjoyed rather a lot of success. Example: I can read french quite well but to respond in it is quite another story. I have to rely on my english for that. Other than that I'm fresh out of theories. Sorry the extra globals bug ya -- the way we do things seems to work :)

John aka PapaJohn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:27 am 
Forum Super Moderator

Probably not, but I don't know ... related to usercom, BUT...

In less than one hour, G has spammed Undernet users four times to donate to the people of Haiti after their devastating earthquake.

FOUR notices in less than ONE hour!

I have seen people leave Undernet because of them tonight, I have told countless people how to ignore G.

Since when does Undernet spam its users for donations?

Bah.

~Eenie

P.S. I want to add I am all for people donating what they can to help out! (Just don't like being solicited by Undernet to do so, four times an hour.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:25 am 

I have to agree with Eenie.

While I don't really think it's Undernet's place to be spamming for Haiti donations, the odd message isn't going to really bother me. That said, multiple times an hour is certainly overkill.

In addition to that, I must question the recommended charities, too. For me, red flags go up as soon as I see "fox news".

I don't donate to charities if spreading the word of God is high on their mission statements, and they're the kind of charities that spring to mind as soon as fox news is mentioned.

Undernet shouldn't be endorsing such charities, explicitly or implicitly.

A website like Charity Navigator would be a far better target to point people at. It provides a centralised resource for assessing different charities for appealing attributes before donating.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:22 pm 

Same for me it's good idea but it's not place for that.
The local media.. this go a pleasure of show death this to make collect as if it vulgar things
Nobody has l' learned from this phenomenon, I wish it has anybody d' elsewhere!
A great think for those who are died , and to a think for future!

Peace!

Guillaume M.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 pm 

Four global notices won't get people "donate more"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:54 am 

Franky said: "Four global notices won't get people "donate more"

I might SERIOUSLY consider donating more if it'll make the notices stop!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:50 pm 

These notices ARE annoying ! and completely useless.
People will not donate more, and especially to a country who never did anything for us,
milions are sent every single day there from Canada, and U.S. dunno about the other country, but we are the one with the most generous heart around. we got budgets for these kind of issues.

sending abusive notices and asking for money is a sign of weakness, just send a small message for them, and its enoug. Undernet is in no position to make this kind of announcements.

If you want to open a paypal account, and gather REAL donations, and sending them to the RedCROSS on the name of UNDERNET it would be a GREAT idea.

but harrassing people to click on a google.com link... no ty.

remember that creating a email addy like donations@undernet.org and linking it to a paypal takes less then 20 mins.

-winks-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:13 pm 

[quote="xplo"]These notices ARE annoying ! and completely useless.
People will not donate more, and especially to a country who never did anything for us,
milions are sent every single day there from Canada, and U.S. dunno about the other country, but we are the one with the most generous heart around. we got budgets for these kind of issues.

sending abusive notices and asking for money is a sign of weakness, just send a small message for them, and its enoug. Undernet is in no position to make this kind of announcements.

If you want to open a paypal account, and gather REAL donations, and sending them to the RedCROSS on the name of UNDERNET it would be a GREAT idea.

but harrassing people to click on a google.com link... no ty.

remember that creating a email addy like donations@undernet.org and linking it to a paypal takes less then 20 mins.

-winks-[/quote]

I think it is a bad idea as PayPal are greedy, it is surely a better idea to donate directly to Red Cross instead.
There is also a chance that the fund could get hijacked by the corruption.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:23 am 

By the way, i hate do spam, and its not my goal, but if you click on the following link, it will redirect you to the RedCross's website where you can donate and make an actual difference.

When you donate to your supermarket, or your work, well they get a credit for the yearly tax reports.

RedCross, does not. since its a non-profit organisation.
(sorry for my spelling)

Use this url for more info: -----> http://www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=33898&tid=001

( i think BBcodes are off in this section of the forum. )

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:47 am 
Forum Super Moderator

xplo wrote:
By the way, i hate do spam, and its not my goal, but if you click on the following link, it will redirect you to the RedCross's website where you can donate and make an actual difference.

When you donate to your supermarket, or your work, well they get a credit for the yearly tax reports.

RedCross, does not. since its a non-profit organisation.
(sorry for my spelling)

Use this url for more info: -----> http: //www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=33898&tid=001

( i think BBcodes are off in this section of the forum. )

UM .. xplo .. why make the above post when you had just stated:
xplo wrote:
These notices ARE annoying ! and completely useless.

You cannot have it both ways.

And I really don't think you spamming the Red Cross here in this forum is any better than Undernet spamming for donations. Not to mention, spam (for any reason, be it a virtuous one or not) is against this forum's AUP. You have read it, haven't you?

Let's get back on topic, shall we?

~Eenie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:49 pm 

Above everything we should *NOT* forget that we are HUMAN BEINGS. Forget about your pride or your ego for one minute and consider that you could be one of those persons affected by the natural disaster. Instead of wasting your time posting pointless topics/posts you people should really try to wake up and no think virtually about everything that comes around. We have our own lives to think and care about, don't we? If not, then you might easily carry on commenting those 'whatsoever' <spam> messages you're talking about.

And about PEOPLE leaving UnderNET -- they'll probably come back, you, Eenie, of all -- you should know better that UnderNET is a free Network with services FREE of charge. Nobody is paying for what they're being offered -- experienced or unexperienced users quitting and reconnecting are a normal thing on such a network, you should not worry about people quitting UnderNET as you will see them the following day reconnecting. If not, good for them, they woke up and recalled that they actually have a life.

And please be so kind and do not comment this post. Thank you. You're doing a good job for all of us :) even tho you're not paid for what you're doing, it's highly appreciated, but that doesn't mean that if we're doing volunteer work then we are allowed to accuse others of doing extra-humanitarian acts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:37 am 
Forum Super Moderator

Crys wrote:
Above everything we should *NOT* forget that we are HUMAN BEINGS. Forget about your pride or your ego for one minute and consider that you could be one of those persons affected by the natural disaster. Instead of wasting your time posting pointless topics/posts you people should really try to wake up and no think virtually about everything that comes around. We have our own lives to think and care about, don't we? If not, then you might easily carry on commenting those 'whatsoever' <spam> messages you're talking about.

And about PEOPLE leaving UnderNET -- they'll probably come back, you, Eenie, of all -- you should know better that UnderNET is a free Network with services FREE of charge. Nobody is paying for what they're being offered -- experienced or unexperienced users quitting and reconnecting are a normal thing on such a network, you should not worry about people quitting UnderNET as you will see them the following day reconnecting. If not, good for them, they woke up and recalled that they actually have a life.

And please be so kind and do not comment this post. Thank you. You're doing a good job for all of us :) even tho you're not paid for what you're doing, it's highly appreciated, but that doesn't mean that if we're doing volunteer work then we are allowed to accuse others of doing extra-humanitarian acts.

Crys:

We all have our opinions and that is what this forum is for. To state them.

Thanks!

~Eenie

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next